"buffer" to split to two parallel fuzzes

Started by John Lyons, January 21, 2010, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

Quote from: bool on January 24, 2010, 10:36:08 AM
Has anybody ever used a gyrator to buffer a fuzz? Perhaps this would be the most configurable, smallest and cheapest way to get near the kOhms and henries of a typical pickup configuration(s).

Keep going!

R.G.

Quote from: bool on January 24, 2010, 10:36:08 AM
Has anybody ever used a gyrator to buffer a fuzz? Perhaps this would be the most configurable, smallest and cheapest way to get near the kOhms and henries of a typical pickup configuration(s).
Bad, bad hiss in most cases. Semiconductor gyrators have noise issues that real inductors don't in most cases.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

kvb

Quote from: John Lyons on January 24, 2010, 01:37:08 AM
Yeah I guess you would only need to buffer one since the other would just connect to the guitar.
Unless you use the pedal in a chain with another buffer(in another pedal) in there somewhere.
Were you using this with bass and a clean blend or?

Yes. I am blending clean sounds with fuzz.
Plus, I think  it might be a good idea to have a buffer>inductor circuit right off the bat.

I wonder what the difference would be if one ran a buffer into a transformer (hum free Y) and then into a fuzz.
maybe you could split the signal right off the top of the transformer. That way both fuzzes would see the same thing. Or is that the same problem? If that works then there could be another pedal in front without creating a problem.

Sounds like Processaurus knows something. Hm.

What other kinds of circuits have multiple transistors connected at their bases?

Gus

John to give a good answer you would need to post the input or fuzz circuits.

In my other post look at the output stage I have a low pass added to the FF type section to roll off the highs(cap in || with the 1K look at the date this was before the axis face IIRC)  the 10K between the EF and FF type is a SIMPLE sim of a pickup it works with the open loop gain of the first fuzz section transistor and the 47K feedback resistor to set the fist stage of the FF gain.

Thing to think about and study the AC feedback from the FF type 2nd transistor emitter to the first transistor base is like gain setting feedback from the collector to base of a BMP stage, both are DC coupled for both biasing and gain setting The stages are imperfect input summing node amps(look up inverting opamp operation).

Another circuit you could build is a inverting gain stage something with say a 2.2K to 4.7K  collector to +9VDC a 47K to 100K collector to base feedback bias resistor and a cap bypassed emitter resistor( look at the input stage of a BMP or wha).  This would sim the input interaction of the FF type circuit and work as a buffer or you could build a opamp inverting amp maybe a 100 ohm to 1K series in to the - input with a 47K or what gain you want feedback resistor from out to - input.
GS 1/24/2010 how soon before this is "designed" by a effect company as a buffer/boost for fuzzes