Silicon Fuzz Face with Buff n Blend PROBLEM

Started by sevenisthenumber, November 04, 2009, 11:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

I did a silicon FF with bc109's from Andrew Carrells layout and the Buff n Blend from the vero layout floating around.
The fuzz sounds killer with no probs alone. When I add the B n B i cant get the CLEAN to completely go away? Never had this happen and its making me insane.... When the blend is at 100% FUZZ i still have a little clean goin...
Any ideas....?

One more thing...:
What are R1 and R2 doing in the b n b? How does changing them from 1m - 10m change the circuit?

Thanks

connie_c

sevenisthenumber

i have used the B n B in tons of circuits but never a fuzz..

Derringer

you could try putting a switch in that disconnects the clean signal from the mix pot

I have this blend on a big muff and yeah .. a little clean still bleeds through at full muff rotation ... but I like it blended in the middle so it's really not an issue for me

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: Derringer on November 05, 2009, 08:37:36 PM
you could try putting a switch in that disconnects the clean signal from the mix pot

I have this blend on a big muff and yeah .. a little clean still bleeds through at full muff rotation ... but I like it blended in the middle so it's really not an issue for me

How is this possible?

connie_c

Quote from: Derringer on November 05, 2009, 08:37:36 PM

Im interested in this too. Would what you are saying not just result in a big muff but a bit quieter?

If its possible to get the buff n blend to work well in a fuzz then im missing something. I couldnt get it to do anything useful in a recent attempt to put one in a big muff. i came to the conclusion that the circuit was probably designed for effects that dont boost volume. 

Derringer

check out the Deluxe Bazz fuzz at the bottom of this page to see what I mean about the pickup simulator
http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

The same concept applies to a fuzz face. FF's like to be driven by pickups, not buffers. I did a blend circuit with a bazz fuzz once and just used a 10K resistor. My bass player has been using it for quite a while now.

Concerning the volume of the effect and the blend ... it all depends how you plan to use it. I installed a clean blend on my bass player's green big muff and it's an ideal mod for bass. You retain the attack and low end of the bass but with the fuzz on top. And when you think about it, when the effect is engaged, the clean signal still has the same volume as it did prior to engaging the effect. You can turn up the volume of the fuzz for a bit of a boost if that's what you need.

For guitar, I've found that blended fuzzes/distortions work well with other distortions either before or after them. Take a look at the Ampeg Scrambler and think of how that device can be used.