Rocktave True Bypass?

Started by john.hostetter, October 29, 2010, 06:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.hostetter

Hi everyone. I recently finished my Rocktave and it sounded great except that it was wayyy too loud when I kicked it on. I installed a 3pdt and a 100k audio pot to control volume. Nw when I turn on the circuit I get a thick fuzz, but no octave. The divide by 2 and 4 controls don't do anything. Neither does the rotary switch for the 4017. I have switched out all of the chips multiple times (except for the amp). Any suggestions?

john.hostetter

I'm still having zero luck with this. I'm super bummed because I loved the effect when it was working, but I can't figure out what I did to mess it up! Here is how I have it wired:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55646037@N08/5151594864/

Any suggestions?

Derringer

put it back to stock to see if it still works correctly, then you'll at least know if it's something to do with the volume pot or not

what layout did you use?

john.hostetter

Sorry Derringer, I should have done that before posting...duh! I used the GGG layout here:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/22-octave/130-rocktave-divider

I now have it back to its original configuration. Same problem. So I guess my true bypass adventure wasn't the culprit. It makes a nice sounding fuzz...but there is no octave division at all. I've replaced all the chips with no luck. Are there reference voltages available somewhere? Could it be a bad transistor or diode or cap? Thanks for your help!

john.hostetter

So I've been using a probe to try and figure out where the problem is. I'm almost sure that it's with the 4017. There is signal at the input (pin 11), but none anywhere else (except a very faint signal at pins 6 and 14. Can anyone tell me why my 4017s don't seem to be working? I have replaced them 4 times now with the exact same results. I don't think I'm frying them before I put them in the circuit. May be I bought the wrong chip? They are labeled: CD40175BE. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

john.hostetter

OK now I'm 90% sure the 4017 is the problem. The ones I ordered from mouser are Flip-flops, not Counters. Am I right?

anchovie

Yes, you are. Despite the logic family being known as "4000 series", some of them have 5 digits!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

john.hostetter

Doh! It totally works now. Sigh, so much blood sweat and tears for such a simple, stupid mistake. Oh well. Thanks!