Some messing with Neovibe layouts

Started by R.G., March 08, 2010, 01:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

I've been messing with mods of the Neovibe, and have some new descendents of the line that started back in the mid 90s.

The top entry at http://www.geofex.com is an overview. The middle one is only slightly different from what you can get today at GGG. The biggest difference is using film 1uF caps instead of electros, now that we can get 1uFs that will fit. The same board can be used for electros by bending the leads. 

The bottom board is the biggest pads, spaces and traces that I could force myself to do.  :icon_biggrin:  Basically, it's set up for etching and soldering using stone axes for tools. It's hard to get any wider pads and traces in there. Going to jumper wires would help maybe. Haven't messed with that much.

The top board is a drop in fit for the screw bosses in a crybaby shell. As you can see, this is NOT a trivial PCB project. The resistors all stand on end, and the traces are 0.012"/ 0.3mm, and the caps are electros for smallest size. This would be a journeyman  level build, not a first time build, so.

They haven't been checked for errors so those specific layouts may not work - that's a hint that you might be very frustrated if you tried to use those layouts to etch from...  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MikeH

Quote from: R.G. on March 08, 2010, 01:11:01 PM
The top board is a drop in fit for the screw bosses in a crybaby shell.

Oh, that is very cool
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

bean

Looks great. My curiosity is definitely piqued by the wah-edition. Some of those traces are a little scary thin for mindless PnP transfers, but with patience I think they won't pose much of a problem. Looking forward to seeing more progress! 

R.G.

I'd really like to get some beginners' opinions on the bigger one. Is that something that's even interesting? It will still fit inside a 1590DD box, which is a good size for the number of controls. or is 5.0" x 3.8" (127 x 94 mm) just too big?

For the tiny one, it probably needs either photo etching or professional making in a PCB house. It might be that J.D. over at GGG could be talked into doing a panel of them if he was suitably incented...  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MikeH

RG, is there a pcb transfer o fthe smallest one that I could print out and look at?

R.G.

I'm detecting that there's not a lot of interest in the big, fat, easy to make one, yes?   :icon_lol:
R.G.

Barcode80

I actually prefer the larger one, it's just that a direct fit to the crybaby shell is so much more tempting :)

bean

Quote from: R.G. on March 08, 2010, 03:23:30 PM

For the tiny one, it probably needs either photo etching or professional making in a PCB house. It might be that J.D. over at GGG could be talked into doing a panel of them if he was suitably incented...  :icon_lol:

I'd be willing to test out a couple transfers if you want feedback. I can do traditional iron method and also using my new laminator (which actually works pretty well).

ACS

Quote from: bean on March 08, 2010, 05:27:41 PM
I'd be willing to test out a couple transfers if you want feedback. I can do traditional iron method and also using my new laminator (which actually works pretty well).
Sorry for getting OT - laminator: first time I've heard of this for transfer, sounds fascinating... Any links?

RG, personally, I think that a) I'd struggle to get a good clean transfer with the really small one, but (like others) am massively intrigued with getting it into a crybaby shell, and b) the big one is probably too big for my likings - I've got around 15 various builds under my belt, so not massively experienced, but even with my mediocre soldering skills, I feel that it's overkill... 

The caveat would be if the big one had direct mounting for footswitch and pots (with subsequently slightly tighter layout), then the size would be perfect  :icon_cool:

Cheers
Aidan

MikeH

I can't get a feel for whether or not I could do a successful transfer on the small layout without being able to print and examine the traces.

head_spaz

I really like the second one the best... because I prefer using film caps. And it looks DIY doable.

The small is very nice, but I can't picture wasting a wah enclosure to control it. Would the prefered use be for speed or depth control? If I needed remote control... I'd prefer a rackmounted version with an external multi-treadle pedal.... one rocker for speed... one for depth... and one for regen.

The big PCB is ok. Could probably solder it together using an oxy/acetylene torch.
But put that sucker in a DD box and you'd have to use an external transformer. Not my style.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

R.G.

I did the revised layouts based on the comments in another thread that the stock version of the Neovibe was too hard to build and solder. So I thought -OK, let's just make it *big* and let the parts fall where they may.

I find it somewhat curious that the layout that gets the most comments is the smallest, hardest to build one.
R.G.

MikeH

Quote from: R.G. on March 09, 2010, 09:10:20 AM
I find it somewhat curious that the layout that gets the most comments is the smallest, hardest to build one.

