new method for mounting fx pedals

Started by tempus, November 10, 2009, 11:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempus

Hey all;

I think I've found the ultimate way to mount pedals to a pedalboard. Take some of this stuff:

Then cut off 1 link with a hacksaw, and use the screws on the back panel to attach it to the pedal. You can then screw it into wood or metal, depending on your board. I found that I had to round the edges a bit with a Dremel to get them to fit nicely on the pedal too.

jacobyjd

I don't exactly remember who it was that was offering them for sale, but someone posted awhile back with their own version of something like this--basically, little brackets that fit between your enclosure's lid and the enclosure itself. You could bolt everything down that way.

I'd use that method if I was going on tour and didn't plan on changing/rerouting my board at all. Since things change on a regular basis, this method doesn't work well for me. Good find though!
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bigchasbroon

thats a good idea. That stuff is called tie band or hole band and is most readily available at plumbers merchants. As Jacobyd says its bit permanent especially for a serial pedal maker ;D but my dimebag wah has rubber feet with screws these screws hold the base plate on, they are a funny size and too long to hold the plate on with out the feet so i think I will use it for that pedal. Thanks

R.G.

One guy a few years back found that the links in bicycle chain had two holes about 1/4"/6mm apart and they made a great little tab just like this.

This clever guy then bloomed his own flower, advertising kits of pedal screw downs, which consisted of four each bicycle links, for about $10-20, can't remember exactly. I think he even made some comments about filing for patents on it, etc.

I never saw much about it after that, but it was interesting.  :icon_biggrin:

I think about ten minutes in a bicycle shop would get you all the pedal mounts you'll ever need.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mth5044

+1 on the bike chain, although only if you are really dead set on that being your rig. Total PITA if you are a constant swapper.

B Tremblay

Quote from: R.G. on November 10, 2009, 12:27:32 PM
...clever guy then bloomed his own flower...

RG, your Texan euphemisms always crack me up!  :icon_wink:
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

petemoore

I strip an end of hard-core wire [10Ga. IIRC], twist that end [I partially cut the wire at the end/end, then use the other side of the loop I created to pry around, wire nippers], so that the colored insulation part'll stretch across [to protect against scratches to some degree] and ~1/2 way down each side, size, and create a tight enough loop at the other end the same way, doing the final loop size fit-tightening by putting the screw through it.
  Nice once you do a few, you can get it to hold very tight and have only 1/4'' above the mounting...I use boards.
  I can stick a pedal, any size, securely and within a few minutes, release with 1 screw.
  Requires about 1/2'' space between pedals.
  Another way I use for Raco's is make the the board rips the pedals mount on are smaller [thinner] enough than Raco bottoms [this allows access to the Raco/top screws] which I screw right down on 3x ~1/16'' feet [two in front, one in the back], no inbetween space required.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tempus

QuoteOne guy a few years back found that the links in bicycle chain had two holes about 1/4"/6mm apart and they made a great little tab just like this.

That's right - I remember seeing something like that on eBay once. I guess my subconscious mind came up with this variation.

Oh and I'm definitely not a pedal swapper so this'll work great for me. I'll post my board when it's done.