Recommends for a DIY Flanger project?

Started by frequencycentral, September 19, 2009, 07:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

About time I built a flanger methinks. I don't know much about what's out there in DIY land. Which one? I don't want something mad-complex, but enough facilities to have fun with. Parts should be easily available. Layouts are not a problem, I can replicate a PCB layout onto perf, I avoid stripboard at all costs, I can work up my own perf layout if neccesary. Recommends?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

kristoffereide

I don't know much about flagers, but I hope you find a good one and share the layout with us. I love your layouts!!!!
Quote from: biggy boy on April 12, 2009, 06:22:33 PM
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek:

frequencycentral

:icon_biggrin: Well of course! Layouts are made for sharing!

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cathexis

Syncronicity? I just posted my Sapphire flanger layout. I like it a lot, it's not as complex as the A/DA (not as absolutely wonderful either...), and it uses a BBD that still is fairly easy to find. Check it out.
LARS

frequencycentral

The Morley sounds nice as does the ADA, but:

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 19, 2009, 07:50:22 AM
I avoid stripboard at all costs

Guess it's time to open up DIYLC!!

edd29

from cathaxis layout ADA FLANGER. this is my favorite flanger.
this is a big board  layout but   I know you can make smaller layout  for us
we will wait thanks ;)

BAARON

I'm pretty happy with Tonepad's FL301.  Very nice vintage, vaguely chorusy sounding flanger.  Very lush instead of metallic.  Plus, it uses MN3007s instead of the elusive SAD1024, so it's cheaper to build than some...
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

fpaul

Depends on what you want.  I bought a Guyatone after giving up on an ADA board.  It's more of a super chorus.  Kind of gives the Heart Barracuda sound.  Then the ADA board became available.  It has a much more sweep and a more vocal sound.   I like both but if I had to choose one I'd pick the ADA.  It's much more radical.  I'm not sure I would perf one though... actually I'm sure I wouldn't.  On the manufactured pcb it was one of my easier builds, fired right up.  Although I did need a frequency counter to calibrate it.  Don't think this are available right now though.
Frank

StephenGiles

Quote from: edd29 on September 19, 2009, 10:35:41 AM

from cathaxis layout ADA FLANGER. this is my favorite flanger.
this is a big board  layout but   I know you can make smaller layout  for us
we will wait thanks ;)

here's the original!!

Here is the full sized photo
http://www.4shared.com/file/133869202/8f682428/ADA_Flanger_vero2.html

Best to download the photo for excellent clarity - I have a very steady window sill!

There seems to be an assortment of buffered, unbuffered and nothing in particular cmos chips in there! How does that answer that old chestnut question about the type of cmos chips to use??
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Ice-9

Hi Rick. I think you first have to ask yourself what BBD chip can you get to use or would prefer to use. SAD1024, TDA1022 or one of the MNxxxx series chips, I do like the TDA1022 chip, but thats coz it was the first effect i ever built.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Ripthorn

Why don't you figure something out with submini tubes, Rick?  Just kidding.  I've been thinking I might need to get in on the flanger action, too, but for me, budget-minded chips are preferable.  I think that means something like the MN3007 or whatever it is.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

oldschoolanalog

Try Thomeeque's EM/1022 flanger. All the classic EM sounds, plus loads of features that set it apart from others. A truly beautiful, unique sounding unit. Plus you can be only one of 3 people who has built one (you would be the third :icon_cool:). 
That, and/or an A/DA.
Or, wait for "Son of Storm Tide" and really go for it!
Have fun. I assure you; once you have built one flanger it won't be your last...
All the Best!
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Fender3D

I just build this MXR from shreadaholic modded to accept MN3007 (I used TDA2107).
This is the schematic or pdf www.wizardinside.it\foto\schemi\flange.pdf
Not really sure about the min clock freq to use I set it at 54MHz ' cause I like it that way  :icon_razz:

Layout:
or pdf www.wizardinside.it\foto\schemi\flange_brd.pdf
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

edd29

Quote from: Fender3D on September 19, 2009, 01:17:40 PM
I just build this MXR from shreadaholic modded to accept MN3007 (I used TDA2107).
This is the schematic or pdf www.wizardinside.it\foto\schemi\flange.pdf
Not really sure about the min clock freq to use I set it at 54MHz ' cause I like it that way  :icon_razz:

Layout:
or pdf www.wizardinside.it\foto\schemi\flange_brd.pdf

the link is not working or can't found.

Thomeeque

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 19, 2009, 01:00:39 PM
Try Thomeeque's EM/1022 flanger. All the classic EM sounds, plus loads of features that set it apart from others. A truly beautiful, unique sounding unit...

Oh, thanks Dave! :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_mrgreen:

But, as the name says, it's based on TDA1022 BBD chip, which unfortunately may be pretty hard to get :(

Anyway, if still interested, here's the thread | build instructions | demo

Enjoy! T. :)

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 19, 2009, 01:00:39 PM
..Plus you can be only one of 3 people who has built one (you would be the third :icon_cool:). 

Yeah! :icon_mrgreen:
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Fender3D

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Thomeeque

Quote from: Fender3D on September 19, 2009, 07:01:33 PM
Quote from: edd29 on September 19, 2009, 03:26:20 PM
...the link is not working or can't found.

fixed

Some browsers (e.g. my Firefox) may still have problems with a format of the links (backslashes, no protocol). This works for me:

http://www.wizardinside.it/foto/schemi/flange.pdf
http://www.wizardinside.it/foto/schemi/flange_brd.pdf

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

edd29

StephenGiles

I built a deluxe EM using TDA 1022 25 years ago!

What's with "recommends for......" Is it Cornish by any chance?

Oi recommends
You recommends
'e recommends
Web' recommends
Youb' recommends
Theyb' recommends :icon_biggrin:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".