Carbon comp resistors.

Started by MmmPedals, February 26, 2010, 01:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

How do you identify carbon comp resistors? I know they usually have squared edges and film resistors are rounded at the edge with a thin "waist" but is that an absolute identifying mark?
What effect could they have on the sound of a circuit. I cloned an old fuzz and mine had a much smoother sound. The original was harsh and raw sounding. could that be a result of the resistor type? I have no other explanation why the sound changed. the only other thing i changed was from 1/2 watt to 1/4 watt as well as the transistor type (from bc 173 in original to 2n5088).

sixstringphil

I would bet that the transistor change had much more to do with the difference in sound than the type of resistor.

Taylor

Also, even if you used caps with the same nominal value, the actual value can be up to 50% different from the marked value, depending on cap type. And old caps and resistors can drift in value, so what this old fuzz sounds like now may not be the way it sounded when those same parts were new.

Basically, there are several things that are more likely to make a difference than resistor type.

StereoKills

The type of resistor has little effect on the sound itself (change in the value will however). Changing the transistor is practically guaranteeing a change in sound.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

kungpow79

To answer your ?, in my exp, carbon comps are dark brown, and yes they have a straight or flat edge and are purely cylindrical.  Like a Tootsie rool  ;)  Carbon film are tan colored, metal film are light blue, and they have a narrow "waist."   

Paul Marossy

You should read RG's article on carbon comp resistors sometime - www.geofex.com

Taylor

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 26, 2010, 03:34:49 PM
You should read RG's article on carbon comp resistors sometime - www.geofex.com

Indeed, a good read, but that article only talks about amps (but I suppose from that we can extrapolate that the only noticeable difference is when signals are big, as in amps).

trjones1

Yeah, I think one of the points of the article is that whatever difference in sound there is in carbon comp resistors, it doesn't come into play in the 9V world.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: trjones1 on February 26, 2010, 04:12:06 PM
Yeah, I think one of the points of the article is that whatever difference in sound there is in carbon comp resistors, it doesn't come into play in the 9V world.

That's my point. So save them for tube amps!  :icon_wink:

BAARON

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 26, 2010, 05:24:27 PM
Quote from: trjones1 on February 26, 2010, 04:12:06 PM

That's my point. So save them for tube amps!  :icon_wink:

And even then, only in the right spots!  Strategic use of metal film plate resistors can make a shocking reduction in noise levels compared to carbon comp, even in low-gain amps like the normal channel of a Fender Twin.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."