Is there such a thing as a best OP-AMP

Started by alparent, January 11, 2010, 11:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

There is a lot of effects I want to build. Must of them basically say that almost any op-amp will do (kinda)

Is there a BEST OP-AMP? Lower noise vs lower consumption? FET vs ???

I would like to get singles, double, quad,    so when I do find a effect I want to build I already have the op-amps to build them

I have about everything else needed to build effects..............I'm just not well stocked in op-amps

Thanks

anchovie

You can get expensive op-amps that are recommended for hi-fi, but they aren't necessarily money-well-spent in FX pedals.

Get yourself some TL071 (single), TL072 (dual) and TL074 (quad) and they'll give happy results in the majority of cases.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

frequencycentral

Isn't the N5532 particularly high audio quality for the price? I'm quite sure there will also be some crazyprice-high-end-expensive-snake-oil opamps out there.....................
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Mark Hammer

There are better and worse op-amps for different applications, which accounts for the vast number of commercial op-amps that exist and continue to be produced, despite the new ones coming on the market every year.  Op-amps which are optimal for one application may be sub-optimal for another.  Essentially what youhave to do is balance off the finer aspects of op-amp A against B and C.  

Case in point: Texas Instruments (and I gather other companies as well) make a TL06x series op-amp and a TL07x series.  The 07x series is lower noise but higher current.  If you use the 06x series your battery will last longer, but you may acquire some additional hiss that the circuit does nothing to eliminate.  If one is using a TL062 for an LFO circuit, that's a reasonable use, since the LFO is not part of the audio path itself (i.e., contributes no more hiss than any other chip would in that part of the circuit), and especially since op-amps that draw more current tend to produce audible ticks when used in LFOs.

Download this - http://hammer.ampage.org/files/op-amp_chart.zip - and take a look through it.  You'll see a broad range of characteristics....and that's something from over 20 years ago!  And while you're at my site, get the scanned issues of DEVICE.  The articles are 30 years old, but there is some sound advice with respect to optimal use of different categories of op-amps.

The more practical concern/question is, however, "I'm going to order a buncha stuff from distributor X.  If I want a reasonable sampling of chips that would cover off most DIY build situations, what should I order to make sure I'm covered?".

Here is my own personal roster, though others may find they have different preferences:

NE5532 or LM833: Essentially interchangeable and generally appreciated for low noise under certain circumstances; handle low-impedance output loads (like reverb springs, or headphones) very nicely.  Draws more current in some uses.

TL071/2/4: Ubiquitous.  More than enough slew rate for all applications.  High input impedance and low noise.

LM324: A standard in the world of quad op-amps.  A real workhorse.  Essentially a pair of 4558s in one package.

4558: Made by a bazillion manufacturers, and found under the hood in a large proportion of commercial pedals.  In many applications, merely good enough to do the job, and in other(select) applications a key element to tone.

1458:  Not a great op-amp by any stretch, by essential to the workings of several classic pedals.

Personally, I do a lot of perfing.  Usually because I can't always guarantee I have caps that fit the available spacing on posted PCB layouts.  I also find that perfing lets me fit a board to a given chassis or control arrangement/layout/complement.  If you're going to perf, I cannot recommend SIP chips highly enough for making perf layout a breeze.  If you buy any of the above, try and score yourself some SIP packages as well as DIP.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Processaurus

Definitely, but the TL07* series, and LM324 (quad) or LM358 (dual), and occasionally a rail to rail opamp have done a surprisingly good job of covering my stompbox needs.

oldschoolanalog

An ideal opamp has an infinitely high input impedance, and therefore needs no bias current. It is also capable of infinite gain without feedback, so there are no errors between the two inputs. The ideal opamp also has zero ohms output impedance, and is capable of supplying as much current as you will ever need. The ideal opamp does not exist :-(

So, ideal doesn't exist. Best is what is best for your application.
And at 9V; the majority of the time; you probably won't hear a difference.
Get some TL071/2/4, LM324, and LM358 and you should be pretty well covered.
Have Fun!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

cloudscapes

tl07x are more than good enough for stompboxes, and they're cheap.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

caress

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 11, 2010, 12:15:51 PM
If you're going to perf, I cannot recommend SIP chips highly enough for making perf layout a breeze.  If you buy any of the above, try and score yourself some SIP packages as well as DIP.

i LOVE SIP packages... they certainly make life simpler when perf-ing - and they look great!

cloudscapes

where's a source for quality SIP opamps? mouser doesn't seem to have many
I'm working on a project that will require them in the twenties and in rows, so I'm thinking SIP might be better
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

PRR

> LM324: A standard in the world of quad op-amps.  A real workhorse.  Essentially a pair of 4558s in one package.

