tremulus lune questions

Started by shoegazed, October 01, 2005, 01:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoegazed

i'm still having trouble with my tremulus lune, the problem i'm having is:

the guitar sound when the pedal is on is very puny, and the pedal is making a swishy noise along with the tremelo pulse.

i've checked everything, and it seems right,... i'm probably missing something very small or really obvious.

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks, andy

Ry

Do you have the CDS cell and LED matched up and shielded from any light?

Ry

shoegazed

i'm using the vtl5c2 as the led/ldr. and it was doing the same thing in and out of the box. last night i took it out of the box to be able to really double check things, and everything seems fine.

it's certainly sweeping up and down, all tremelo functions (depth/speed, etc...) seem to work, it's just that the guitar sound isn't really making it through the circuit in tact,... and i'm not skilled enough to know why exactly.

i also tried different opamps, with no change. is there a possiblity that it's in the switching?

i was a little confused as to how to wire the switch for this project, and how the status led should be on the tonepad.com board.

thanks...andy

kleinberger

I've got the same problem. And, I'm also using a tonepad board. Everything works fine. I've got power through the circuit, and I've triple checked everything. Nothing. Led flashes and responds to the different pots.....just nothing coming out of the output section of the board. I also took the switch out of the circuit. I've been working on it every night for a week straight. Good luck with yours.....

KMS

Did you hook the ground from the guitar to the ground of the circuit? That must be done.

The LED is not a status indicator.  The LED lets you visually see the same thing that is happening in the LED/LDR so you can set your speed, depth, and all controls except the Gain without the audience hearing your tinkering around.  If you want a status indicator you will need to wire it into your box separately.

It is something real simple that's for sure (ie wiring or wrong part).  Mine worked like a charm the first time I fired it up so I know the circuit is right.
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds

(doug harrison)

1-25K trim*

*may need 100K depending on LDR used

kleinberger

Yeah, I've got the ground on the board going to the common ground on the input jack. Also, I have tried 25k and 100k. Both seem to sweep fine.....just no guitar signal getting through.

robotboy

If you haven't already, make an audio probe and trace through the signal path from beginning to end. When you hit a point where the signal drops out, you'll probably be able to figure out the problem pretty quickly. Any amount of debugging is worth getting the lune to work... Best tremelo ever!

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/audioprb.gif

ethrbunny

As long as the LED (inside, not outside) is oscillating per the pots you've got 60+% of the problem solved. The problem will be in the remaining half (third?) of the circuit which fortunately isn't very big. Try running some tones through it with the CDS cell exposed to bright light. Are you getting the full sound? Then put something over it to make it 100% dark. Should be nothing coming through.  If either of these don't prove out then you've got a good place to start.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

kleinberger

I'm using the vtl5c2 which is totally sealed.  I'm thinking at this point that it might have to do with the 1uf capacitor near the input..... Could reversed polarity get through the 1m resistors and fry the 1uf capacitor? I had a miss-hap.....blew the 4558 and have since replaced it. Could that have damaged the capacitors?

entropicp

I'm having a similar issue as well with the Trem Lune using the Tonepad PCB. I replaced the Vactrol and the second time around the tremolo is working strongly. However, I'm still getting the nasty swishing noise. I just replaced the IC chip with lower noise ones (LM4562 for the amplifier one and LM2904 for the LFO one) per a recommendation on Tonepad build reports but the swish is still there.
Any ideas?