Silicone Grease or Lithium Grease ?

Started by Rectangular, December 21, 2009, 05:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Forestiere

I am not trying to be flippant or amusing, But "KY Jelly" is a very effective lubricant designed specifically to not attack "rubber" compounds. It has a low viscosity, and could easily be squeezed or Q-tipped into the friction areas.
My $0.02   
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Skruffyhound on December 22, 2009, 04:10:40 PM
QuoteYeah, but for how long? Are you sure that it won't eat the rubber eventually?

I'm also a member on a very active Volkswagen forum, I work on my car because I can't afford a mechanic, but these guys are professionals  with years of experience, they recommended it. 3 years on its still looking great. We are talking old volkswagens her, mine is from '86, and thats a relatively young one, so old skanky rubber is the norm.

OK, well then it sounds safe. I don't much about that sort of thing. Good to know!  :icon_cool:

Ibanezfoo

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on December 22, 2009, 08:45:52 PM
I am not trying to be flippant or amusing, But "KY Jelly" is a very effective lubricant designed specifically to not attack "rubber" compounds. It has a low viscosity, and could easily be squeezed or Q-tipped into the friction areas.
My $0.02   

That stuff dries up to a rubbery substance...  I don't know that I would use it in any electronics.

Rectangular

thank you for saying it for me Ibanezfoo,  hopefully we can close that book now.

puretube

arghh, ~ 50 years ago, every contact could be cleaned with alcohol,
and every gear could be greased with vaseline...

Rectangular

Quote from: puretube on December 23, 2009, 06:10:35 PM
arghh, ~ 50 years ago, every contact could be cleaned with alcohol,
and every gear could be greased with vaseline...

ah, that would explain why this equipment was in such poor condition  ;)

plus apparently everyone used to smoke at their lab bench. luckily I don't come across smoke-damaged equipment very often.