Signal loading

Started by MmmPedals, February 03, 2010, 10:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

My last post get me thinking. when do you have to worry about a loose part in a signal i.e. a resistor, cap etc. that is only attached on one end. Practically speaking when would you want to avoid such a thing in a switching application? when is it ok.
Lets say 2 effects in one box. one switch to bypass and the second to toggle the 2 effects. would it be bad practice to use a single pole switch (w/o a led or dp w/ a led)? one lug to send to effect A one lug to effect B and both effect out to bypass switch.

Processaurus

QuoteLets say 2 effects in one box. one switch to bypass and the second to toggle the 2 effects. would it be bad practice to use a single pole switch (w/o a led or dp w/ a led)? one lug to send to effect A one lug to effect B and both effect out to bypass switch.

Generally in electronics you'd usually want to fan out to inputs rather than merge outputs. Use the switch to select an output.  If the combined load is too low on the source (feeding two inputs), then a buffer is needed.  In this case if you merged outputs you would need a mixing stage (even if it was a simple resistive adder) so the outputs wouldn't fight each other, plus you would have all of the noise from the unused effect adding to the one you are using.

When fanning things out, consider the source's current sourcing abilities and the load, and remember the rule of thumb for good voltage transfer: that negligible loading/sag on the source from the load is when the load draws less than 1/10th the current the source can provide.  Learned that one in community college :icon_biggrin:.

Quotewhen do you have to worry about a loose part in a signal i.e. a resistor, cap etc. that is only attached on one end. Practically speaking when would you want to avoid such a thing in a switching application? when is it ok.

The only part that I know of in the electrical world that does anything with only one lead attached to a circuit is an antenna.  For the rest, without two leads attached to something, there is no circuit, ie no current flow through the part. You can let them hang out.  Is that what you meant?

MmmPedals

yes that is what i meant. i wanted to know if a switch that lifted one end of a component to disable it (and enable another in its place) would load a signal similar to how a whole circuit would.
So youre saying it wouldnt because no signal would travel through due to the broken circuit?

composition4

QuoteThe only part that I know of in the electrical world that does anything with only one lead attached to a circuit is an antenna.  For the rest, without two leads attached to something, there is no circuit, ie no current flow through the part. You can let them hang out.  Is that what you meant?

You do need to be careful with some components acting as antennas if you only connect one side though - a floating capacitor can make a good (unwanted) antenna

Jonathan