Gristleizer PCB group buy? Who's interested?

Started by Taylor, September 16, 2009, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

I would be interested in one like in his nice build report.
That was a nice looking board.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Taylor

John Lyons made that. I'm sure he'd make another.

big bustle

completely curious about this

where does one land on the ettique/moral/douche bagerie scale if one were to make and sell a few these

bluesdevil

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Taylor

My bad, bluesdevil. I misread Josh's post - John did the powder coating, my eyes mixed it up. Sorry about that, don't mean to take your business away.

bluesdevil

Ha, no problem. Just funny to see John automatically get lip service from you guys.... even for my work.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Taylor

Well, again, it wasn't so much PCB=John in my mind, as the fact that in Josh's build, the phrases "john did the" and "PCB etch" are mere millimeters apart. I'm a scooch dyslexic. Apologies.

Taylor

Quote from: big bustle on September 18, 2009, 03:09:31 AM

where does one land on the ettique/moral/douche bagerie scale if one were to make and sell a few these

I pretty much assumed people would do this. I can't think of any other reason why these guys would be wanting 4 of the PCBs. As with all stompbox ethics, you can pretty much decide how you feel. You didn't design the circuit. You didn't do the layout. But the same is true for lots of commercial effects. You're not going to be taking food out of anyone's mouth, except the others who plan to sell them. Maybe you could kick me a couple extra bucks when you sell one for doing the free layout, if you felt like it. A guy called Roy Gwinn did the original design in the 70s, if he's still around, and if you felt really compelled, you could try getting his blessing. But the truth is that other people will make and sell them and nothing will come of it.

big bustle

Quote from: Taylor on September 18, 2009, 04:21:17 AM

I pretty much assumed people would do this. I can't think of any other reason why these guys would be wanting 4 of the PCBs. As with all stompbox ethics, you can pretty much decide how you feel.

In the case of behaving like a gentleman I feel it is important to ask the creators if this is ok. Glad you're down with it. I wonder if Chris Carter should be asked as well.

You didn't design the circuit. You didn't do the layout. But the same is true for lots of commercial effects. You're not going to be taking food out of anyone's mouth, except the others who plan to sell them. Maybe you could kick me a couple extra bucks when you sell one for doing the free layout, if you felt like it.

How about links to buy PCBs from you for folks that want to make their own?

A guy called Roy Gwinn did the original design in the 70s, if he's still around, and if you felt really compelled, you could try getting his blessing. But the truth is that other people will make and sell them and nothing will come of it.

one more question. off the top of your head, ball park figure for the parts not including pcb or enclosure? i'm guessing $40 +/- $10. am i close?

markeebee

For info.....

Roy Gwinn's original PE article here:
http://rubidium.dyndns.org/cag/pdf/gep.pdf

Gristleizer on TG website here:
http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/tg/gristleizer.html

New 'official' Gristleizers here:
http://www.smashingguitarsasheville.com/products

Smashing Guitars also have a PCB available - I think it's $50, but I've also seen it listed at $30.

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I've contacted Roy to get his blessing for our efforts. Or otherwise.

krellmusician

tiges_ tendres

I pretty much assumed people would do this. I can't think of any other reason why these guys would be wanting 4 of the PCBs. As with all stompbox ethics, you can pretty much decide how you feel. You didn't design the circuit. You didn't do the layout. But the same is true for lots of commercial effects. You're not going to be taking food out of anyone's mouth, except the others who plan to sell them. Maybe you could kick me a couple extra bucks when you sell one for doing the free layout, if you felt like it. A guy called Roy Gwinn did the original design in the 70s, if he's still around, and if you felt really compelled, you could try getting his blessing. But the truth is that other people will make and sell them and nothing will come of it.

I cant speak for anyone else, but I was personally planning on giving a couple of these that I made away.  I've been fortunate to rub shoulders with some talented guys, and it's always nice to give them a new tool for their arsenal.

Try a little tenderness.

aleister

yes, i too would be in for a few or couple depending on price. i probably will end up giving them away  to my friends if i build more than one of these.
my bobkat will kill your mustang and maim your jaguar, harmony gits rule!!!

Ripthorn

I might be in for one or two (in case I screw it up on the first go).
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Taylor

I'll make the layout and figure out the costs at various quantities, and let you guys know.

markeebee

I got a reply from Roy, saying he has a "2009" design using more modern components and a new filter.  Apparently he is a forum member, but has never posted, and will give this thread a once over and maybe post something for us.

Taylor, do you think it might be worth holding off for a few days?

Taylor

Sure, I'm in no rush personally. I probably won't be building one of these anyway, as I'm pretty set on this kind of effect. I'm really just doing this as a small way of giving back to this great forum, from which I've learned so much, and for all the effects I've made for myself using other people's layouts.

jacobyjd

Quote from: markeebee on September 18, 2009, 07:20:41 PM
I got a reply from Roy, saying he has a "2009" design using more modern components and a new filter.  Apparently he is a forum member, but has never posted, and will give this thread a once over and maybe post something for us.

Taylor, do you think it might be worth holding off for a few days?

That's awesome! I know we'd love to see an update to the circuit :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Roy

I got here, eventually.

Part of the reason why this design works is the really lo-fi FET section. There'll be lots of second harmonic, and to have that nonlinearity in the impedance to ground in a multipath filter will cause all sorts of artifacts. When I designed it, this crudeness could be put down to inexperience. I should have put half of Vds on the gate, but I didn't know about that then.

Endangered Audio in North Carolina are sending me one of the Gristleizers they've made. They tweaked it a bit, putting on the known improvements of an external BIAS control, and a LED following the LFO. There was some ticking trouble, which I've always believed was down to layout, but they've done their own fix for that.

I shall have a good old poke around with that and see what the distortions are.

Roy Gwinn

markeebee

Thanks Roy, let us know how the EA box fares.  Maybe you could then post us some tweaks for the "definitive 2009 Gristelizer"?

Taylor - that ok with you?