Looking for a good overdrive

Started by realizewhoitis, November 28, 2009, 02:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realizewhoitis

I already have a TS9DX with 808 mods and some other stuff but im looking for what is (in a general opinion) the best overdrive you have heard/built, it would be mostly used for the blues.  I know tone is different between everybody but im looking for your opinion

Talon5051

How about the Zendrive or the Barber LTD Sliver that David Barber shared with us about a year ago.

jkokura

Best overdrive I've played is the tS808, of probably 9 or 10 different pedals I've owned.

I'm building a LtD Silver soon, also a Blue Magic, I'll be posting in the coming months about them.

Jacob

captntasty

I like the Barber LTD but would change a couple of the trim pots to regular pots for external control.  The DOD 250 is another and it's very simple but I like the sound - just a nice simple overdrive that's fairly well balanced tonally.  Of course you could mod the 250 if you wanted some sort of control over the tone...  the 808 is what it is - nice if you like that really nasally mid-rangey.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Ripthorn

I actually really like the ROG Double D.  It is very versatile and sounds really good in addition to being rather simple.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

rousejeremy

Have you tried different opamps in your Tubescreamer? Put a socket in there and try out different dual opamps, 4558's TL072 etc.
The LM1458 has a great sound in that circuit.
Try different diode clipping as well.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Adji

I don't want to look like I am doing some blatant self advertising but my website is designed to answer this very question; Which Overdrive Is The Best? I am not going to tell you which one is best but hopefully my sire can help give you some information etc about various pedals. www.dirtbox.net

Hanglow

eternity and zendrive are the two that I use the most I think.

also doug hammonds highway 89 is well worth a go imo.

oldrocker

For me the HWY89 is the best OD I've built so far.  The Voodoo lab is great too.

Philippe

Landgraf Dynamic Overdrive...this one can be cloned if opting for the DIY route.

Analogman King of Tone...if one is inclined towards purchasing pre-built. Two separate channels with switchable clean/overdrive/distortion settings. Less inherent compression for a slightly more 'open' (i.e. natural) guitar sound + a bit more bass (& less mid-range) than a TS-808. The clean/overdrive tonalities are outstanding.

doubleg

How about the ROG Grace overdrive? http://www.runoffgroove.com/grace.html
I am planning on building it as my next project and looks fairly simple to put together.
There are sound samples on the ROG sight, this pedal has a nice clear glassy tone in my opinion.

deaconque

+1 on the LTD Silver.  Not a whole lot of overdrive but what it does have is great sounding for blues.  I also really like the ROG Thor and Box of Rock with the gain down around 9 o' clock