I messed a lot with '324 when it was new, and it wasn't much like 4558. In particular there is the deep-class-B output stage which can sound awful ugly for loads under 100K. You can maybe force it into class A, but then you spoil the very low power consumption.

The circuit is similar (not too many ways to wire a general-purpose opamp) but clearly different.

It's a great chip, but not for all uses.
  • SUPPORTER

Wonderdog

How about the LM324 for a distortion pedal?

Mark Hammer

It's not necessarily "high end", but there is certainly nothing wrong with it, particularly for an effect where clarity is not the goal.  Though I don't know what you would need 4 op-amps for, unless you wanted to include some sort of active EQ-ing.

liquids

Mark was simplifying, I gather, if nothing else.

the LM324s major feature is that it can work off a single sided supply without need for a Vref.  It has other characteristics that make it less than ideal for audio, which you may or may not notice.  But that is where the chip shines, when that is the ideal compromise--ease of use with a single sided supply and no need for generating a Vref, and low current draw compared to a 4558, say.  Can you say envelope generator or LFO?   ;D

So sure, the LM324 has it's compromises (every stinkin' op amp does, that's the simple answer to the post title!), but in certain uses the other chips mentioned couldn't keep up.   keep in mind that not every component we use is in the audio path, nor is every circuit build to use the '$best$ $availabile$ $components$' like every boutique ad copy might make you believe, even when it's a one-of DIY.  What's the best available op-amp? Answer: It depends!  Rarely the same chip twice, might I add.

Like my amp tech says, every little component choice, additional circuitry, mod, switch, pot, etc adds up to a number of little compromises and trade offs that you have to balance out or accept the cons as well as the pros.  This is, in short, the story of life in the material world...cost vs time vs benefit vs sleep vs self vs others vs ....   Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......oops, sorry to boor you.  :)

Oh, yeah, and if you understand the advantages/trade-offs of the chip and want them, but don't need the Quad part, get an LM358.   

Anyhow, I prefer the Jfet-input LM833s....  Oops.  ;D
Breadboard it!

liquids

Quote from: alparent on January 11, 2010, 11:32:56 AM
There is a lot of effects I want to build. Must of them basically say that almost any op-amp will do (kinda)
And that is a good thing and applies across most of what we build here.  It's better to learn about op amp characteristics so you use one vs the other for specific reasons rather than 'because the schematic said so' or 'so and so said it sounds better.'

Is there a BEST OP-AMP? Lower noise vs lower consumption? FET vs ???

Exactly...it comes down to the details.  You might find an op amp best for one characteristic (like you mentioned, noise, current consumption, slew rate, etc) but if there was one that was best at all those things, including affordable, we'd all be using it all the time.  We're not, as the amount of 'which op amp?' posts indicate.

I would like to get singles, double, quad,    so when I do find a effect I want to build I already have the op-amps to build them
I have about everything else needed to build effects..............I'm just not well stocked in op-amps  
Thanks

I so understand you pain right now, because every order I do, I get more, because I hear that this one will shine here or there...likewise, I've got many I'm not using much because I found others that may be better but ordered before I understood some of what I do now....and it goes on...I want to complete my 'definitive collection' list of stocked op amps, but it's been a year and I'm just barely getting it down.   It's just going to take time, and accumulate over a lost-track-of-count number of orders, I think for me, but I'm getting there and want to help others...

