Show off your Swirl pedals/enclosures

Started by Kitarist, February 11, 2010, 07:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moweryelectronics

Dan Mowery

Focalized

Fuzz Face low gain silicon with bass cut.

rousejeremy

Nice mojo parts on that one. What are the yellow caps?
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Focalized

Input on the left is an ERD 0.033uf for the bass cut. The output is Callins? Maybe Calling. Letter rubbed off a bit. I always like buying axial caps. Ebay or some online electronics.

I think I got them at www.westfloridacomponents.com. Lots of good stuff. They seem to specialize in radios and such. They have a big selection of high end capacitors, lots of WIMA boxes. And resistors. Carbon composition. Those Dale resistors. If you're the spending type. Not a huge selection of resistor values, though. Not much to buy for your standard pots and hardware for pedals.

rousejeremy

I any of you are using the acrylic paint method for swirling, avoid this brand. It has chunks in it that cause imperfections when dried and they won't even mix with water. I tried painting a box today and the paint slip around the primered enclosure like it was covered in oil.

Focalized

Sound clip for shoctave:

https://soundcloud.com/focalized/shocktave/s-o2pmV

And a Germanium Fuzz Face with those Beavis mods. I sold one long ago and tried another. Did not think much about wiring you see. Really the only thing worth adding is a bass cut and the feedback. I can just make noise, might sample and use in some electronic tracks. Or set just right the note sustain lightly oscillates then drops out. Hard to set but add a nice noise to the fuzz.

I set the feedback on a momentary stomp switch. Though I'd like to use a smoother actioned one. Not easy on the bare feet. But also wanted to add the LED for it just because. Didn't think about the wiring as it turn the normal LED indicator off when on. Didn't wire them separate. I don't know if there's a soft touch stomp switch that can also use an LED.

rousejeremy

Focalized

Love that orange one.

Here's a Lunar Module. Clearcoat bubbled up and I couldn't really get them out. So mad.

Focalized

I'm the only one left doing these things. Not crazy about this one. Liked the colors and the way it swirled, but it just looks rough. Not enough water in the paint.

DAM Greasebox. Sounds really good.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Focalized

Zendrive and One Knob Fuzz variant.

Fuzz Face with extra stuff and some old capacitors I got in a huge vintage lot (cheap). Bias, input gain and 5 way in. Two Russian transistors and it really sounds good. The one inbetween cap setting has a great low mid grind that;s emphasized.

Clark Gainster. A very good overdrive. Beats many tubescreamer likes. Though I guess it is one itself. I wish more blue came out in the paint. Mixed too much water with the other colors so they spread out too much.

Phase 45. Sound pretty good, not too swooshy. The trim pot needs to be turned full counter-clockwise to work, I wonder if a bit more would make a difference in phase.

rutabaga bob

Nice wiring!  Mine usually look like a Chinese noodle swamp...  :icon_mrgreen:
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Focalized

I'm the only guy doing these I think.

I attempted using Envirotex on some swirled boxes. Pretty much all I make as it's been in the single digits in temperature most of this winter when ever I have time. My printer is very poor at printing on thick photo paper (mechanically) and I just like doing it most of all.

So excited after pouring this stuff as it seem to be perfect. The top is the sides and corners aren't.

The problem with the sides is that even with a smooth finish the bottom needs to be sealed so it doesn't peel off along with the undercoat. I can work to reduce the drips but it still easily peels off from the bottom. And you have to sand and cut the excess to allow the bottom plate to fit.

Next is that at the edges, the near 90* angle, the Envirotex does not stick. It runs over the edge and leaves the undercoat bare. So these pedals have a bit of scratch off the edges. Maybe a second coat might adhere with care but trying that once left too many uneven runs and waves. I won't mess with them any more for now.

The Red Llama build was a bit better as I had clear coated it a bit first. I hoped to eliminate that altogether, but might have to use it. But wait till warmer weather. Might use a mix of the two as the Envirotex gives such a satisfying coat on the top.  

I need some experimenting but don't want to ruin nice looking boxes.

I totally messed up the Bosstone with the sides but tried to see if just keeping the top would look ok.

These look great at these angles but the sides are pretty messed up with paint peels and rough spots. I used some crazy glue to seal down some peeled areas.

Good job for any of you guys using this stuff properly.

Red Llama

Tone Machine

Bosstone

Focalized

Looks like you want more control on how it comes out. I stopped that and like to let it do what it wants with a couple tricks. I found blowing on the paint makes it blend in cool ways. Helps it over the sides without having to tilt the box like I used to.  I also use a lot less paint. Like two tablespoons of say three colors each. Less colors, more paint. With about 15% water added. It covers it and will usually be paper smooth. I'm always going for a natural look like exotic stone or nebulae and such.

I might go back to some labeling if I ever get a better printer.

Focalized

I made this without an LED with a side project trying out a DIY light plate. Never again with my resources. To much sawing and sanding. I'll just a buy a few from smallbear.

Soup39

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...