Aron Smash Drive!! HELP!!

Started by 1tczx, January 14, 2010, 02:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tczx

Building this currently
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/TheBigMan-Layouts/smashdrive.gif.html

however, it does not have a volume control..even with all pots down, when the efx is on, some signal will still pass thru.
anybody knows how to put a volume control pot??

ARon!! help.

humptydumpty

to the best of my knowledge, take the output wire, connect it to lug 3 of a 100k pot, connect lug 1 to ground, and lug 2 to the output jack

edit: someone correct me if im wrong

compuwade

You should be able to connect the output from the circuit to a 500ka pot and then to the output jack. That should give you a good volume control. Kinda like this one :)

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Daves-Layouts/Smash_Drive.gif.html

1tczx

lol it does not work humpty, no sound at all from efx. hiaz..
lol compuwade i cant really read the pcb..
edit* followed pcb. vol pot lug 1 to grd and mid lug 1? thats wad i see it.
still wun work

anchovie

For the "Killer" version: Remove any connection from Treble lug 2 to output. Connect Treble lug 2 to Volume lug 3, Volume lug 1 to ground. Volume lug 2 is output.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

1tczx

lol thats wad i did bro.
as said by humpty. now not even a sound from it.

anchovie

Do you get sound back if you remove the wire from Volume lug 3 and take the output from there?

1tczx

yes before i added the volume pot there was sound. after that, totally disengaged. lol /

anchovie

That's not what I asked. Does the circuit work again if you take the volume pot off?

1tczx

ya it does. but once i connect to lug 3 agn it became silent. help still needed!!

anchovie

1tczx

the 2 pots u see are the tremble and volume pot. output was originally from tremble lug 2...

anchovie

You can ruin pots by soldering in those holes, that's not what they're for. Got a DMM so you can measure the volume pot resistance?

1tczx

haha its easier to solder in wires into holes :D volume pot working fine. all way down 0 ohms , all ways up 500k ohms

anchovie

OK, measure the resistance between volume lug 2 and the output jack (to check the yellow wire) and volume lug 2 to ground (with pot at max).

1tczx

lug 2 to output jack ok, 0ohms.
lug 2 to grd full 500kohms at max pot.
all working well...

anchovie

And just to confirm, 0 ohms between lugs 2 & 3 of the volume pot at max? If that's the case and you've got sound at the end of that wire coming from the treble pot, then hooking it up to volume lug 3 should, in theory, work. If it still doesn't then I'm stumped!

1tczx

err bro for ur last qn, there is no reading between lug2 and lug3 of volume at max...why..

humptydumpty

is it/was it connected like above? cuz im missing the whole treble and volume connection if it is

anchovie

Quote from: 1tczx on January 14, 2010, 11:26:53 AM
err bro for ur last qn, there is no reading between lug2 and lug3 of volume at max...why..

If it's open circuit between those two lugs then the pot is damaged and you won't get any sound at the output no matter where the control is set. Best replace it and not solder into those holes this time!