1N4001s vs. 1N4148 As Clipping Diodes - What's The Difference?

Started by Paul Marossy, October 31, 2009, 10:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchovie

Quote from: Greg_G on November 01, 2009, 10:08:17 PM
Not questioning your figures, but I'm surprised a 51pf cap would cause a frequency roll-off that low.. especially as some effects use caps as big as 1000pf in a feedback loop.
Can you elaborate on the formula used to calculate that please ?

The frequency roll-off is affected not just by the cap, but by the value of the feedback resistor too (in brett's example the gain pot set at 450K). If you've seen 1000pF used then there was most likely a smaller value resistor.

Formula is 1/(2*pi*R*C).
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Greg_G

Quote from: anchovie on November 02, 2009, 08:23:01 AM
Quote from: Greg_G on November 01, 2009, 10:08:17 PM
Not questioning your figures, but I'm surprised a 51pf cap would cause a frequency roll-off that low.. especially as some effects use caps as big as 1000pf in a feedback loop.
Can you elaborate on the formula used to calculate that please ?

The frequency roll-off is affected not just by the cap, but by the value of the feedback resistor too (in brett's example the gain pot set at 450K). If you've seen 1000pF used then there was most likely a smaller value resistor.

Formula is 1/(2*pi*R*C).

Thanks anchovie.. I've had a good think about what's going on and I believe i have a better understanding now.

I wonder if the diodes in the loop have any effect, compared to a feedback loop with just RC and no clippers ?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Greg_G on November 02, 2009, 09:23:44 PM
I wonder if the diodes in the loop have any effect, compared to a feedback loop with just RC and no clippers ?

Do you have a breadboard? You could put something simple on it and do a quick A/B comparison.

My guess is that you looked at it with a scope you would mainly see far more clipping with the diodes and there would be more odd order harmonics present than without the clipping diodes.

Greg_G

Paul

I was really wondering aloud about any interaction between the effect of the diodes and the capacitor... as opposed to the capacitors effect when no diodes are present.

Plexi

Reborn old thread!  ;D

As I said in another thread, I'm building the Lovepedal Karl fuzz.

It use 1n4148 and BAT46 for clipping.

Are 1n60 or 1n5819 good substitute for BAT46?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

bluebunny

Probably, but depends on your value of "good".  :)  Try it and see!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bool

Quote from: Plexi on April 25, 2017, 08:26:23 PM
Reborn old thread!  ;D

As I said in another thread, I'm building the Lovepedal Karl fuzz.

It use 1n4148 and BAT46 for clipping.

Are 1n60 or 1n5819 good substitute for BAT46?
1n60 (the silicon vesion) maybe.
You could try BAT85 or a BAT41

Plexi

Thanks!

I mean by "good" for the most close result to the original one

I used 1N60.. but.. I thought that they was schottky germanium

ashcat_lt

Come on guys!  The difference is obvious just from looking at them.  The 400x is black and boxy, while the 4148s are more colorful and transparent.  Duh.  ;)

Anywho, the cap in the feedback loop parallel to the gain pot is actually a shelving high pass.  It acts like a low pass in this case because it's in the bizarro world of the negative feedback loop where everything is upside down and backwards and attenuation becomes gain.  So, you figure the corner frequencies like this:

Fz is going to be basically your "cutoff" frequency, everything above Fp is going to be unity, and the gain below Fz will equal 1/a...

...but the value of R1 is actually the parallel resistance of the gain pot and the effective resistance of the diodes.  That resistance changes depending on the voltage across them, which of course changes depending on the gain of the circuit which of course you can't calculate until you know that effective resistance, all of which is dependent on where the signal actually is in its signal swing at any given instantaneous moment...

So it's already pretty complicated.  The cutoff frequencies literally slide around continuously.  You can sort of squint and estimate what it would be when the signal is very small and the diodes are basically open, and also what it would be when the signal is very large and the diodes are kind of like a short...except they're never actually 0 ohms and their real value is difficult to determine.

I have to admit that I don't actually know whether diode capacitance will appear to be in series or in parallel with that effective resistance.  If parallel, it's kind of easier (given the above complexity), if series, who the hell knows?

pinkjimiphoton

do a search on my old "transmission overdrive"

it uses a pot to sweep between a 4148 clipper and a 400x clipper.  works great, you can get some interesting sounds thru the sweep. the 400x's clip later and are very smooth sounding, the 4148's clipped faster and had a more "normal" distortion sound. you could use the pot to blend between them.

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

I'm surprised no-one has pointed out that the difference is 147.   ::)
  • SUPPORTER

Plexi

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on April 27, 2017, 02:25:12 PM

it uses a pot to sweep between a 4148 clipper and a 400x clipper.  works great, you can get some interesting sounds thru the sweep. the 400x's clip later and are very smooth sounding, the 4148's clipped faster and had a more "normal" distortion sound. you could use the pot to blend between them.

Nice one..!
Like the "clip" pot in the WH Swollen Pickle MKII, that pan between two diodes.

bluebunny

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on April 27, 2017, 02:25:12 PM

This reminds me that I need to box up my transdrive board that I stuffed sometime last year...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER