Building your own Pedaltrain style pedalboard....this might be useful

Started by liddokun, September 20, 2009, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigchasbroon

bluesman that is sweet. Especially loving the tweed. Since im a carpenter i am going to check out my garage tonight for some suitable materials and get to it. the cheap pine that ikea use is probably not very sturdy. I think iwill go with mahogany if i cant get a nice light piece

liddokun

That looks amazing! What did you do for the isolated power supply? What circuit did ya use? Basic 9v regulation circuits?
To those about to rock, we salute you.

flo

blues_mang, that pedalboard looks really great!

How did you attach those door/drawer handles on top of the wooden sides? Did you use long bolts all the way through or is there an easier way?
(Forgive me, I'm a rather bad carpenter...)

About the "signal routing center", could you please elaborate on that one: Ins, outs, footswitches, knobs, toggle switches, front side, back side, top side?
I want to make a patch box and this one looks to have some good ideas!

blues_mang

bigchas, thanks for the comments. I built mine out of just solid white pine. It holds up quite well. It's just about 20" wide and the boards don't even sag underneath the weight of my foot. I'm currently working on my second for my distortion pedals. Then I think I'm going to build a cheap removeable lid.

liddokun,
I used GGG's 4 isolated power supply board. I have 2 boards mounted in the right side enclosure. So I have 6 x 9V and 1 x 12V and 1 x 18V to power my Neovibe. I then daisy chained the last output to the second enclosure that is my signal routing center. The second enclosure has guitar in and amp out jacks plus a buffered tuner output and a switchable loop that sends my signal to my compressor and envelope filter. I have it switched because these are always in front of my pedals, but I don't always have these on the board, so I can turn that loop off completely. Then I have a TB loop with a pot and switch for a feedback loop for my modulation pedals. I have a second TB loop with a pot and footswitch that goes to my dirt pedal board. Then I have a stomp switch that flip flops the orders of the loop...meaning I can put the dirt before the modulation and vice versa. Finally I have a stomp switch that switches the modulation loop to be in front of the amp or in it's effects loop. As you can see, I made it as versatile as possible. The only downfall is putting on the back of the board, it's a little difficult to stomp while playing, but most of these options are changed between songs.
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.

blues_mang

flo, for the handles, I counterbored the bottom of the board deep enough to fit the bolts. It was a rather difficult process to get right, especially with the angle of the board. See my comments above regarding the signal routing center.

-BB
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.

liddokun

Thanks for elaborating Brian!
Sounds like a very versatile board! Congrats!

bigchasbroon

Like I said I would. I made one with some stuff in my garage. this is basically 4 peices of 19 x 45 (3/4 x 1 3/4) and the sides were cut from 19mm thick board on the slant. and the rails were just screwed through the ends and filled in. I have since added velcro (hook & Loop) which was quite expensive at 6 GBP for 2.5m (8ft)
power supply next...

jacobyjd

Our 3-year old futon frame just gave up the ghost, so I sawed off a portion of it--it'll need some sanding and some feet to tilt on, but it's pretty much a one-stop-shop for a PT-style board for home use :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

andrew_k

Quote from: liddokun on September 21, 2009, 06:55:00 PM
On the contrary, I think with the correct reinforcements you could probably make a Gorm pedalboard that is gig worthy.
I disagree. I've had a gorm board for a year now and it's ready to be dumped, after only being used out of the house half a dozen times. PLUS, I extensively reinforced it to make it live longer.
The wood used in those gorm shelves is the worst pine you'll ever be exposed to. I went through three shelves just to build one that would withstand any wear and tear at all.
Mine has legs underneath to get it on an angle and allow the power supply to be mounted underneath:

tuckster

Does anyone know if there's a proper ikea enclosure for the gorm pedalboard?
I want to build one to and need an enclosure to put my amp on top and be able to slide my gorm board in and out like a drawer.
  • SUPPORTER

pazuzu

Quote from: tuckster on October 25, 2009, 03:30:27 PM
Does anyone know if there's a proper ikea enclosure for the gorm pedalboard?
I want to build one to and need an enclosure to put my amp on top and be able to slide my gorm board in and out like a drawer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65762

buy some slides like that?

tuckster

I've got slides like that but I need A enclosure that just fits the board without using a saw. I'm to lazy for that right now :)
Yes I could buy a big plank and build my own but I hate wood work.
  • SUPPORTER

pazuzu

what are you looking to spend/what do you want it made out of?

tuckster

Not much. I found something:
INREDA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90105719
But there's no Board on Top and the Bottom is to thin if i turn it arround and put the amp on it.
  • SUPPORTER

liddokun

Quote from: andrew_k on October 22, 2009, 09:10:37 PM
Quote from: liddokun on September 21, 2009, 06:55:00 PM
On the contrary, I think with the correct reinforcements you could probably make a Gorm pedalboard that is gig worthy.
I disagree. I've had a gorm board for a year now and it's ready to be dumped, after only being used out of the house half a dozen times. PLUS, I extensively reinforced it to make it live longer.
The wood used in those gorm shelves is the worst pine you'll ever be exposed to. I went through three shelves just to build one that would withstand any wear and tear at all.
Mine has legs underneath to get it on an angle and allow the power supply to be mounted underneath:

Yes, I suppose they are $5 for a reason. I'll probably be building one in the same fashion as the GORM, but try and find my own, harder wood.