New Phaser Design - “Causality 4” – Built with you in mind!

Started by frequencycentral, November 22, 2009, 04:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Looking at the pad side of your perf, you have missed a vref trace, under R26. The vref connects m10 to o10, then continues up to k9.

Quote from: keto

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

tuckster

Hi Rick,

I built the MK2 based your pcb layout. I created the layout with ExpressPCB.
This is my layout.
The phaser works but it's oscillating. It's like a siren... I noticed that I build the phaser with a 1m Rev pot for regen.
The cuircit is oscillating with and without the regen pot. It's oscillating but it seems to work like a phaser. Every pot does it's job even if the guitar signal is not used :D
The voltages for the ICs are very similar to yours mentioned before. Except the regen pot every part is like the MK2 layout with your recommendations:

* R5 = 220k
    * C4 = 47uF
    * R33 = 47k
    * R12 = 100k trim

What could be the reason for the self oscillation?

• SUPPORTER

keto

DUDE!  Wow, man, I cannot BELIEVE you took the time to do that....my undying gratitude! (Side note - he took the time to go to another forum and pull down my perf picture.  Beyond the call of duty?  I guess so!)  A simple 2 hole bridge, and I have a 100% functional phaser, thank you!  Much respect, sir.

My next question, and hopefully last, has to do with the 'rotating' LED's.  So,

Is that saying this? (Do I even need R2, that is, will the voltage reduction of R1 continue to the 2nd LED or will being attached to Range 3 take it back into a full 9v circuit?)  Having not tried it, I'm just scratching my head about running power 'backwards' thru the 2nd LED, and am not sure I am understanding the schem, as simple as it is.

Thanks in advance.

mth5044

Haha, because I thought you drew two penises, I will try to help you. 9v goes to the anode, which you drew, but you have Ra in the wrong position. Ra should be between the LED and lug 3. Then you have Rb, which looks good, but that connects to the anode of the second LED, where you have it to the cathode. Then switch the cathode to ground.

..I think

keto

Quote from: mth5044 on June 11, 2010, 10:25:37 PM
Haha, because I thought you drew two penises, OMG my wife walked in the room with that pic on my desktop AND THOUGHT THE SAME THING geeze I'm no picasso but is it THAT bad?  ROFL.

I will try to help you. 9v goes to the anode, which you drew, but you have Ra in the wrong position. Ra should be between the LED and lug 3. Then you have Rb, which looks good, but that connects to the anode of the second LED, where you have it to the cathode. Then switch the cathode to ground.

..I think

And so, as my artistic skills seem to be so amusing, I ask:

Thusly?  But then won't both LED's turn on at the same time, there's no polarity change?

Seems as though I likely still want to run a resistor between 9v and the first LED, or does R1 really stop the juice from hitting the LED full force?

mth5044

I'm not sure how it's working, I didn't really look at the big picture, but basing off of that little schematic clip you posted, I think your last pictures is right. How it works, I dunno. Maybe Ra(1) isn't connecting to 9v but to another Vref or something? I'm sure Rick will save the day in a bit.

frequencycentral

Quote from: tuckster on June 11, 2010, 04:50:22 PM
Hi Rick,

I built the MK2 based your pcb layout. I created the layout with ExpressPCB.
This is my layout:

The phaser works but it's oscillating. It's like a siren... I noticed that I build the phaser with a 1m Rev pot for regen.
The cuircit is oscillating with and without the regen pot. It's oscillating but it seems to work like a phaser. Every pot does it's job even if the guitar signal is not used :D
The voltages for the ICs are very similar to yours mentioned before. Except the regen pot every part is like the MK2 layout with your recommendations:

* R5 = 220k
    * C4 = 47uF
    * R33 = 47k
    * R12 = 100k trim

What could be the reason for the self oscillation?

A quick check over your layout shows the same missing trace under R26 as in keto's build. I know it's difficult to see on my PCB layout, but if you compare your layout to my PnP you'll see what I mean. Fix that trace, then report back, if you're still having problems I'll look at it again.

frequencycentral

The wax/wane LED thing definately works as drawn (by me). One LED is sensitive to the upper part of the LFO cycle, the other to the lower part. If you don't want the LED's to also be sensitive to the Width control you can hook them up from the output of the LFO at point L15 on the PCB layout instead of hooking them off the Range pot, this way they will flash at constant brightness irrespective of the Width pot's setting.

