Help selecting serial ADC && DAC for comunication system

Started by Bps, February 13, 2010, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bps

Hi ,

I need to choose an ADC and a DAC  with serial output  like (TLC 549) to use in a project to build a communication system. Do not need to do any processing to the digital signal. I am trying to avoid the use of uC for control lines. 

Thanks.

cloudscapes

Which bitdepth range is needed?

I don't know if an ADC/DAC pair can communicate without a uC in serial comm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Bps

I need to sample a filtered  voice signal  ( Max 3KHz). I had chosen the TLC 548 with Eight 8-Bit with Sample / Update Rate(MSPS) 0.045 , but any solution suitable to sample this signal would be fine. The system has to look like:  LPF- ADC- Medium- DAC--BPF

Thanks

slotbot

you couldget away without MCU if you use somethign like a serial in parallel out (SIPO) shift register. something liek M74HCT164 might do the trick into an r2r ladder or something liek DAC0808. However the problem is you will need another sample and hold to block the output while the shift register is "loading".

Maybe you can find a parallel loading DAC that has an output hold to take care of both at once.

Its definitely possible to do it without an mcu but it might be easier/more worth while to use one. For instance you could use the MCU to replace the ADC as well so it would be the converter and the transmitter. You will probably have an eaasier time finding DACs you can use this way as well.