your all amatures compared too this guy ;-)

Started by knealebrown, December 24, 2009, 12:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knealebrown

Honestly check out this major 'house hackage'. damn i wish i could hear this thing:

http://www.uniquescoop.com/2009/12/worlds-largest-horn-subwoofer.html

Ive heard the term DIY audio but this takes the biscuit

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ;)
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

Joe Hart

Wow! I like the rusty spring under the turntable. I guess he ran out of cash and had to scrounge one more spring out of some dumpster.
-Joe Hart

Paul Marossy

I've seen that page before. I had forgotten about it, it's been quite a while since I've seen it. Anyway, the sub-woofer chamber thing is pretty cool.

Ed G.

Wow. All that trouble for his listening room, but he's playing guitar through a Marshall ValveState????

Jarno

Yes, my sentiments exactly. And even though he's spent a ton of money on the speakers, room, and really put some thought in the amplification, he's still saving up to buy proper sources. I mean, come on, a TD160 is a nice deck and quite capable when modded, but it's no match for a LP12 or other multi-k player. Same story with the CD-player, modding a low-end player will not make it a top-range one. But, kudos for making such an elaborate horn system.

Ben N

Quote from: Ed G. on December 24, 2009, 02:03:19 PM
Wow. All that trouble for his listening room, but he's playing guitar through a Marshall ValveState????
Not to mention that when he turns it up even a little, the sympathetic vibrations of the snare drum and the cympals will pretty well ruin his high-end listening experience. Whoops!

I might add that we are all (most of us, anyway) amateurs by definition--this is the DIY Stompbox forum, right?
  • SUPPORTER

chicago_mike

blanik

lollllll

but the joy of waking up in the morning after a night of listening to "music" and seeing a beached whale must be priceless  :icon_rolleyes:

Quackzed

or tuning all your bass strings down to ten hz and leaning it up against your amp to grab a beverage...
while the whole house comes crubling down in a feedback earthquake!

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

PRR

That may be the largest "indoor" horn at present.

Back when the Space Shuttle was designed, Hillier built a much larger straight wooden horn to approximate the loud low rumble of a VERY large rocket motor.

They wanted to know if Florida would be shook to bits when the Shuttle took off. While the output was smaller than the Shuttle, they could put test-buildings in front and get about the same sound level as a mile back from the Shuttle.

IIRC, the mouth was 20 feet square and would support 10Hz, but the flare was 5Hz so there was usable response lower than 10Hz. Outdoors! (Indoor horns are easier....)
  • SUPPORTER

Jarno

LOL, did they borrow equipment from the military, used to find the "brown-note"? :-)

elshiftos

Hehe - I had exactly the same thought!
I have a valvestate, hate it and will hope to replace with a diy valve amp in 2010 ;)

petemoore

Think y'used 'nuff dynamite there Butch ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Jarno on December 25, 2009, 04:37:53 AM
LOL, did they borrow equipment from the military, used to find the "brown-note"? :-)

Correction: "camo-note."

;D

El Heisenberg

Wutever u guys say...i wanna gp there and seebthat room. Be in there. Its amazing. Wtf

WTF!!!
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

G. Hoffman

Quote from: chicago_mike on December 24, 2009, 08:14:40 PM
a Yamaha mixer???!!?!??!?! Puhlease! :P

A cheap Yamaha Mixer may not be top of the line, but for most live situations I would usually take a PM4K or 5K over almost anything on the market, and I learned on an old PM3K.  Also, the PM1D was the first usable digital live sound console on the market.  They make a wide range of stuff, but you can always rely on a high end Yamaha desk to give you back exactly what you put in.  And their EQ is free of the artifacts that make so many consoles so frustrating to use - it does exactly what you tell it to do.  (Which is great if you know how to use EQ, and really depressing if you don't!)

I, too, have seen that site before.  Seems kind of silly to me, given the way most albums are abused by the mastering engineers these days.

Oh, and just for the record, the Grateful Dead once made a larger horn.  Before they put together their Wall of Sound system, they were experimenting with ways to make concert sound better, and they build a horn that took up the entire area under the stage.  It was unusable, because when they fired it up the stage almost fell down!

Gabriel

Johan

my guess is: He is single
most people have a hard enough time seting up their stereo's to actually play stereo...you know, one speaker on the bookshelf and the other somewhere hiden under a coffee table in a corner somewhere..being able to build a whole room only for sound...He must be single..  ;D
j
DON'T PANIC

sean k

Well, it's easy to jump to empty conclusions as to the conjecture of whether he's single and/or possibly quite rich but hes certainly passionate about what hes doing but I would question the mans sense of his own tolerances.

I see so much of this out there now in the first world where passions are followed without restraint and without knowledge that being aware of your tolerances and balancing this off with the ability to enjoy the art of anticipation is a sure way to always feel disappointed in yourself.

He certainly seems the type of guy that can't realise how much he really has acheived because hes already onto the next thing to acheive that perfection that is always a millisecond away. But I may be wrong and only using the man as a mirror to blame on him my own inadequacies.

After that, though, with my own listening to sounds and music over the years, I'm pretty sure the man has lost his ability to listen. To me the art of listening is 90% in the brain and has to do more with the ability to let the brain do it's work than having supposedly pure and un adulterated signal reach the ear.

It's like he really thinks that he wants to listen. the need to hear whats going on, but he's set up a set of filters he needs to be completely in control of... and so he'll never hear it. He needs to understand so well whats being said (sounded) that hes lost sight of the ability to listen because he's defined in advance what'll be heard.

But then again his diving board is so high he going to spend quite a while flying before he hits the ground and the force of impact will be a big eye opener.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

MoltenVoltage

The TASCAM reel to reel is a nice touch.  I seem to remember mine making its own subsonic tones.

I suppose the horseradish root hanging from the rear view mirror absorbs any voodoo frequencies.

In any event, that's nice work on the enclosures.  No need for a martini shaker!
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!