BTW, when using current limiting resistors with LEDs, it doesn't matter what order the resistor and LED are in, as long as there is a resistor.

Quote from: doc_drop on February 08, 2010, 09:14:21 AM
O.K. I now have extra bright blue and green LEDs flashing alternately. It is one of the sexiest things I ever saw!

Quote from: sundgist on February 08, 2010, 08:55:47 PM
I find it funny that we have people here painstakingly biasing their fuzzes just right, finding new ways to get 'that' sound, filling boxes with rare mojo components, and I'm over the moon with a pair of flashing lights :icon_biggrin:

frequencycentral

Haha, because I thought you drew two penises, I will try to help you. 9v goes to the anode, which you drew, but you have Ra in the wrong position. Ra should be between the LED and lug 3. Then you have Rb, which looks good, but that connects to the anode of the second LED, where you have it to the cathode. Then switch the cathode to ground.

..I think

BTW, I would councel against hooking your penis(es) up to 9 volts without a suitably large current limiting resistor between it's anode and +ve.   :icon_eek:

tuckster

Holy crap! Next time I copy a layout I need to concentrate.
IT WORKS!!!
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 12, 2010, 10:06:46 AM

..I think

BTW, I would councel against hooking your penis(es) up to 9 volts without a suitably large current limiting resistor between it's anode and +ve.   :icon_eek:

While I'd imagine this came from personal experience, I wouldn't believe it without pics (of your two penis) and how do you find out which end is the anode  ???

..Guess I'm off to make a penis library for eagle.

frequencycentral

Quote from: mth5044 on June 12, 2010, 10:39:38 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 12, 2010, 10:06:46 AM

..I think

While I'd imagine this came from personal experience, I wouldn't believe it without pics (of your two penis) and how do you find out which end is the anode  ???

..Guess I'm off to make a penis library for eagle.

Ah, it's a sorry tale. It started off as a lighthearted prank to take some of the on-stage attention away from my lead singer. But as time went by I found I needed more voltage to achieve the same effect. I started using two 9 volt batteries in series. Pretty soon even that wasn't enough and I was looking at back to back transformers and switched mode power supplies. Now, many years later, I am burnt out, the only thing that really turns me on is a Tesla coils in high heels.

frequencycentral

Quote from: tuckster on June 12, 2010, 10:35:33 AM
Holy crap! Next time I copy a layout I need to concentrate.
IT WORKS!!!

Great! Pics and soundclips please!

tuckster

Pic
Sound --> I have yet to record something. But I wait until I put in the correct speed pot 1M is too much.
  • SUPPORTER

tuckster

Keto: my girlfriend asked me yesterday "penis?" as she saw your drawing.. veeeery funny :D

This is my version. It's very easy:
  • SUPPORTER

keto

Thanks Tuck, I think that mirrors the 2nd drawing I did but anyways I'll refer to your example.  Should have it finished up today, will try and get time to youtube it.

keto

Mine ended up looking like this:

Guts, could stand a little tidying at some point:

For the external, I'm sorry but you're going to have to watch the youtube video  ;D  7minutes and change, all features explored.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjmauZ7Dao

frequencycentral

^^^

Really good video demo! I'd love to see you do another demo with a distortion before the phaser. Seeing the flashing LEDs makes me really want to add them to mine too...... :o

stringsthings

keto,

excellent job on that youtube demo ! .... i like your wiring job, also .... looks pretty neat to me ....
(i see that you used a trimpot for R12 .... good idea  :icon_idea: )

Brymus

Yeah Kudos on the LEDs  :icon_mrgreen:
I better finish my boxes that use LEDs for eyes soon or else people WILL think I am copying you and Dead Astronaut...

The demo is first rate !!!!!,now I know what it will do and that I have to build one !!
Maybe I can trade some Ge transistors for the ICs I dont have ? Anyone interested ? PM me (I'm in AZ USA)
I need the 084 and the 13700
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience