Author Topic: Little Help needed here!!.(debugging)  (Read 7674 times)

1tczx

Little Help needed here!!.(debugging)
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:44:47 AM »
hey guys gt a problem here..
built this npn boost but it sounded like its nt working..
switch off bypass perfectly working
switch on the boost sounded like its still on bypass..adjusting pot does nth,
triple checked my switch no prob.
its like my the efx is having no effect on my guitar signal?it just goes thru the whole circuit n comes out clean like a bypass??

one more thing, is the boost suppose to work without the battery? i disconnected the battery while its engaged n it sounded as when the battery was connected no diff.

i used stereo jacks for both output n input jacks. its fine right guys?

aron

Re: Little Help needed here!!.(debugging)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
If the switch doesn't have any effect either the switch is wired incorrectly or the jacks are. Triple check those connections.

1tczx

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:32:52 AM »
aron i assume that the ground wire is the negative black wire of my battery??

1tczx

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:09:07 AM »
i just did away with my switch. jack straight into circuit board. however it still sound the same,,, as per bypassed.help...

1tczx

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:37:35 AM »

both input output to tips of jacks. still sounded like bypassed.
 pot not responding.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:02:05 AM by 1tczx »

Quackzed

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
looks like the lead on the left where the blue wire is connected may be touching the shorter copper wire beneath it through a trace... :-\
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

caspercody

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »
Try making an audio probe, and work your way back from the input to the output. On some of the projects I have made that did not work on initial start up, the probe is all that kept me from throwing it across the room. I would loo at that trace as Quackzed mentioned. Curious how you get any sound with only one wire going to each jack?

aron

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Where are the ground wires for the jacks?

1tczx

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:02:34 AM »
ground wires not attached yet. it will still work without grd wires right?
why wun it work with only 1 wire to each jack? try it it works with only 1 wire at tip for each jack.

GibsonGM

• more
  • Awesome!
  • Mike Parker (aka. Guitar Mike, Parks, etc)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »
No, you need to run the ground from the sleeve of each jack to the ground on the board, and then the battery connects there also.  These are "2 port devices"...a floating ground (which you have) will lead to reallllly crappy performance, lots of buzzing if the effect is working, and since there's no return path, your effect just won't operate correctly (or at all!).  You're probably just getting a straight-thru sort of thing, not having those gnds connected. 
Get 'em connected, and then see what you get! 
We've all been there, lol....after a couple of builds, you'll understand better why things don't work right the 1st time around. 
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Quackzed

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »
i totally missed that... i'd say aron gets the gold!
keeping my fingers crossed that once you add those ground wires you'll have a nice quiet boost!
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

1tczx

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 02:14:49 AM »
haha thanks man guys. didnt know grd wires were necessary. guess we learn thru experience . thanks alot agn guys this really revived my interest to start building again  ;D

1tczx

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »
haizz guys desperate here. just connected the grd wires and now its worse. not even any sound coming from it. help.!!!!

aron

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
Basic things first. Use your meter (you have one right?) put it on continuity mode (beep mode) and then plug a 1/4" cord into the input. Now put one probe on the tip of the unplugged cable end and then put the other probe on the blue wire of the input (left top on the pict). See if you get continuity.

Now, connect one probe to the sleeve of the cord and then touch the other probe to the ground wire of the board, check for continuity.

Now, put one probe on the tip and the other on the sleeve. See if you get a beep there.

Now test the output jack.  Plug the 1/4" cord into the output jack. Now put one probe on the tip of the unplugged cable end and then put the other probe on the blue wire of the input (right top on the pict). See if you get continuity.

Now, connect one probe to the sleeve of the cord and then touch the other probe to the ground wire of the board, check for continuity.
Now, put one probe on the tip and the other on the sleeve. See if you get a beep there.

1tczx

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:17:22 AM »
all this with power on or no power in circuit?

1tczx

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »
all gt beep except sleeve to tip. how now aron??