Here is my own personal roster, though others may find they have different preferences:
I think Marks comments are useful.  I've got a few complimentary side notes....as I understand them at this point in time. Open to useful correction.   :D

The easy way and A plug for steve:  http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=949

Some of my main thoughts on op amps at this point:
1) No two op amps with different labels are really the same....but likewise, they're all called op amps for a reason - they aren't all that different when it comes down to it.  ;D  
2)  I'd rather have gotten a lot of a certain type of op amp (bulk discount apply, similar results, fewer initial orders) than something like two each of two dozen kinds of op amps, like I initially did.  But, I wanted to hear each one for myself, and I learned from that.
3) Why bother with single op amps unless necessary?  Dual chips offer two op amps in the same size package.  Unless you want to hear the specific rare mojo attributes of something like a single LM308, or the PCB calls for a single op amp, don't bother 99% of the time or more.  It will reduce your stock on hand too.
4) A few types of chips for audio, a few for non-audio purposes should make things easier and cover the 99% or more of all you op amp needs all around, rather than chasing the specified op amp. Specifying a particular op amp (especially if its a generic like a 4558), I realize more and more, often indicates the designer probably doesn't understand op amps anyway, and/or believes in mojo a fair amount of times...rather than simply saying 'low noise op amp' or 'low current' etc.
5) "One in the hand is worth two in the bush" -- Most of your op amps they will sub for now and will actually make a sound for now, until your next order with that magic op amp arrives.  Magic op amp will sound like, well, silence in your circuit if you have to wait until the shipment arrives.  Use what you have whenever possible.   ;D

NE5532 or LM833: Essentially interchangeable and generally appreciated for low noise under certain circumstances; handle low-impedance output loads (like reverb springs, or headphones) very nicely.  Draws more current in some uses.

The NE5532 has very very low input impedance, a critical problem in my estimation, for what we use (guitars with pickups), and not friendly to 'drop in replacement' in many situations for that reason.   For that, I'd ignore that one mostly, or go low on the 5532 and high on the the LM833, which is a great chip with higher input impedance and  many of the good similar characteristics, that will cover a majority of your audio uses.
TL072/4: Ubiquitous.  More than enough slew rate for all applications.  High input impedance and low noise.
TL072 will cover most of your needs for audio as well with a JFET input, high slew. LF353 is comparable and very similar.  

TL074 is a great quad in this regard and the LF347 is the LF353s quad compliment.   A TL071 a single of the same type, if you need a few singles on hand, this is a fine one to have till the mojo chip arrives.   :)

LM324: A standard in the world of quad op-amps.  A real workhorse.  Essentially a pair of 4558s in one package.

The LM324 is a quad and for low current needs, when single sided supply only is preffered  Get some.  Similarly, get some LM358 for when you only need a dual with similar duty.  

TL062 is somewhat similar in that it's good for non-audio where low current is a requirement...commonly used, though it wants a bipolar (or Vref) supply.  An LM358 will probably work just as well as the TL062 , but get some TL062s anyway since it's listed all over the place, if need be.

4558: Made by a bazillion manufacturers, and found under the hood in a large proportion of commercial pedals.  In many applications, merely good enough to do the job, and in other(select) applications a key element to tone.

Get one or two 4558s and along with 4559, just to satisfy curiosity, if you must.  An LM833 and TL072 will cover most of your 4558-specific requirements.

Also, get one or two rail to rail CMOS op amps available (TLC2262?), because you might want to try one sometime.

So here's my list, something like what Steve is offering:
TL071 - Single, for Audio, Jfet input, etc
LM833 - Dual, for Audio
TL072 (or LF353) - Dual, for Audio, Jfet input, Noise, Slew, etc
TL074(Or LF347) - Quad, for Audio, Jfet input, Noise, Slew, etc
LM358 - Dual, Low Current, Single-Sided Supply
TL062 - Dual, Jfet input, Low Current
LM324 - Quad, Low Current, Single-Sided Supply
CMOS rail to rail op amp (Careful With That Voltage, Eugene..get a 9v regulator in some cases) - TLC2262?
And a few: 4558,4559 and NE5532, etc, if you are curious.  

Notice not once did I say 'it sounds better.'   :)  That should cover you very well for starters, unless you burn them fast like I do!  Dang, I don't even have all of thos right now.  time for an order!   :)

PS - this says nothing of CD40XX series chips, OTAs etc..... :icon_confused:  

It will take time, grasshopper.  

