News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DIY eBow

Started by Guitarfreak, December 01, 2009, 11:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarfreak

I know this topic has been covered a number of times all over the internet, and I have found a number of threads discussing the topic, but I am totally new to this so I think I need a schematic or something.  I need to know what kind of PCB to get and what components and where they go and everything.  Sorry for being such a total noob, but I am having trouble finding a schematic for a very simple DIY project.

anchovie

Sure, in terms of what goes on a board it's simple. But how are you going to handle the magnetic aspect and what are you going to house it in so that you can keep it steady over a string?

As you are totally new to this, I suggest you build something else.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

jacobyjd

Essentially, this is one of those projects that isn't really worth the time and effort, unless you're building it to show off your skillz. Really, there's no practical DIY way to build an ebow into a package as small as the commercial product without dishing out a whole lot of cash.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Thomeeque

..especially if one would try to squeeze 220 millifarad capacitor there :icon_mrgreen:

Here's a Czech written report about one DIY E-Bow project, you can see original US patent documentation there and more.. I would not even think about trying after reading this report ;) Especially considering actual price of E-Bow (PLUS).

Btw. E-Bow PLUS has useful 2-modes switch, not on any schemo..

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Guitarfreak

Yeah I guess I didn't think it through that much.  I just thought that it would be an easy thing to make that I could show off to my friends and record with and just have fun with.  Peak budget $20-$25.  If I have to go higher I'd just forget it or get a real one.

MikeH

True a DIY ebow isn't really worth the time, effort or cash, but what I've always wanted to do is construct a diy ebow that has multiple coils to drive multiple strings.  Now that would be cool.  Ever tried to use 2 ebows at once?  Total pain in the ass, btw.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

jkokura

Quote from: MikeH on December 01, 2009, 01:49:58 PMEver tried to use 2 ebows at once?

I have, and you're right, it's difficult. Easy enough to tape them side by side, but the problem I had was wanting to use them on to strings side by side. You can't do that. There need to be two strings between the strings the ebow affects. Unless you can rig it some other way, but then you have a hard time with trying to make them work on the same pickup...

It's just silly to try really. Perhaps we can call ebow and get them to make a double bow version that affects two side by side strings.

Joe Stone

Quote from: jkokura on December 01, 2009, 01:58:00 PM
Quote from: MikeH on December 01, 2009, 01:49:58 PMEver tried to use 2 ebows at once?

I have, and you're right, it's difficult. Easy enough to tape them side by side, but the problem I had was wanting to use them on to strings side by side. You can't do that. There need to be two strings between the strings the ebow affects. Unless you can rig it some other way, but then you have a hard time with trying to make them work on the same pickup...

It's just silly to try really. Perhaps we can call ebow and get them to make a double bow version that affects two side by side strings.

There's always the sustaining pickup, though... sustainiac, or fernandes.

MikeH

Quote from: jkokura on December 01, 2009, 01:58:00 PM

The problem I always had was that the ebows effected different strings differently.  So one string would be really loud and one would be really quiet,  so you sort of have to offset them (one closer to the pickup than the other). But then you move to another part of the fret board or just change your fingering and now it's the opposite case, so you're constantly having to do this juggling of the two ebows in terms of which one is closer to the pickup.  It's really hard to do anything that isn't totally basic and dead simple.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Paul Marossy

Quote from: jacobyjd on December 01, 2009, 11:21:54 AM
Essentially, this is one of those projects that isn't really worth the time and effort, unless you're building it to show off your skillz. Really, there's no practical DIY way to build an ebow into a package as small as the commercial product without dishing out a whole lot of cash.

Totally agree on this one. BTW, I did a little page on the ebow a while back: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/EbowTech.htm
It's a very interesting little toy, and relatively simple circuitwise, but the hard part is making a practical and ergonomic DIY enclosure for it. You're better off just buying one.

Top Top

what is actually causing the electromagnetic vibration with these devices? Is it basically a pickup wired in reverse (like using headphones as a mic), with a strong op-amp driving it?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Top Top on December 01, 2009, 06:26:20 PM
what is actually causing the electromagnetic vibration with these devices? Is it basically a pickup wired in reverse (like using headphones as a mic), with a strong op-amp driving it?

Basically, there's an opamp, an input coil and a driver coil. The coils use a permanent magnetic core composed of Alnico-5 and sense/cause the movement of the string. When the string is plucked, causing it to vibrate, that movement is sensed by the input coil. This movement causes a magnetic field to occur, and it induces a current in the input coil. The electrical signal is then amplified by the opamp and produces a varying magnetic field of the same frequency in the output coil. The magnetic field of the output coil (driver coil) drives the string at its resonant frequency, and sustains the vibration of string. If you just place the Ebow on a string that is not vibrating, it will excite the string into vibrating because of the positive feedback designed into the circuit.

pazuzu

Quote from: Paul Marossy on December 01, 2009, 05:19:30 PM
the hard part is making a practical and ergonomic DIY enclosure for it..

and yes, that's a challenge.  :icon_lol:

Top Top

Thanks for the info... how much different is the driver coil from the pickup coil?

This is a long shot, but I have this inductor that I pulled from a TV I dissected. It looks like a large-ish electrolytic cap. Could something like this be used as a driver coil?

I am actually interested in this for a totally different type of instrument... a stringed/keyed instrument like a harpsichord, but with a method of producing sustained notes. I had thought of mechanical methods of doing this, but doing it electromagnetically may actually be a better way.

pazuzu

you could always just have one massive ebow that would run the length of all the strings and keyed non conductive pads that could be moved out of the way.

Jarno

A diy eBow might not be the most effective thing to do, but implementing some of these features might be interesting:
Moog guitar

Thomeeque

May I ask (even it's a bit off-topic), is here somebody using eBow intensively and powering it by rechargeable 9V (8.4V) NiMH battery? Is battery able to give sufficient power for sufficient time?

Yesterday I've bought one and just tryied it in my eBow for few minutes this morning and it seemed to by OK, but I'm just a beginner with eBow and I could not test it for longer time yet.

Thanks, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Jarno

I know Michael Manring is carrying "not quite fresh" 9V batteries for his eBows because he feels fresh ones have too much juice, so perhaps yes.

Thomeeque

Quote from: pazuzu on December 01, 2009, 07:35:11 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on December 01, 2009, 05:19:30 PM
the hard part is making a practical and ergonomic DIY enclosure for it..

and yes, that's a challenge.  :icon_lol:

I believe, that even guitar player should have some dignity ;)

Quote from: Jarno on December 02, 2009, 08:15:18 AM
I know Michael Manring is carrying "not quite fresh" 9V batteries for his eBows because he feels fresh ones have too much juice, so perhaps yes.

Thanks, Jarno! This is definitely interesting information!

Marcos - Munky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQhRFS6sRM

And in the user's videos there's two of him using his DIY e-bow, one is just the guts and the other is enclosured. Hope this helps.