News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Device Programming???

Started by WLS, September 03, 2009, 06:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLS

Greetings Everyone,

I was thinking about getting into device programming and have a question or two.

What kind of programmer should I be looking for? I was thinking about picking up one of these:

EasyPro 90B Universal USB Programmer.

It is suppose to be able to program 5000(+) devices and have free software updates.

Would this one be a good choice to start with? Does anybody have one and if so what is your opinion?

What kind of compiler is needed for programming chips?

I have Microsoft compilers for C and C++, and a Borland compiler that I know can do asm. Or would something else be better perferably free?

Any other thoughts would be appriciated on internet resources on this subject.

Thanks,

Bill

Since I've breadboarded it I can only blame myself.

But It's Just A Chip!

pjwhite

Quote from: WLS on September 03, 2009, 06:40:56 AM
Greetings Everyone,

I was thinking about getting into device programming and have a question or two.

What kind of programmer should I be looking for?

It depends on what kind of devices you want to program.

QuoteI was thinking about picking up one of these:

EasyPro 90B Universal USB Programmer.

It is suppose to be able to program 5000(+) devices and have free software updates.

Would this one be a good choice to start with?

If it supports the devices you want to program, yes.

QuoteDoes anybody have one and if so what is your opinion?

I don't have one of these myself, but from the description on their webpage, it looks pretty good.

QuoteWhat kind of compiler is needed for programming chips?

I have Microsoft compilers for C and C++, and a Borland compiler that I know can do asm. Or would something else be better perferably free?

You haven't indicated why you want to program devices.  If you are planning to write a replacement BIOS for your PC, the Microsoft or Borland compiler might be useful.  But if you want to write programs for 8051 or PIC or some other microcontroller, they won't do you any good at all.

Can you tell us more about what your goal is?

WLS

I was wanting to get into programming DSP devices. I don't know a lot about it yet but I have done some reading. And of course their is quite a bit more reading that will be required. I had a feeling that the compilers I have would not be of much use for these devices.

I would like to program PIC's and Microcontrollers to start.

Thanks,

Bill

But It's Just A Chip!

Blue_Toad

Exactly what WLS said,

Basically every processor has some way of getting the program into it, sometimes there is what is called a bootloader (A little program that is already on the chip that let's you program them) or sometimes it's what's called a JTAG or serial programming mode. Different chips (even when they're made by the same company) use different programming modes.

If you want to program PICs I'd suggest you use the PICKit 2, which is about $50 and you can buy it from Microchip. It supports most of the PICs that are out there. For other processors you'll have to figure out if the PICkit will do it, (reading page after page of datasheet) or build your own programmer (out of a PIC) or buy a programmer $$$$

BlueToad

WLS

Quote from: Blue_Toad on September 03, 2009, 07:00:56 PM
If you want to program PICs I'd suggest you use the PICKit 2, which is about $50 ...
...or buy a programmer $$$$

BlueToad

Thanks Blue Toad for the suggestion on the PICKit 2. I 've seen this also mentioned on other forums. But I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and bought the EasyPro 90b. It only ran $115.00 USD and they where offering two adapters with it. A dip to PLCC32 and a dip to PLCC44 for free. It lists that it supports Microchip's products and I seen that some people have used them for programming AVRs ie the Arduino. I figured since it was not a whole lot more than the PICKit 2 and that it shows the ability to be flexible across many manufactures I couldn't go wrong.

At least I hope not!

As I stated I have a desire to get into DSP and buying a programmer is just the first step. I have done programming in C++, java and dot.net to mention a few and I realize that their is a learning curve from one language to another.

But I think the hardest part for me will be the sellection of hardware and what architecture to base things on.

Is their any schematics on DSP pedals? I've searched the forum but can't seem to locate any.

thanks,

Bill

But It's Just A Chip!

carrejans

I am selling my first PIC programmer: a GalvaWisp. Very good for the beginner.
Here is a site about it: http://www.picbasic.nl/frameload.htm?http://www.picbasic.nl/galvawisp2.htm (sorry, only Dutch)
Now I use an official PIC programmer; and have been programming DSP's.

If you are interested, I can make a nice price. PM me.