info on "clyde" wah pot and "whipple" wah pots

Started by liddokun, September 19, 2009, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liddokun

Does anyone know anything about these two pots, in terms of quality? I know it's subjective, and there's been many discussions about which "sweep" is better, etc etc.
But I don't know anything about these two pots.

First one:

pot sold by guy who makes the whipple inductor
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ICAR-Taper-100K-Wah-Pot-Fits-Vox-Crybaby-Fulltone_W0QQitemZ290347896639QQihZ019QQcategoryZ47076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

then

clyde pot
http://cgi.ebay.ca/WAH-PEDAL-ICAR-CLYDE-POT-REPLACEMENT-POTENTIOMETER_W0QQitemZ370262752794QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5635613e1a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Only difference I can see is that one has a dust cover, other one doesn't. I know all the pots these days claim to be ICAR, can't really determine this and if I'll like it or not, but just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with either who can vouch for one, or share experiences?
To those about to rock, we salute you.

aziltz

i installed the whipple guy's pot in my wah.  it sounds too bassy.  the sweep extends too far into the bass.  i think I measured the Pot and its actually 200k.

then I modded a crybaby for a client with a small bear wah pot.  the small bear pot is 100k Icar and you can count on it.  It sounded the best.  Hit the right areas on the sweep for a throaty vocal sweep.

liddokun

Really?
Thanks for sharing. I've only ever tried the hot potz II and hot potz I, and I know the hot potz I has a nicer broader sweep.
I guess I'll have to give it a go and see. Just that I don't want to pay for the $17 pot and then the $10 shipping and not like it, so I'm trying to do the research.
To those about to rock, we salute you.

aziltz

Quote from: liddokun on September 20, 2009, 01:28:12 AM
Really?
Thanks for sharing. I've only ever tried the hot potz II and hot potz I, and I know the hot potz I has a nicer broader sweep.
I guess I'll have to give it a go and see. Just that I don't want to pay for the $17 pot and then the $10 shipping and not like it, so I'm trying to do the research.

i'm waiting til my next big small bear order, but i'll eventually swap out for Steve's ICAR pot.