ZVEX Invetobox

Started by soggybag, January 13, 2010, 10:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

Just because all I've introduced so far is three modules (in two weeks before NAMM that's all the prototypes we had time for) doesn't mean I'm stopping there.  We're going to make some pretty fun stuff for this box.  I'm willing to work on it as a "work in progress" for as long as it takes to get it to a point where everyone who is interested in DIY and circuit bending/tweeking will want to screw around with one. 

How nice is it to have 16 pots of various values (1M, 500K, 250K, 100K, 50K, 20K, 10K, 5K, 2K, 1K) all socketed and ready to use, with spares and the ability to move them around, and after you've built up a circuit you can take it to practice to see if it works in a band environment?  Plus you can tweak it while you stomp it.  It has special brackets that hold the lid above the knobs and switches during the post-assembly phase so you can check everything and do your final tweaking.

Check this out:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/namm-a-mad-professor-of-the-stompbox-goes-open-source/

daverdave

Looks like a pretty cool idea, I'd be interested to know more about it anyhow.

jkokura

What it kinda reminds me off in that sense is the typical prototyping breadboard system lots of you guys use for developing circuits. This is just in a package that allows you to use it on a pedalboard and get some real world use out of that circuit rather than just playing with it in the workshop.

I think it's a great idea Vex, and I hope it goes well for you. Part of why I'm into this DIY stuff is to keep the price down on my effects though, so it's hard to imagine me getting one. But for all those guys who don't care to buy and drill and paint and decal their enclosures, or even for the guys who have no idea what a soldering iron is - this thing will be a crazy idea and an awesome experiment.

Jacob

Mark Hammer

The article indicates a degree of expandability.  Now the use of 1590B boxes is starting to make sense.  I gather each "expand-a-block" is another 1590B?

T1bbles

I can actually see me buying one of these, despite my early criticisms, I can actually see how this could work for me. Especially with an oscillator module (a Fuzz Factory would do) at the beginning and a couple of expand-a-blocks, could make something like the MFOS Weird Sound Generator, but more customization friendly. Yep, I think this could make quite a capable synth-like bit of kit ;D
Behringer don't do signatures, but if they did, they'd probably stop working mid sen

aron

I think it's a neat idea. Sounds like fun actually.

CynicalMan

OK, now who's up for the challenge of making a DIY inventobox?  :icon_cool:

ugly_guitar_guy

guys, i gotta say, i had the opportunity to chat with Zach at the show today about this pedal (he gave me a complete rundown) and I have to give him huge props on it. It really is incredibly well designed and thought out with plenty of options for expandability. I think in a perfect world any DIY-er would want something like this for experimenting, and I think anyone that nay-says the idea is just a little jealous of not being able to make this themselves in such a compact design. As for the price? A little steep if you ask me, but if you can sell some oranges on the street corner for a couple weeks you should be able to get it in no time. Well done ZVEX, well done. I'll probably be getting mine this summer.
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

mr.adambeck

Quote from: CynicalMan on January 15, 2010, 04:45:38 PM
OK, now who's up for the challenge of making a DIY inventobox?  :icon_cool:

A basic version really wouldn't be that hard to diy...  I'm actually considering doing it myself (albiet in one large box).  There won't be a little light (well, maybe I will put on in there...) and no specially crafted box, but putting a breadboard, some knobs and a switch in a couple boxes ain't too difficult.  What I worry about is components falling out of the breadboard and the breadboard eventually losing it's grip on components as it gets worn in.  I know he has it come with a couple pieces of foam, but I don't know if that will really work.  Plus, when squashing down components with foam I fear that component leads will get squished and might touch and mess up the circuit.  I'm more considering building one as a way to test out circuits at band practice.  I often find things I think sound good one my amp at home when playing by myself don't fit as well in a band context.

Are his circuits going to be available for people who haven't bought an inventobox?  it'd be easy/cheap to just pop one into your own enclosure!

FlyingZ

Total sales = 1

Thanks Mom!

puretube

Quote from: daverdave on January 15, 2010, 12:28:36 PM
Looks like a pretty cool idea, I'd be interested to know more about it anyhow.

This ?...

dano12

Quote from: puretube on January 14, 2010, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: DougH on January 14, 2010, 02:18:12 PM
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fxbus/fxbus.htm

Nice example for the difference between a virtual web-paper,
and real-world hardware-box...

Yeah, none of these "virtual web-paper" things ever get built.

I really doubt anyone has ever built any of R.G.'s ideas.

Sorry, I can't find the facepalm smiley....

Al Heeley

ooh, watching the youtube clip i thought - wow, a breadboard with knobs. These are pedals for people that have run out of ideas gow to play guitar so spend their days hunting tones. Nothing wrong with that but the whole point of a guitar pedal seems to have turned full circle and disappeared firmly up its own backside. All kudos to the guy for the copy he generates, I'd love to sell a basic  60's fuzz pedal with 12 components in it for $200 cos its been painted by my 7 year daughter.  This sort of boutique legend status is not built on snake oil and heresay. thats a lot of pots on that box and that has to cost!
If anyone is that geeky enough to learn how to use this, then they are most likely wanting to make it themselves from bread/vero/pcb anyway.
Can't see the USP myself.
He's come dangerously close to providing an analog equivilant to a digital multi effects processor...
Good luck to you!

chilecocula

Quote from: Al Heeley on January 25, 2010, 05:19:25 PM
He's come danerously close to providing an analog equivilant to a digital multi effects processor!
Good luck to you!
I don't think you can get closer than this http://www.carlmartin.com/product_quattro.htm
in conservative stompboxes, tone is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed

Paul Marossy

No matter what you think of this new product, Z Vex is a very clever guy.  :icon_cool:

zachary vex

Quote from: FlyingZ on January 25, 2010, 12:36:07 PM
Total sales = 1

Thanks Mom!

Unfounded cynicism is the most profoundly destructive waste of time a person can engage in.  We sold 70 the first day at NAMM.  There's only 500 in the first run... they'll be gone and we'll be back-ordered until we can make more.  Why?  Because we've already been contacted by 4 schools about providing them as teaching tools.  One teacher named Saura brought 15 of her students from a workshop she teaches at the University of California San Diego to my booth so they could see the thing first-hand.  There's a story about what she's trying to do here:  http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/article.php?id=1513  She's writing a grant proposal that will set up an actual class dedicated to... you got it... building guitar pedals.

zachary vex

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 15, 2010, 03:31:10 PM
The article indicates a degree of expandability.  Now the use of 1590B boxes is starting to make sense.  I gather each "expand-a-block" is another 1590B?

Yes.  Each expando-box will be another 1590B. 

FlyingZ

Quote from: zachary vex on January 25, 2010, 06:52:50 PM
Quote from: FlyingZ on January 25, 2010, 12:36:07 PM
Total sales = 1

Thanks Mom!

Unfounded cynicism is the most profoundly destructive waste of time a person can engage in.  We sold 70 the first day at NAMM.  There's only 500 in the first run... they'll be gone and we'll be back-ordered until we can make more.  Why?  Because we've already been contacted by 4 schools about providing them as teaching tools.  One teacher named Saura brought 15 of her students from a workshop she teaches at the University of California San Diego to my booth so they could see the thing first-hand.  There's a story about what she's trying to do here:  http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/article.php?id=1513  She's writing a grant proposal that will set up an actual class dedicated to... you got it... building guitar pedals.

Taking advantage of the ignorant is nothing to be proud of. Other then that congratulations on the sales.