Wrong power polarity. What is the damage done? (aion flare fuzz factory)

Started by mongchacha, February 11, 2017, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongchacha

hi all,

so i just finished building the aion flare. before i was 100% complete, i realized that i had switched the wires for the ground and positive leads for power jack. but while the wires were soldered to the wrong leads, i actually plugged it in and clicked it on and off a few times. it was plugged in for about 30 seconds at most. upon realizing my mistake, i made the corrections and the pedal seemed* to work.

my question is: Would i have done any major damage to the circuit???

*i say "seemed" because this is my first experience with a fuzz factory. i know that it's known to make some wild sounds and, by nature, is a pedal you're supposed to tweak and tame. so while the correctly wired pedal did exhibit some noise, i just wasn't sure if it was acceptable or if it was from being damaged.

some things that are somewhat concerning is that the gate knob doesn't really seem to do much until it's around 3:00; i'd expect more of a range of control with this. also, at certain settings, this thing doubles as a christian radio station!

anyway, for anyone fairly experienced, i'd truly appreciate any advice or feedback.

robthequiet

If you built it according to the aion plans, the power section does include some polarity protection. You stand a chance that nothing bad happened, but the components you would check for damage would be the active ones, i.e. transistors, diodes, IC chips, etc.

EBK

Just quick hunches and impulses here rather than careful analysis, but, for what it's worth:

Consider replacing D1 and C5, maybe.

Check to see if the voltage at Q2's collector is changing over the full sweep of that gate pot.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.