Tap tempo modded Echo Base PCBs in the works - vote on features

Started by Taylor, January 19, 2010, 03:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: SPAZ on January 20, 2010, 08:02:29 AM
  Very nice features, looks great to me! what about calculating dotted 8Th's' etc ?

Yep, the PTAP does quarter/eighth/dotted eighth/triplet eighth. It may even be possible to set the 2 chips to different divisions for cool polyrhythmic sounds, but it's not a definite yet.

http://thoughtprocessinc.com/ptap2

SPAZ

That does it then, I've now thrown my name in the hat twice now  :icon_lol:

frequencycentral

I'll take a PCB when they're done - and thanks for putting this together Taylor8)
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Taylor

PCB, Rick?  :o ???

The other Perfborgs are going to excommunicate you...

frequencycentral

Quote from: Taylor on January 20, 2010, 03:55:06 PM
PCB, Rick?  :o ???

The other Perfborgs are going to excommunicate you...

There can be only one!

Quote from: Taylor on January 19, 2010, 03:31:39 PM
tap tempo for the delay using the PTAP
double time mod using a second PT2399
effects loop
modulation kill switch
feedback filter, to get filtered analogish repeats
oscillate momentary stomp switch
board mounted pots
mix pot

Too tasty to turn down I'm afraid!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

NQbass7

I would definitely be interested in getting one of these PCBs.

sinner

I would like to get one as well, 5 for future projects if the price will be low :)
The sound comes from the player, not the equipment. You can get a wonderfully heavy guitar tone with a Telecaster and a Twin Reverb...

blunder

I'd be down for a couple boards as well. This looks like a fun project.

defaced

I don't care what features get chosen, but put me down for two. 
-Mike

aziltz

definitely interested in this project taylor!

perhaps you could add a preamp to the output akin to the echoplex-style FET boosters?

Taylor

I'm not familiar with that, except that I remember some pedal company selling an Echoplex-derived standalone preamp.

What does this preamp do that's special?

aziltz

its just a tonal thing.  i've been thinking of including it in delay/loop pedals on the wet signal only for a more "tapey" effect.

here's some info.  http://www.madbeanpedals.com/docs/FatPants/Fatpants_ver1.pdf

but of course, i just realized this could be inserted by me if theres a wet signal effects loop.

slacker

Adding boost before the PT2399 isn't a great idea, the chips runs off 5 volts so there's not much headroom to start with, if you start adding boost, you're not going to get anything "tapey" you'll just get horrid opamp clipping. It's possibly something to experiment with if Taylor adds an effects loop, but I don't think it's worth building it in.

mth5044

Quote from: slacker on January 21, 2010, 12:23:41 PM
Adding boost before the PT2399 isn't a great idea, the chips runs off 5 volts so there's not much headroom to start with, if you start adding boost, you're not going to get anything "tapey" you'll just get horrid opamp clipping. It's possibly something to experiment with if Taylor adds an effects loop, but I don't think it's worth building it in.

I think aziltz was thinking about putting it on the output  ??? To filter the sound maybe?

aziltz

Quote from: mth5044 on January 21, 2010, 12:34:52 PM

I think aziltz was thinking about putting it on the output  ??? To filter the sound maybe?

yes, output.

Taylor

aziltz

no worries, i'm still wanting one.  will there be an effects loop send/return?

Valoosj

Have you ever built the Echo Base with double delay time? I did and I had a lot of problems with the feedback being too silent (after the second repeat you couldn't hear any delayed signal anymore). This problem has been addressed in the Echo Base topic, but Slacker hasn't gotten back to me on it.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Taylor

Actually, no I haven't, but I have read your posts about it. I know it's doable because I think there's a BYOC project that does it. It's something that I have to experiment with to get it working right.

Skruffyhound

Dammit, I'm sitting building an Echo Base, but this is starting to sound too attractive with all these mods nicely integrated. I'm in.