JYETECH cap meter

Started by Skruffyhound, December 19, 2009, 05:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skruffyhound

I built the cap meter from JYETECH.com last night, it works and takes about half an hour to build. I cross-referenced with my other meter across a range of pF - uF values and types of caps, it's much less than 10% out if I look at the rated value and the reading on my other meter. 8 dollars I think, I bought their scope and got the cap meter for fun. The scope now has a google group dedicated to it according to their website.
       Only one important thing to remember, both the scope and cap meter are center positive on the connectors.

http://jyetech.com/en/default.html

Look for the cap meter on the menu to the left, can't link directly.

.Mike

I built one of these about two weeks ago. Really fast and easy. The only part that gave me trouble was the on/off switch. The lugs on the sides of the switch that are meant to hold it securely to the board were too wide to fit in the provided holes. A quick hit with a Dremel and they fit fine.

I bought mine from Seeed.com (link). It's the same kit. $10.82 delivered to Savannah, GA, and it took 19 days to get here.

It's a lot of fun. Most of the caps I have tested were well within the tolerances. The only caps that were out of spec are caps that I had salvaged from junk electronics. Some of those were waaaay off.

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

Skruffyhound

I got mine from Seeed too, but in Denmark it got to sit in the customs house for 3 weeks :icon_frown:
That switch was tight, but some controlled violence sorted it out for me, it will just pop in with pressure from a pair of pliers.
Interesting, the only cap I had that was way out was a salvaged tantalum maybe 20+ years old, others from the same device were fine, I put it down to some weirdness with that cap which was colour coded so (too lazy to check the code) I only had my other meter as reference. ???