[Tutorial] Making a Multicolor Etching!

Started by Slade, December 17, 2009, 12:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on October 22, 2010, 03:13:27 PM
I used 190gsm high gloss inkjet paper. Nothing special or expensive. I bought a 2000W iron, 3 minutes set to minimum heat just resting on the paper to heat the toner. Then the paper is pretty much stuck to the box, the masking tape peels off due to the heat. Then I ironed very hard from every direction for 6 minutes on maximum heat, loads of pressure, the paper won't move.
So.... just to make sure I am correct. I will be printing the toner from the LASER printer onto the INKJET high gloss 190 gsm paper? Is this right? Everything else is pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help  ;)
.......and remember to think about Slade as you transfer, he will watch over you as you work so long as you observe every tenet of his dogma. Maybe consider wearing a t-shirt with his holy image on it too. It'll help.
Maybe a continuous yet silent chant in my mind would be just what is needed for a good etch. (Slade is all knowing... Slade is all powerful... Slade is the Etch Master!)  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

frequencycentral

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 22, 2010, 03:24:41 PM
I used 190gsm high gloss inkjet paper. Nothing special or expensive. I bought a 2000W iron, 3 minutes set to minimum heat just resting on the paper to heat the toner. Then the paper is pretty much stuck to the box, the masking tape peels off due to the heat. Then I ironed very hard from every direction for 6 minutes on maximum heat, loads of pressure, the paper won't move.
So.... just to make sure I am correct. I will be printing the toner from the LASER printer onto the INKJET high gloss 190 gsm paper? Is this right? Everything else is pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help  ;)

Correct! A MONOCHROME laser printer according to the sacred word of Slade.

.......and remember to think about Slade as you transfer, he will watch over you as you work so long as you observe every tenet of his dogma. Maybe consider wearing a t-shirt with his holy image on it too. It'll help.
Maybe a continuous yet silent chant in my mind would be just what is needed for a good etch. (Slade is all knowing... Slade is all powerful... Slade is the Etch Master!)  ;D

I use this chant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRsekFYkCDM
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on October 22, 2010, 03:31:15 PM

I use this chant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRsekFYkCDM

Great. I got the instructions. I got the chant  :D Now I just need to find the paper. I found some at the office supply store but, I am having a hard time finding some with a rating below 225g/m2
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

markeebee

Ah crapsocks. I just bought a colour laser printer to do graphics and labels and shizz. Didn't realise that it might not do toner transfer as well. Gave the mono one away. I'll try an etch over the weekend.

markm

Quote from: markeebee on October 22, 2010, 04:47:39 PM

Ah crapsocks. I just bought a colour laser printer to do graphics and labels and shizz. Didn't realise that it might not do toner transfer as well. Gave the mono one away. I'll try an etch over the weekend.

In my old school opinion, and not being an etch expert, I would suggest a laser copier not a printer as alot of the printer toners are not going to work well at all.............as many of you have discovered!
I used to use an office copier and achieved tremendous results.
PnP Blue will work fantastic with this type of toner as this is what it was originally designed for.
PnP Blue can produce fine details like this but, I don't know, maybe you youngins can acheive the same with shiny glossy paper?!

alparent

Any body tried etching using Pulsar paper? If it works for PCBs it should work for enclosures.

I don't think the problems are with our papers........its  all about finding the right toner that will stick well.

I've also played with the iron's temp. for my paper and toner combination, I have to set the heat at 3/4 of the way ....... hotter then this I don't get good results.

tasos

i am thinking about doing some etching but using spray paint and stencils!do you think that will work?anyone tried it? ;)

deadastronaut

hi tasos, it probably will be ok,...the etchant wont eat through the paint...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

dromilious

Hi there!

Today i tried Slade's guide to etch my enclosure.
I used perhydrol 50% (h2o2) with hydrochloric acid like i do to etch my pcbs.The problem is that my letters and the pictures on the enclosure are not deep enough.what is the problem? i used many ratios between perhydrol and hydrocholic acid (1-4)-(1-1) but i couldn't go deep enough.
It is like the mixture is not strong enough to etch the aluminium.I had it in about an hour and it had stopped in a standar deep and then nothing.
Can you please help me?

Thanks.

Slade

I'm sorry to read that but I know about many guys from Europe that can't get good results or deep etches because of the acid they're using. I've not experience with any other kind of acids or about solutions, I just use a prepared solution that attacks the aluminium really hard.

dromilious

what prepared solution you use ?i have found FERRIC CHLORIDE GRANULES in a shop.is it the same with yours ?
Thank you by the way for the turtorial.

deadastronaut

ferric granules..(orange balls) .yep thats what i use...great results with a good strong mix... :icon_cool:

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

dromilious

thanks for your answers  :) Today i used ferric granules in a mix 1 part water and 3/4 granules.I can't say it was strong enough because it took me about 30 minutes to etch my enclosure.What mix are you using?I saw at the pictures that slade's ferric was much more darker than mine and i suppose it would be much more stronger!I will post some photos later to see my first attempt.

tasos

Quote from: dromilious on April 09, 2011, 08:29:19 AM
thanks for your answers  :) Today i used ferric granules in a mix 1 part water and 3/4 granules.I can't say it was strong enough because it took me about 30 minutes to etch my enclosure.What mix are you using?I saw at the pictures that slade's ferric was much more darker than mine and i suppose it would be much more stronger!I will post some photos later to see my first attempt.
i use the orange balls but instead of water i use aqueous solution of hydrochloric acid [10%]

deadastronaut

Quote from: tasos on April 09, 2011, 09:27:09 AM
Quote from: dromilious on April 09, 2011, 08:29:19 AM
i use the orange balls but instead of water i use aqueous solution of hydrochloric acid [10%]

yep i use the orange balls...but  warm water...fizz'z like .... :icon_wink:

ampsmaster

pdf in the first post doesn't exist... help please

tasos

Quote from: ampsmaster on March 08, 2012, 06:44:28 AM
pdf in the first post doesn't exist... help please
Page 4 ,Post#75
You lazy boy! ;D

seedlings

Quote from: markm on October 24, 2010, 09:39:02 AM
In my old school opinion, and not being an etch expert, I would suggest a laser copier not a printer as alot of the printer toners are not going to work well at all.............as many of you have discovered!
I used to use an office copier and achieved tremendous results.
PnP Blue will work fantastic with this type of toner as this is what it was originally designed for.
PnP Blue can produce fine details like this but, I don't know, maybe you youngins can acheive the same with shiny glossy paper?!

Man, the laser printer in my office is suck.  The copier may have the right toner, but the copies, even at darkest setting, are not solid black... I subscribed to the free Front of House magazine so I'd have an endless supply of glossy paper, but the toner printer or copier at my disposal is bunk.

I want to etch so bad that I made this the other day by cutting electrical tape... <sigh>

CHAD

deadastronaut

cool, it worked though eh!!!...looks good to me!!!!... :icon_cool:

now if we were all sign writers we could do some fantastic etches using paint... :icon_cool:

you've got to find someone with a laser printer man!....in fact they aren't really that expensive, i bought mine new with the toner for £50.00

i got sick of having to wait till my secretary(wife) came home from work with my prints... :D..its reall handy for knocking up a pcb etc...