Darlington for output transistor

Started by Crazyyellowfox, September 30, 2009, 11:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyyellowfox

I'm not doubting that this has been tried, but an NPN darlington works nicely for the output transistor,
some tweaking with the biasing is required, but you can get a nice hot output with an MPSA13/MPSA14
I was also able to coax a darlington pair of two Russian NPN germaniums (mp10) to work for a nice
buttery midrange. in conjunction with two hfe-matched 2SB324 PNPs.

blackcorvo

i did some tests but i only have BC517 darlingtons, and AC107, that were the only germanium PNP transistors i could find here in my town. there's only one place that sells N.O.S. electronic components but they only gave me this model when i asked for germanium transistors... and this one is weird because the red dot close to one of the leads poits the Collector, and the usual - as i heard/searched - is for pointing the Emiter...
I also played with the diode a bit, trying Leds, Zenners, Germanium and Schottky. Myself i preffered the Zenner and the red Led, because they didn't clip too early like the Germanium and Schottky ones. About these two, i think the Germanium sounded best. The schottky sounded too compressed and distorted to my taste. i really like a louder output with less distortion for building clipping modules, so i can use a little trick: i put zenners just after the output capacitor, in way they do the clipping by their voltage, wich gives a little compression in the wave before the "real" clipping, then i put a small resistor in series with the output (nothing higher than 2k, usually 330R), and after this resistor i put the clipping diodes in the usual config. for me it sounds great.

that is another idea people couls use for building distortion circuits: putting clippers in a "cascade" config like that to get different flavours of distortion.
She/They as of August 2021

borman09

An operational amplifier ("op-amp") is added in the circuit.