KiCAD : Design schematics and PCBs for FREE?

Started by MJ_Sound_Cubed, September 26, 2018, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone is using KiCad for drawing schematics and creating PCBs?

Its available here: http://kicad-pcb.org

On the plus side:
- KiCad is free software and open source
- Its compatible with all the major operating systems like Windows, Mac OS and a lot of Linux distributions.
- Developed by CERNE
- A community and tutorials
- 3D modeling and lots of parts.

On the minus side:
-Lerning it can take some time, as much as any other.

Let me know what you guys think and suggest alternatives . :)
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com

Marcos - Munky

I personally use Eagle. Even it have some limitations on the free version, my layouts are almost all done for 1590As, so I have no problem. But there are lots of people here who uses KiCAD.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

I agree that Eagle has some limitations in the free version, but overall is a good application.

Did you try KiCAD or did you only have a look?

MJ Sound Cubed

knutolai

Have not tried EAGLE but can recommend Kicad. It's easy to get started. Personally I started out with watching a tutorial by Contextual Electronics called "Getting Blinky" or something where they take you through all the different software functions that combine to make up Kicad (schematic editor, pcb editor, Gerber viewer, footprint editor, schematic symbol editor).

vigilante397

I have tried KiCAD and Eagle and didn't care much for either one, mostly the learning curve, but obviously everyone is different.

If you're looking at free software I would highly recommend DipTrace. https://diptrace.com/ It's more than powerful enough for stompboxes and is so intuitive I never had to go through tutorials, it was my friend from the beginning. Not to mention forum member rullywow created and shared fabulous stompbox component libraries (which I think are still hosted in my dropbox). I don't use it anymore since I've moved on to absurdly expensive software (Altium) but I used it for years and was very happy with it.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

marcelomd

I use Eagle, because it has a large community of users, meaning lots of libraries, tutorials, and updates. The interface is clunky (e.g. different buttons for operating on groups or singles). The free version is limited, but I tend to break big designs into a few smaller boards anyway. Not ideal, but gets the job done.

I tried to like KiCAD. I really did, but there is a lack of... integration... or vision, which probably comes from being designed and developed by lots of people independently. The interface is even clunkier than Eagle and I had to watch a few tutorials for the simplest tasks. I don't know, it just did not 'click' with me.

Other free CADs lack the community of Eagle or KiCAD. For me, they were not worth the tim einvestment.

All in all, I miss my Altium Designer (I used to work as a layoutist), mostly because of the interface.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: MJ_Sound_Cubed on September 26, 2018, 05:03:28 PMDid you try KiCAD or did you only have a look?
I didn't, because when I heard of KiCAD I already have some experience in Eagle, and was lazy to learn how to use a new software :icon_mrgreen:. But I'm sure KiCAD is a good one.

R.G.

The prevailing wisdom in the programming and technical community is that it's easier to change your spouse than to change your word processor. I'd extend that to PCB layout programs.  :)

People change from their first PCB layout programs only when forced.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

marcelomd

Quote from: R.G. on September 27, 2018, 12:17:11 PM
The prevailing wisdom in the programming and technical community is that it's easier to change your spouse than to change your word processor. I'd extend that to PCB layout programs.  :)

My first was OrCAD, which I used in college. I don't wish it on my worst enemy. Everything was like operating the tonsils via the arse.

On my third layout I started to look into alternatives and got a pirated copy of Altium (I think it was XP). Soooo much easier to do anything. Then I got to work with newer versions professionaly. AFIK Circuit Maker is the free version, but only runs on Windows =\

vigilante397

Not entirely sure I agree. I started with PCB123 back when I knew little/nothing, then when I realized I couldn't export gerbers I switched to Eagle, then when I got frustrated with Eagle I heard about Diptrace. I used Diptrace all through college, even though the school provided us with an Altium Designer license. For assignments that had to be done on Altium I would often lay out my circuits in Diptrace then copy them in Altium, because Diptrace was just so darn intuitive.

Even after I got hired to do hardware design in Altium I still used Diptrace for personal projects. I don't remember exactly what made me switch, but eventually I realized through working with Altium every day at work that I actually do like how the interface is set up (until version 18 which makes me sick, I reverted back to 17.1), so I dug up my student license and run Altium at home for my personal projects too, which is of course handy on the rare times I do work at home or on travel.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Im hoping to make a good choice to avoid a messy divorce and keep all the child PCBs. :D

Quote from: marcelomd on September 26, 2018, 06:20:20 PM
I use Eagle, because it has a large community of users, meaning lots of libraries, tutorials, and updates. The interface is clunky (e.g. different buttons for operating on groups or singles). The free version is limited, but I tend to break big designs into a few smaller boards anyway. Not ideal, but gets the job done.

I tried to like KiCAD. I really did, but there is a lack of... integration... or vision, which probably comes from being designed and developed by lots of people independently. The interface is even clunkier than Eagle and I had to watch a few tutorials for the simplest tasks. I don't know, it just did not 'click' with me.

Other free CADs lack the community of Eagle or KiCAD. For me, they were not worth the tim einvestment.

All in all, I miss my Altium Designer (I used to work as a layoutist), mostly because of the interface.

Which version of Kicad did you try? :) Some people like the latest one. :)

MJ Sound Cubed

dschwartz

I use kicad profusely...and i love it..
I tried to use eagle before but i couldn't get a grasp of the interface. Kicad is very easy to use when you spend some time with it, and i love the semiautomatic routing and the 3d features. There are plugins that can export the 3d boards to FreeCad format (which i also use)..so I'm hooked.

The only thing i don't like is that you can't make a copy "save as" of your project or make subcircuits and import them between projects.
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

marcelomd

Quote from: MJ_Sound_Cubed on September 27, 2018, 04:37:43 PM
Which version of Kicad did you try? :) Some people like the latest one. :)

The current version of one year ago.

Quote from: dschwartz on September 28, 2018, 09:15:08 AM
I tried to use eagle before but i couldn't get a grasp of the interface. Kicad is very easy to use when you spend some time with it, and i love the semiautomatic routing and the 3d features.

Same can be said about anything =)
Things become easier the more you do them. But I couldn't get past that first impression... Maybe I'll try KiCAD again.

PRR

> it's easier to change your spouse than to change your word processor.

I no longer use WordPerfect 4.1 for DOS, but still have the spouse from those days.

• SUPPORTER

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Quote from: dschwartz on September 28, 2018, 09:15:08 AM
I tried to use eagle before but i couldn't get a grasp of the interface. Kicad is very easy to use when you spend some time with it, and i love the semiautomatic routing and the 3d features. There are plugins that can export the 3d boards to FreeCad format (which i also use)..so I'm hooked.

The only thing i don't like is that you can't make a copy "save as" of your project or make subcircuits and import them between projects.

I think the same, and will use exclusively from now on! Eagle was a bit hard to deal with for me. :)

MJ Sound Cubed

potul

I tried Diptrace once and stayed there forever.

Easy interface, has everything I need, including 3D rendering.

Fender3D

Quote from: PRR on September 28, 2018, 10:15:49 PM
> it's easier to change your spouse than to change your word processor.

I no longer use WordPerfect 4.1 for DOS, but still have the spouse from those days.

My wife is no longer with me, but I still have my old PC with DOS 6.22 and Orcad 386 along with my elder works...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge