New at runoffgroove.com: Tri-Vibe

Started by B Tremblay, December 24, 2009, 07:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainbender

I've built this pedal and it sounds good, but i'm not very impressed with the random ticking, background noise and some similar stuff. Tried NE5532, TL072 and few more with no luck. Always the same. :icon_rolleyes:
I'm thinking of Ross Phaser with Univibe mod.

B Tremblay

Quote from: Brainbender on March 02, 2012, 04:44:33 AM
I've built this pedal and it sounds good, but i'm not very impressed with the random ticking, background noise and some similar stuff. Tried NE5532, TL072 and few more with no luck. Always the same. :icon_rolleyes:

What layout did you use?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

lonewolf

you may have a problem with the led..it will make a thump/tick noise..I used the 3 diodes in series and socketed them....the ross phaser with the univibe mod is a more versatile pedal (with the vibrato).if you dont mind 4 dpdt mini switches and 1 spdt....but the univibe function sounds a little weak...

roseblood11

Quote from: roseblood11 on January 17, 2011, 07:24:55 PM
I really don't know what's wrong with my pedal...

It sounded really good, but it had much more hiss than all the pedals in the demos that are linked here. I replaced every IC, but the hiss stayed exactly the same.

No ideas? I checked every solder joint and every parts value. Can't find any mistake... I used André Schaaps layout.
The noise is gone completely if I remove the 13700. But replacing it doesn't help!

B Tremblay

Quote from: roseblood11 on March 03, 2012, 07:03:30 AM
No ideas? I checked every solder joint and every parts value. Can't find any mistake... I used André Schaaps layout.
The noise is gone completely if I remove the 13700. But replacing it doesn't help!

I'm sorry to hear that and I understand how frustrating it is to not find a fault or error.  All I can suggest is that you recheck the connections and components.  Something must be causing your build to behave differently than the others built with that layout.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Slade

Quote from: roseblood11 on March 03, 2012, 07:03:30 AM
Quote from: roseblood11 on January 17, 2011, 07:24:55 PM
I really don't know what's wrong with my pedal...

It sounded really good, but it had much more hiss than all the pedals in the demos that are linked here. I replaced every IC, but the hiss stayed exactly the same.

Did you tried NE5532 for the signal path? I had that problem first time I built one, and it was solved by using that IC. I just built another one some days back and I had no noises at all, it's really quiet and has no ticking.

roseblood11

Yes I did - and any other opamp that I had.

B Tremblay

Quote from: Slade on March 03, 2012, 09:10:14 AM
Did you tried NE5532 for the signal path? I had that problem first time I built one, and it was solved by using that IC. I just built another one some days back and I had no noises at all, it's really quiet and has no ticking.

Which layout did you use?  How many Tri-Vibes have you built?  I know of one other, from your demo video.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Colonel Angus

Sorry to hijack, seems like an appropriate thread for this question:

Just got my drill press and blank pcbs  ;D !!! I want to build this but my perfboard version was kinda a failure, passes signal with some tone change and a bit of diode clipping, but no oscillation. This circuit is fairly complex for my skill level, but it is my hope that pcb will be the answer as I am too frustrated to continue debugging the perf version.

So the question is:

On the ROG perf layout there are (2)TL062 ICs, where on the Andre Schaap/John Lyons PCB layout the (2)TL062s are replaced by (1)TL064. I have the 62s but no 64s. Can I use (2) TL062s instead of (1) TL064? (crosses fingers and hopes answer is yes)

Thanks in advance
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

Colonel Angus

http://www.sadtrombone.com :icon_redface:

Thanks! I guess I'll have to order the TL064s or use the Solderman layout

Colonel Angus

Doesn't look as good as Solderman's board, but I think it will work. one spot needs repaired, shouldn't be too hard (famous last words). Toner transfer off magazine paper from Dell Color Laser set to hi-res, etched for an hour in Sodium Persulfate.

Now just waiting for my wire gauge drill bits to arrive from Amazon. Ace claims to sell them, but I talked to three different hardware stores in the city and no one had anything smaller than 1/16" :icon_evil:

Brainbender

Quote from: B Tremblay on March 02, 2012, 05:43:27 AM
Quote from: Brainbender on March 02, 2012, 04:44:33 AM

What layout did you use?

Andre Schaap/John Lyons PCB

Quote from: lonewolf on March 03, 2012, 02:01:15 AM
you may have a problem with the led..it will make a thump/tick noise..I used the 3 diodes in series and socketed them....the ross phaser with the univibe mod is a more versatile pedal (with the vibrato).if you dont mind 4 dpdt mini switches and 1 spdt....but the univibe function sounds a little weak...

thanks for advice! :icon_wink:

Colonel Angus

:happydance: YES!!! Very good, after two miserable failures, SUCCESS!

Thank you John Lyons for a very nice PCB.

A very nice circuit, the sound is so squishy! Too late to make a drilling template tonight, will post pics later.

Colonel Angus

I know earlier in this thread there was some discussion about running two tri-vibes to make a Leslie pedal. My buddy loves the Tri-Vibe I built him and would like to have a stereo Leslie-ish version. Any advice? Would it just be a matter of running both boards off one input, or is there a more elegant solution? Thanks in advance!

Yonatan

I recently got this breadboarded (just barely fit on one breadboard) and it worked right off the bat and sounds amazing!  The 1 issue is some "thumping" at the highest end of the depth pot, and most evident at higher rates.  I saw some reference throughout the thread to replacing the LED in the LFO with 3 diodes.  I will try this when I can (baby is sleeping now), but I'm wondering if this fixed the issue for anyone else who had this issue?

Update: Thumping completely fixed by using a good battery!

Yonatan

Just out of curiosity, I had a friend take a picture of the LFO of my tri-vibe with his scope:

Compared to the picture on ROG http://www.runoffgroove.com/tri-vibe.html, the shape looks to be spot on, but he told me that my wave is going into "minus," while the picture on ROG shows 2-7 volts positive.

I don't know how to read the scope.  Is my LFO going into minus?  As far as I can tell, my tri-vibe sounds just fine.

(I told him that my multimeter when set to DC mode is showing about 2-7 volts, and not showing any minus, but he told me that the multimeter is measuring "effective" voltage and would not show me if it was going into minus).

axelrod

Excellent as usual from ROG . Only want more depth ? Have I missed something ?

brdcrp

Just a thought - if your tri-vibe thumps at higher speed/intensity - check your LED polarity. Mine's been on the shelf for a year or two, and just figured this out. duhhhhhh... works killer now!