I do hope this helps someone simplify their workbench.
Breadboard it!

zombiwoof

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Burr-Brown OPA series chips, they seem to get a lot of word-of-mouth on the forums.

Al

petemoore

Is there a BEST OP-AMP?
  Nope, only better ones.
  The ones I like pretty good aren't the best either, 741 does work in the DIST+ like no other opamp type on earth, the 4558...this is a good opamp, it works in my TS clone, Ca3080, none of the single or dual OA's do this kind of work.
  Second best [actually...just fine to better] for the 741 application [D+] ends up being a simple transistor circuit, the TL072 is really good like the 4558 though, for compression [ca3080] or other OTA work, there's other opamps but the ca3080 was by far the best at the time...seein' on how it was prepared to do the work I needed done and waiting right there on the right side the bench at the time !
  I prefer the factory 8 pin opamps mostly, I've tried some 14 pin, they're cool [I had a CMOS in a 9v tubey-sound-thing, wow], I just don't have anything but 8 pin OA's working for me right now.
  It's kind of like shoelaces for shoes or boots, get the boot ones, tuck in the excess, or, if you find a deal on the exact right length [say you need a lot of them and anticipate tiring of the tucking process], use them.
  Say you had only so much supply and wanted lotsa current to go through, there may be a sudden attraction to the LM386, then you have so many of them they find work dividing voltage for supplies, best ever when it comes to V division IME, especially if it's already working the circuit or there's one by the bench.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

PRR

> I prefer the Jfet-input LM833s.... 

Did they change it? The 2003 LM833 datasheet shows PNP inputs.

And I'd argue that a LM833 is more of a copycat of the 5532 than an improvement. Under NFB, both have "infinite" input impedance. Oddly, '833 is rated a trifle higher bias current, which may force a smaller input bias resistor. Input noise voltage and current specs are about the same.

> LM324 ...can work off a single sided supply without need for a Vref.

The inputs can sit "at" ground.

But for any audio purpose except hyper-gross fuzz, you want to set the output around half the total supply. The LM324 won't do that itself. You will generally want a mid-supply reference. The LM324 datasheet shows classic rail-splitters on pages 14 and 17.

> TL072 will cover most of your needs for audio

Absolutely AGREE. If you don't need some obscure quirk of some antiquated chip, the '072 is the go-to for any guitar system. I have a tube of LM833 but I use a lot more '072s.

> the Burr-Brown OPA series chips

Guitar-topic forums?

The OPA chips will drive heavy loads with more zeros in the THD spec. That impresses a lot of folks. They are probably -cleaner-, "more transparent", which is useful in Hi-Fi and in studio applications. But much guitar electronics is about "banging-up" the too-clean tone of a naked steel string.

Some of the OPA series are very high-strung, fussy about bypassing and layout. 741 through TL072 are much more tolerant of simple unsophisticated construction.
  • SUPPORTER

liquids

Quote from: PRR on January 27, 2010, 10:21:36 PM
> I prefer the Jfet-input LM833s....  

Did they change it? The 2003 LM833 datasheet shows PNP inputs.

You missed the smiley face after - it was a bit of a joke.  But that would be my best op amp if they made them.  For audio. Maybe  ;D

Quote from: PRR on January 27, 2010, 10:21:36 PM
> the Burr-Brown OPA series chips

Guitar-topic forums?

The OPA chips will drive heavy loads with more zeros in the THD spec. That impresses a lot of folks. They are probably -cleaner-, "more transparent", which is useful in Hi-Fi and in studio applications. But much guitar electronics is about "banging-up" the too-clean tone of a naked steel string.

Some of the OPA series are very high-strung, fussy about bypassing and layout. 741 through TL072 are much more tolerant of simple unsophisticated construction.

Let's not forget that they are $4+ a pop!   Enough to dissuade me.   I have one from my pre-DIY experiments, actually.   It never hurts to order one and have one on hand to hear the specs for yourself...if your lotto ticket from last night was a winner.   ;)
Breadboard it!

mikemaddux

Just use sockets and try them all out!  :icon_lol:
Completed Builds: A lot...