I don't even know where to begin...Any help would be much appreciated

Started by ljzimmer, November 01, 2009, 08:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljzimmer

I am trying to think through a project in my head and need some help. It will be a matrix based on an analog devices matrix chip.  My vision is that there would be two sets of selectors (one for x and one for y) and then an "enter" button that would engage the switch in the matrix.   The first hangup I have encountered is that the chip will need a 256 bit serial word.  Each bit triggers a "switch".  I have looked at CMOS options but everything that I come up with utilizes more components that I think is worth while.   

In broad terms what would be a more effecient way to make this happen??? 

Have I provided enough information?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Loren

ElectricDruid

An efficient way to do this is to use a microprocessor. If that makes you groan, sorry.
A fairly small PIC or AVR would be able to scan keys for the X and Y selection, display the state on an LED, and send new serial data to the matrix chip. The chip count wouldn't be much beyond those two alone.
If you do decide to go down that route, there are *loads* of tutorials on the web to get you going, and you'll soon start seeing the usefulness of a uProc in all sorts of projects.

Tom

ljzimmer

No groan here   :icon_biggrin:  I had been looking into that a little lately.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Loren

cloudscapes

yeah, micros seem liek the easiest way to go for something like sending bits.

the easiest I know of is AVRs with the BASCOM compiler. BASCOM uses basic, which is so easy a programming language that it more-or-less looks like english sentances.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

ElectricDruid

Yeah, that's a good thought.
Alternatively, you could probably use an Arduino module, and then you wouldn't even have to mess about doing the hardware beyond a few switches and leds, and you'd find loads of people who could help you. Arduino code is more-or-less C/C++, but it's fairly easy to read.

T.