Some messing with Neovibe layouts

Started by R.G., March 08, 2010, 01:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

head_spaz

I jist don't git it.... What is the dang deal with this CRY-Viby dude?
Is the idear to 'liminate the LFO using the rocker to sweep it manually? And... wouldn't that sound kind of like a wah?
Or is the treadle supposed to vary the LFO rate, or depth, or regen, or does it just reset the stinkin' blinkin' clock on my VCR?
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

R.G.

Quote from: head_spaz on March 13, 2010, 03:49:18 PM
I jist don't git it.... What is the dang deal with this CRY-Viby dude?
Is the idear to 'liminate the LFO using the rocker to sweep it manually? And... wouldn't that sound kind of like a wah?
Or is the treadle supposed to vary the LFO rate, or depth, or regen, or does it just reset the stinkin' blinkin' clock on my VCR?
The rocker changes the speed of the LFO - like the foot rocker on the original did.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

....and since people tend to forget, or else never knew in the first place.....

The original Uni-Vibe was called the "Resly-Tone", and was intended to provide an alternative to lugging around a big heavy Leslie rotating speaker.  (There is a curious phenomenon in which Japanese circuits are unintentionally spelled with pronunciation errors intact, and this is one of them.  How it happens is something that intrigues me.  IN one of the old Japanese DIY books I have scans of, there is a flanger project that is titled "Franger".)

One of the distinguishing features of mechanical rotating speakers like the Leslie is that the transition from slow to fast speed is gradual, rather than immediate.  The use of a rocker-treadle speed control (whether by an externally-mounted control or by building the whole circuit into a wah-style chassis) permits the user of an all electronic (rather than mechanical) effect to mimic the ramp-up and ramp-down.

RedHouse

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 14, 2010, 10:48:57 AM
....and since people tend to forget, or else never knew in the first place.....

The original Uni-Vibe was called the "Resly-Tone", and was intended to provide an alternative to lugging around a big heavy Leslie rotating speaker.  (There is a curious phenomenon in which Japanese circuits are unintentionally spelled with pronunciation errors intact, and this is one of them.  How it happens is something that intrigues me.  IN one of the old Japanese DIY books I have scans of, there is a flanger project that is titled "Franger".)

One of the distinguishing features of mechanical rotating speakers like the Leslie is that the transition from slow to fast speed is gradual, rather than immediate.  The use of a rocker-treadle speed control (whether by an externally-mounted control or by building the whole circuit into a wah-style chassis) permits the user of an all electronic (rather than mechanical) effect to mimic the ramp-up and ramp-down.

No, the Resley Tone was a different model.

RedHouse

Quote from: R.G. on March 08, 2010, 01:11:01 PM.... The biggest difference is using film 1uF caps instead of electros, now that we can get 1uFs that will fit. The same board can be used for electros by bending the leads. 

....The top board is a drop in fit for the screw bosses in a crybaby shell. As you can see, this is NOT a trivial PCB project. The resistors all stand on end, and the traces are 0.012"/ 0.3mm, and the caps are electros for smallest size. This would be a journeyman  level build, not a first time build, so.

A little late to the show on these too RG, my Classic Vibe and Vibe Baby have had that going-on for 8 years now!. Kinda like trying to rewrite history a little.

http://classicamplification.net/Effects/ClassicVibe.htm

jacobyjd

Quote from: RedHouse on March 16, 2010, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: R.G. on March 08, 2010, 01:11:01 PM.... The biggest difference is using film 1uF caps instead of electros, now that we can get 1uFs that will fit. The same board can be used for electros by bending the leads. 

....The top board is a drop in fit for the screw bosses in a crybaby shell. As you can see, this is NOT a trivial PCB project. The resistors all stand on end, and the traces are 0.012"/ 0.3mm, and the caps are electros for smallest size. This would be a journeyman  level build, not a first time build, so.

A little late to the show on these too RG, my Classic Vibe and Vibe Baby have had that going-on for 8 years now!. Kinda like trying to rewrite history a little.

http://classicamplification.net/Effects/ClassicVibe.htm

Yes, let's all give someone a hard time for finally updating their free layouts  :icon_rolleyes:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

RedHouse

Quote from: jacobyjd on March 16, 2010, 03:29:43 PM

Yes, let's all give someone a hard time for finally updating their free layouts  :icon_rolleyes:

Not to mention one calling it their own ideas.

The neovibe is what it is, likewise the Classic Vibe and Vibe Baby are what they are, and done long before these latest threads.

Vibe Baby from 2003:

and my latest Vibe Baby's:

the "free" ForumVibe with the upgraded cap ideas...and... it fits into a wah shell:
http://classicamplification.net/forumvibe  

Not only has all this been done before this latest "update" you speak of, the "Vibe Baby" is my trademark and "Cry Vibe" is a trademark held by JC Maillet, so to all of a sudden have all these "ideas", post them and then call it an upgrade to the Neovibe (specially using "Cry-Vibe-y") whaaa? ...what's your point jacobyjd?.   :icon_mrgreen:

jacobyjd

I suppose my point is that making such a big deal about how 'outdated' someone's layouts are really doesn't do anyone any good. Dude's just posting some updates. Nothing to see here, except that it's another layout for a vibe that some people might find interesting, and is now a little more current.

You'd be served just as well to dog everyone who posts a new tubescreamer vero layout on any given forum because they're making a copy that someone else has made before, albeit a bit differently.

Just strikes me as a dick move to bust on someone in a public forum for updating their work and posting it for anyone to use, whether it's cutting-edge or not.

RedHouse

Quote from: jacobyjd on March 16, 2010, 04:19:09 PM...for updating their work and posting it for anyone to use...

So you must have missed this...
Quote from: R.G. on March 14, 2010, 07:40:26 PM
I have a layout of the Crybaby-specific neovibe layout that I have modestly named the Cry-Vibey

or this...
Quote from: R.G. on March 13, 2010, 02:57:06 PM...Hmmm... how about Cry-Vibe-y?  :icon_eek:

or this...
Quote from: R.G. on March 15, 2010, 11:21:54 AM...Putting it into a Crybaby shell and at the same time preserving all the controls and options

or this new idea about using MPS Darlingons and a Bouns footprint:
(hello ForumVibe)
Quote from: R.G. on March 15, 2010, 12:04:35 AM
- all transistors except the first three are integrated darlingtons, like MPSA13/14, and there is one more than the stock list of darlingtons
- it has trimmers for the mix adjust and DC bias on the bulb  on board, same footprint as the Bourns 3306 trimmers.

Yeah,  must be over-reacting.  :icon_lol:

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

GP

or maybe... please stop whingeing about someone giving away their own personal time and personal knowledge for no personal gain that might upset the apple cart for your product that no one has heard of.

jacobyjd

Quote from: RedHouse on March 16, 2010, 04:41:22 PM
Quote from: jacobyjd on March 16, 2010, 04:19:09 PM...for updating their work and posting it for anyone to use...

So you must have missed this...
Quote from: R.G. on March 14, 2010, 07:40:26 PM
I have a layout of the Crybaby-specific neovibe layout that I have modestly named the Cry-Vibey

or this...
Quote from: R.G. on March 13, 2010, 02:57:06 PM...Hmmm... how about Cry-Vibe-y?  :icon_eek:

or this...
Quote from: R.G. on March 15, 2010, 11:21:54 AM...Putting it into a Crybaby shell and at the same time preserving all the controls and options

or this new idea about using MPS Darlingons and a Bouns footprint:
(hello ForumVibe)
Quote from: R.G. on March 15, 2010, 12:04:35 AM
- all transistors except the first three are integrated darlingtons, like MPSA13/14, and there is one more than the stock list of darlingtons
- it has trimmers for the mix adjust and DC bias on the bulb  on board, same footprint as the Bourns 3306 trimmers.

Yeah,  must be over-reacting.  :icon_lol:

Not sure what you think I'm missing--doesn't look like he's claiming that any of it is new to me. Might be new to the layout, but it looks like he's simply incorporating established updates that are already in existence. For free. For anyone to use.

I could see some beef with the name IF it didn't pretty much follow what it is. crybaby + vibe. There are only a few places you can go with that  :icon_wink:

I guess my point is that I don't see what the heck you have to gain by bashing it. It's time you could be spending finding something better than a tired, old (but still very nice) effect to develop a design for, then peddle. Additionally, half the basis for your negativity doesn't even seem to be in existence here. You're implying that he thinks it's the latest and greatest...ok...even if he thought so, I don't see him claiming that. Even if he did, all you have to do is point out that it's not, then move on, no big deal, but it appears that you're taking it very personally.

It's never in any commercial entity's best interest to throw tantrums :)

GP

Quote from: jacobyjd on March 16, 2010, 06:20:12 PM

It's never in any commercial entity's best interest to throw tantrums :)

oh, i don't know... there's at least 3 testimonials on the classic amplification (sorry was that a trademark too?) website so he must be doing something right.

kvandekrol

My apologies for the zombie thread, but I just wanted to say I found out about the Neovibe Crybaby project yesterday and read everything related to it (drama and all!), and I am very excited for it! Already on the lookout for a cheap Crybaby in anticipation :)

To R.G.'s question of whether the bigger layout would be appreciated... I think the bigger layout was overshadowed a bit by the Crybaby since it's new and compact. I was planning on building a Neovibe and was a little nervous about etching the board myself, since the pads and traces aren't very big and I'm still doing PnP transfers, and if the larger board was ready to go and the Crybaby version wasn't in the works, I would definitely go for the larger board.

Because of this, I imagine there would be a market for it if that became the version that GGG offered. The people on this particular forum aren't as interested in the larger version because 1) the skill level of those who responded is such that the standard Neovibe is not beyond them (or they've already built one), and 2) the Crybaby version is a cool new project to try. But the customer base of GGG is probably closer to that of BYOC: people who don't want to get their hands dirty with etching and drilling and who want everything to be clear-cut and easy when assembling. So if there was a board that's designed for a specific enclosure and that has all offboard wiring clearly marked, I imagine that would be more appealing to potential GGG customers. And the board transfer would also be more appealing to newer etchers on this forum who don't have as much experience.

R.G.

I have to stuff all my personal messing about with effects into my spare time, and that's been fairly rare for the last few months. The layouts are actually done, and a test case has been built by a volunteer. I'll get the remaining writeup stuff done as soon as possible. I'll try to make the Crybaby-shell version the first off when I get it done. Note that this is only going to be useful to people who can do their own PCB work. I am not going to be selling PCBs for this.

If you (or others) want to prevail on a commercial outfit to carry the PCB, that would up the availability some.
R.G.