News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Show Your Workbench

Started by DougH, November 16, 2009, 08:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

Mad Scientist obviously.  Or kin to Paul.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

deadastronaut

Quote from: stallik on January 21, 2018, 09:00:08 AM
My workbench is tucked behind the door in my music room/office. Doesn't feel as small as it looks.
Organised one drawer for resistors. Took ages to print then cut the card only to find I'd missed a load of values which now have to reside in the 'others' section. Wireless Oscope saves a bit of room but with so little space, it gets messy during a build. Or maybe that's just me :)

is that the worlds largest tactile switch next to your pcb drill press? ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

stallik

Kinda looks like it in the photo. Its actually a fan to save me blowing away the dust
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

Quote from: stallik on January 24, 2018, 11:34:43 AM
Its actually a fan to save me blowing away the dust

My first thought was to say: "you lazy tart", but on reflection, I think "how ingenious" is more fitting.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Its OK Marc, Lazy tart accepted.  ;)
Every time I blew it away, it'd come back in my eyes. This way, it goes in someone else's  :icon_evil:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

deadastronaut

cool, yeah i cant stand that board dust....nasty.

thats the main reason i went over to eagle and pcbs...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

patrick398

New high tech component bins available at my local supermarket. And they come with some kind of free bean/tomato sauce combination which i don't think will take off.

bluebunny

I realise that the bean/tomato sauce combination may help with shock-resistance for the parts you store in your component bins, but having to de-goop each one when you want to solder it must be a PITA??  ???
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Or, solder straight through it and end up with a coating to disguise the components and an interesting working odour :)

patrick398

Yes it really is a poor mans epoxy.

dano12

I posted a pic in the lounge thread and was directed here. So a few before and after pictures.

This is the space I started with. It was somebodies basement workshop that looks original to the 1951 house. Lots of fun nooks and crannies but very little actual bench space. I could fit my laptop and a few things but now really do a project.

So to expand this, I decided to build and extension of "L" coming off the existing setup. I bought some lumber and built a top surface with lots of structural support.

I got the top attached to the existing 2x4s on the bench and built legs on the end. Here is my significant other having sushi to test it out.

I got the first coat of stain on it and started working on the bottom shelf which you can see in the background.

Bottom shelf in and I built a riser with a couple of shelves for more storage.

Ready for work!

Still have a lot of cleanup and organizing to do, but I like how it has turned out so far :)

patrick398

Looks great! I'm particularly jealous of your wire dispenser. I tried to fashion something like that out of old toilet roll tubes. Failed miserably as you can imagine.

jdom1984

bean

How happy am I to see Dano active again? This much!

Morocotopo

The center of my bench:

Circuit  tester. A piece of plywood covered with the finest vintage tolex possible (actually a leftover piece of some amp) An aluminum plate for shielding (under the green plastic) At right a box with in, out, power and bypass switch. At left an "L" piece of aluminum with holes for pots, switches, etc. A couple of protoboards and many many jumper wires.

By the way, in the little protoboard in the pic, you can see a couple of unobtainable parts: Two (yes, TWO!) CLM 8200/2´s. Heh, heh, heh!!
Morocotopo

dano12

Quote from: Morocotopo on March 12, 2019, 07:19:30 PM
... covered with the finest vintage tolex possible (actually a leftover piece of some amp) An aluminum plate for shielding (under the green plastic) At right a box with in, out, power and bypass switch. At left an "L" piece of aluminum with holes for pots, switches, etc. A couple of protoboards and many many jumper wires.

This is great. I typically have bought hobbyist cutting mats for the 'sacrificial' surface to protect the bench. But Tolex, well that's just plain brilliant and I will have to try it.

Ben N

Emptied wine glass, well, the snobbery! My bench has a beer bottle. (OK, it's half filled with water, so I don't have to run my solder station sponge to the bathroom, but still.)
  • SUPPORTER

Toy Sun

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful  :)

bluebunny

MUST.  BUILD.  MAN-CAVE.
  • SUPPORTER

Plexi

I've really love and admire how clean, organized and full of tools are those workbenches.. or I would say workshops?
Mine is a f*cking mess, things everywhere, in my old bedroom (now "present" bedroom after unemployment).. etc. Sometimes, need to unplug the solder to charge the phone, etc.
I'll promise pics when I get something closer to a "workbench"
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.