ZD with more gain

Started by AndyG, December 11, 2009, 09:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyG

Any eazy way to squeez a little more gain out of the zd?

Andy

petemoore

yes, add an active gain stage.
 or
 Look at the schematic, then source the data sheet using the part# of the active components. Study the active components online.
 Find the way[s to alter gain, or add some hints ^ .  
 Is it anything like a tubescreamer ? I'm feeling psycic, hoping I'm right...if so, how does it differ in terms of gain ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AndyG

Yes it a ts with different clipping. Now I have the gain dimed and I have to hit it with a booster.

Andy

petemoore

All the TS mods apply.
  What is the feedback loop R at max gain, try a 1 meg there.
  There's a cap and resistor off the opamp that sets gain/frequency, making that cap bigger helps the bass amount.
  Maybe the circuit is already ''pegged'' with the booster in front.
  I assume you've played around with various clipping diodes.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

slideman82

I made one of these for a friend, and he has an original one, but this last has more gain... althought it doesn't sound better than the one I made! Probably newer versions have last stage not as a buffer but as a small gain stage.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

kurtlives

Increase the drive pot to 1M.

If that's not enough replace the 1k resistor in series with the voice pot with a 470R. You'll need to replace the 100nF cap in series to around 150nF-220nF to keep the frequency response the same.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

slideman82

I thought could be a 1M gain pot in this version I'm talking about... nevermind, it doesn't sound better than a TS
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!