workaround for the invalid session !

Started by donald stringer, September 26, 2003, 07:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

If you have had as much trouble as I have with accessing this forum from aol, my wife suggested I try internet explorer. Now I have diystompboxes.com entered in my fav. places in internet explorer/ I can get into the forum and post messages. Even after you get in you might have to log in two or three times before it acknowledges you but for now I am just staying logged in. So it is not like I dont have a life if you see me in here actually I have been way busy with trying to not become another economic statistic/and loosing so far. But any way it works. The little time I have had to come here is spent battling the computer monsters. But it looks likes I have won this session :D
Quote: ..If you build it they will come, I can promise you that.
troublerat

donald stringer

That was so easy that I just had to reply to myself. Use internet explorer and you might find yourself liking this forum a little better.
Quote: A little  change  will do you good. yall come back now ya here
troublerat

Andy

there have been known issues with aol browsers.  I have had LOTS of trouble logging in lately.  I also have had trouble replying to posts as well.

Andy

Just a heads up aron.
Andy

Rodgre

ah, but I have Invalid Session issues EVEN WITH Internet Explorer. Not so much with this forum, but with another forum set up the same way.

Roger

donald stringer

It seems like this is working for me so far and I wouldnt have known that if were not for my wife she is pretty much a genius when it comes to  this sort of thing and I just stumble  around and make some pretty good accidents every now and then.
troublerat

Andy

Quote from: Rodgreah, but I have Invalid Session issues EVEN WITH Internet Explorer. Not so much with this forum, but with another forum set up the same way.

Roger

Must be something with the programming of the softare this site uses.   It doesn't happen often but it does.
Andy

Peter Snowberg

This software keeps track of users with a PHP device called a "session". The only downside to that method is that sessions expire in a number of minutes set by the web host. If you don't have some activity every once in a while, your session will expire.

Provided your browser identifies itself consistantly (AOL is schitzo, thus the problem), you can keep your session from expiring by clicking on a link every so often.

When composing a long message, I just hit the preview button after each paragraph to tickle the session. If I write a reply using Word, I compose the reply, copy it, hit the "reply to post" button, and paste the reply in. If you start a reply and loose your session in the middle, that board may hiccup and tell you you just posted hen you didn't. :(

When running your own host you can just make the sessions a few hours long and many session problems just go away.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

SoundTech

Unfortunately, AOL has been my ISP for quite some time.  Soon, I'll be getting DSL.  But, for as long as I've had AOL, I've NEVER used their browser.  I get online, I check my AOL mail, an I use other software for EVERYTHING else I have to do.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))