anybody out there using the ToneCore dev kit?

Started by audioartillery, January 27, 2010, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioartillery

I bought one of these Line6 ToneCore DSP developer kits about 6 months ago.  I finally got around to implementing something interesting on it in the last couple weeks.  I really like the kit.  I wouldn't say it's easy but the Motorola assembly language is straight forward and the toolchain works fine.

It isn't all roses though.  The Line6 dev kit forum is pretty dead.  I know of only two other developers who have actually produced something noteworthy so far.  Here's the best example (best part is half way in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R7PeDA1S00

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else out there was playing with one of these, how far you've gotten, what you've got planned, etc.

tiges_ tendres

wow!  Sounds really good.  But $190 is way out of my price range.  And I know nothing of programming this stuff.
Try a little tenderness.

audioartillery

It's actually a really good deal for what you get.  They give you a compiler, IDE, example code, tools to download your code and debug.  You don't really need to muck around with anything, just write your code and download.  And when you're done your effect can plug into anyone's ToneCore dock.  In theory at least... I don't know anybody else who has a ToneCore pedal.

tiges_ tendres

I meant the cost of the module of the person you linked to.

The development kit is great, but I really know nothing about coding at all.  Which is why I've held back.
Try a little tenderness.

audioartillery

Ah, I didn't see how much he is selling it for anywhere.  How much?

Coding on this platform isn't for the faint-hearted, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone without a solid coding background.  It's one of the harder things I've worked on.  But man is it cool when you finally get something working.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: audioartillery on January 28, 2010, 06:38:31 PM
Ah, I didn't see how much he is selling it for anywhere.  How much?

Coding on this platform isn't for the faint-hearted, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone without a solid coding background.  It's one of the harder things I've worked on.  But man is it cool when you finally get something working.

He hasnt listed prices for the synth pedal yet, but the Arpegiator is $190.

Both pedals sound awesome though.
Try a little tenderness.

MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

audioartillery

Yeah, actually the docks were dirt cheap so I tried to order a bunch but my order got cancelled.  I called MF, they said the mono dock would not be restocked.  They said the stereo dock was only sold out.  Maybe the mono docks don't sell well?  Or maybe the ToneCore line is going the way of the dodo?  Dunno.

Taylor

I doubt the Tonecores are being discontinued, but I suspect the idea of swappable modules and docks may not have really caught on, and they may just be dropping the sales of separate docks and modules.

peterv999

I've looked very seriously into getting this kit but, after looking in detail on the unit, I own, with the echopark unit docked-in, I decided to move away from it due to the inability of the reprogrammable unit of providing switches ( selecting patches as an example) and the lack of sufficient memory. Today I'm "hooked" to the FV-1 chip for my echo developments.

-P

www.echotapper.nl

ejhumphrey

I'm a major nerd and I love these pedals. Dev kits for DSP-chips are usually really hard to come by, so these were pretty neat when they hit the streets... but there is obviously a very niche market for them. I really hope they don't go completely belly-up, and I want to help pick up where the forums/wiki left off...

Couple thoughts to stoke the fires of inspiration:

[1] Last spring I worked on a delay pedal for a class at the University of Miami (you can dig a video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtt3jW9CE2k). Point being, these things are sweet in the academic environment, even if the community isn't that large/organized. If you're a EE/CE/CS student, beg your instructor to use these. This is way more fun than hacking on i386 assembly, and potentially more useful if you're into embedded signal processing.

[2] The mono development docks getting discontinued isn't a good sign, but not the end of the world (yet). It makes sense to consolidate the product line when the market dictates... but... fingers crossed.

[3] I'm fixing to push a good deal of informative content to the interwebs over the next couple weeks, probably both on my site (http://ejhumphrey.com) and the Wiki (http://www.tcddk.com/). Really, these pedals suffer from two huge hurdles: a general lack of documentation and a daunting learning curve in assembly. I don't think it would be that overwhelming to address both of these with a little effort. Ideally, it'd be nice to take advantage of the C-template provided on the wiki, but due to some compiler issues you can't (last I checked) write to external memory. So, we either fix the C-compiler (gross) or make it easy to code in assembly.

Thoughts, comments, or if you just want to help... PM me directly.

Happy hacking,
-ejh

audioartillery

It appears the ToneCore docks have not been discontinued, they are still available from Line6 directly or their Amazon store.  They must just have not been very profitable.

EJ, I sent you a PM.

mjkirk12

FYI:  Any Line 6 tonecore dock module can be modified to add a USB connector (3 wires:  GND, USB+, USB-) and with the Tonecore programmable module ($35), you pretty much have the developer kit.

I picked up a Constrictor module used for $25 and modded it to add the USB port. Works fine with the Tonecore developer kit (free download)

Total investment:  $25 (pedal) + $35 (programmable module) + shipping/tax + USB cable

Cheers,
Mike

tommy.genes

Quote from: mjkirk12 on January 17, 2011, 12:07:25 PM
FYI:  Any Line 6 tonecore dock module can be modified to add a USB connector (3 wires:  GND, USB+, USB-) and with the Tonecore programmable module ($35), you pretty much have the developer kit.

I picked up a Constrictor module used for $25 and modded it to add the USB port. Works fine with the Tonecore developer kit (free download)

Total investment:  $25 (pedal) + $35 (programmable module) + shipping/tax + USB cable

Cheers,
Mike

Very interesting. Any info on where exactly to land the 3 wires?

Thanks,
-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

tommy.genes

May have answered this one myself. There are some schematic diagrams in the hardware guide available HERE.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

thedefog

That's awesome. Gonna see if I can grab one of those on eBay and attach a USB cable to it. I read you can program these in C as well, and since that's what I'm most familiar with, that sounds good to me. Only I assume I'll have to learn some sort of assembly as well.

tommy.genes

From what I've heard, there are actually two processors on board: one that handles the basic functions of the pedal and moving the audio data in/out/around, and one that handles the hard-core DSP function. I believe the former processor is programmed in C, but the latter has to be programmed in assembly.

I've never actually worked with one myself, however, so this is all hearsay.

-- T. G. --

thedefog

ASSembly hurts my brain. CALL, XOR, AND, $FF62 BLAHbah barf.

CHEEZOR

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but can anyone explain or post/send images of how to mod a ToneCore pedal to have a USB plug? Thanks in advance!

mjkirk12

Seller on eBay has several Tonecore developer kits for sale   $55 + free ship.