You know we love a challenge.  What fun would this stuff be if it was easy?  ;)

kymar

Nice work!
But, i think, practical application only one will find - the small one. 
About power supply - is it so necessary to leave this big caps and bridge? it`s simple to use 24v power adapter.
And what about new mods? Such as using op amps in sound (signal) path (as in voodoolab micrоvibe) or using optocouplers instead of LDRs and lamp.
It must be more interesting.

solderman

The small one will be no problem to etch and build if you use the fotoresist UV developer method. I have successfolly made 0,2 mm traces with this method. Below is my layout for the ROG Tri Vibe Traces are 0,3 pads are 1,5/0,9mm and spacing to pour is 0,4 mm

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

R.G.

Quote from: solderman on March 10, 2010, 11:48:35 AM
The small one will be no problem to etch and build if you use the fotoresist UV developer method. I have successfolly made 0,2 mm traces with this method. Below is my layout for the ROG Tri Vibe Traces are 0,3 pads are 1,5/0,9mm and spacing to pour is 0,4 mm
You're right - it's not a problem for photo methods. It is a little bit of a problem for home builders, because it requires a top-side ground plane to make it work as is, but maybe I can eliminate that with some work.

But I was interested in the other end of the spectrum - how valuable to the community getting a bigger, fatter version is. Based on some comments on the existing GGG-supplied Neovibe layout about it being too hard to solder, I thought I'd sample the user preferences, and offer two choices. One is a bigger, fatter, easier to make and solder one, another a smaller, tighter, more bleeding-edge layout.

What I've found is that no one seems to want a fatter, easier to build layout unless it also automates pot wiring and so on and is specific to an enclosure, kind of an easy-kit for an enclosure. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's not much interest in a big, open, simple layout of the Neovibe. I'm guessing that there's more interest, given the general rate of infection with BUMS, in fancy mods and updates of several kinds.

Izzat correct?
R.G.

MikeH

Quote from: R.G. on March 10, 2010, 12:19:12 PM
You're right - it's not a problem for photo methods. It is a little bit of a problem for home builders, because it requires a top-side ground plane to make it work as is, but maybe I can eliminate that with some work.

But I was interested in the other end of the spectrum - how valuable to the community getting a bigger, fatter version is. Based on some comments on the existing GGG-supplied Neovibe layout about it being too hard to solder, I thought I'd sample the user preferences, and offer two choices. One is a bigger, fatter, easier to make and solder one, another a smaller, tighter, more bleeding-edge layout.

What I've found is that no one seems to want a fatter, easier to build layout unless it also automates pot wiring and so on and is specific to an enclosure, kind of an easy-kit for an enclosure. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's not much interest in a big, open, simple layout of the Neovibe. I'm guessing that there's more interest, given the general rate of infection with BUMS, in fancy mods and updates of several kinds.

Izzat correct?

I'm actually not as much interested in the small one because of the size, what really gets me stoked is that it's set up to go into a wah enclosure.

Barcode80

Quote from: MikeH on March 10, 2010, 12:40:36 PM
Quote from: R.G. on March 10, 2010, 12:19:12 PM

Izzat correct?

I'm actually not as much interested in the small one because of the size, what really gets me stoked is that it's set up to go into a wah enclosure.
+1, i ALWAYA prefer larger traces, even though I've got hundreds of builds under my belt, because it just makes things easier. but bolt on fit is way cool.

JBK1

R.G.  I believe I know which thread you are referring to, I am waiting on a ForumVibe board from him. (Its been three weeks). I didn't know about the Neovibe until after I  placed my order. I plan to build the NeoVibe also , maybe I'll build them at the same time. I would be glad to share my thoughts with you about the ease or difficulty of the builds. I am currently finishing my first build, but don't consider myself a beginner. I am a Biomedical Equipment Tech by trade, I have experience in electronic repairs, but not much experience in building pedals.
I built my own board for my first build and getting ready to build another board, both are small, not very complicated layouts. I was considering buying the Neo board from GGG, but I may give etching the Neo my self, (If I can get a copy of the layout).

R.G.

I've been messing with the Crybaby bolt in some. I got the single-pot mod on it, managed to use a few jumpers instead of a ground plane so it's one sided, and I'm working on making the board fit the plug-on connector in the middle generation of wah pedals. Don't know if that'll pan out, but it's neat if it does.

Hmmm... how about Cry-Vibe-y?  :icon_eek:
R.G.