Signal Splitter

Started by Adji, February 20, 2010, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adji

Hey guys, this sounds pretty obvious, but as we all know I am a n00b and would like to make sure haha.

I am working on a new track at uni and to save time I would like to record two guitar amps at the same time. So what I want is a splitter?

Guitar > Splitter > Path A = Vox AC30 / > Path B = Fender Deluxe

Will a simple splitter do this job? I have no idea why it wouldn't, but I don't want to waste my (limited) amount of parts. Should I incorporate some kind of buffer?

Adji

I just mocked up a quick drawing of my idea (finally got the DIY Layout Creator working, awesome programme!).

The green wires are the signal 'live' wires and the black are the ground wires. Would this work? Again apologies, this is probably WAAAAAAAY below some of you guys.

R.G.

This will work, but because both amps probably leak a tiny amount of AC inside, it will probably hum as well. You might get lucky, but hum is a persistent problem with setups like this.

Just to save you some trouble, a similarly-connected splitter done as an inline cable attachment can probably be had for a few dollars at Radio Shack or other consumer electronics outlets. Same performane, same issues.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Adji

Quote from: R.G. on February 20, 2010, 10:55:29 AM
This will work, but because both amps probably leak a tiny amount of AC inside, it will probably hum as well. You might get lucky, but hum is a persistent problem with setups like this.

Just to save you some trouble, a similarly-connected splitter done as an inline cable attachment can probably be had for a few dollars at Radio Shack or other consumer electronics outlets. Same performane, same issues.

Thanks for the info and advice RG. Would some kind of hum cancellation circuit work inside the splitter somehow? I think I saw a few in the gallery?

R.G.

Quote from: Adji on February 20, 2010, 10:56:51 AM
Thanks for the info and advice RG. Would some kind of hum cancellation circuit work inside the splitter somehow? I think I saw a few in the gallery?
Geofex.com, "Hum free splitter" "hum free A/B/Y"
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Adji

Quote from: R.G. on February 20, 2010, 11:46:50 AM
Quote from: Adji on February 20, 2010, 10:56:51 AM
Geofex.com, "Hum free splitter" "hum free A/B/Y"

Sound, cheers RG.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: R.G. on February 20, 2010, 10:55:29 AM

Yep, I'd say that this will happen at least 50% of the time when you connect the grounds of two different amps together at their inputs with a passive splitter box or Y-cable. Parker guitar players often have this problem because it's a "stereo" guitar with two different pickups in it - passive magnetic PUPs and a piezo PUP on the bridge. Their recommendation is to use a DI box in series with one of the cables going to the amps. I haven't tried it, but I guess it works.