Mylar/poly/metal film caps

Started by MmmPedals, March 12, 2010, 10:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

Is there any reason to use poly film caps over mylar film?
I know metal film caps can reduce noise in some circuits. Is there any other advantage or disadvantage to them?
What are the pros and cons of each type?
EDIT: I guess i should put ceramic disc in there also. I never use them because i heard they may cause a harsh sound. When can you use them "safely" and when should you avoid them?

Steve Mavronis

Let's add polarized tantalum caps to the list. Are they any better or worse than the radial electrolytic caps?
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

MmmPedals

Tantalum caps are a big no no in audio circuits. avoid them at all costs. they add noise and have an "unpleasant tone".

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: MmmPedals on March 12, 2010, 10:53:03 AM
Tantalum caps are a big no no in audio circuits. avoid them at all costs. they add noise and have an "unpleasant tone".

Thanks for answering that concern of mine. My dad gave me some and said they don't "leak" like radial electrolytic caps but I was reading how tantalum may produce a grainy sound which I don't really want. The pedal I'm cloning from doesn't use them so I'm leary of using any substitute part types.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

zombiwoof

AFAIK, Polyester film caps are the same thing as Mylar (which is a brand name).  Then there's Polypropylene, and also Polystyrene (which was used in the original wahs).  So when someone says "poly film", you don't know exactly which one it is (although it probably is either polyester or polypropylene in most cases, polystyrene doesn't come up as often).  I wish more people would differentiate which "poly film" cap they are talking about, as it can make a difference.  I sometimes hear people say to use an "orange drop" cap, but there are different series' of Orange Drops, some are polyprop and some are polyester, and that can make a difference in some applications.

I wonder why polystyrene isn't used much in pedals and such, they used to be considered a "superior" type of cap at one time.  Is it because of how they sound or because you can't find them in a lot of values?

Al

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: zombiwoof on March 12, 2010, 03:14:28 PMI wonder why polystyrene isn't used much in pedals and such, they used to be considered a "superior" type of cap at one time.  Is it because of how they sound or because you can't find them in a lot of values?
Expensive & large size/footprint.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Greg_G

Quote from: zombiwoof on March 12, 2010, 03:14:28 PM
AFAIK, Polyester film caps are the same thing as Mylar (which is a brand name).  

Yes, I think you're right. Mylar Film = Polyester Film

Also, I don't believe any capacitors contribute to "noise" in a circuit.. outside of microphonics.
Metal film resistors are quieter than carbon... not capacitors.

IvIark

Tell that to the TS808 aficionados who believe them to be absolutely critical to the sound.   :icon_twisted:

Personally I've never found anything inherently unpleasant about Tantalum and the very fact that they will last much longer than the 2000 hours specified by some electrolytic manufacturers seems a good enough reason to try them to me.

zombiwoof

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on March 12, 2010, 03:48:32 PM
Quote from: zombiwoof on March 12, 2010, 03:14:28 PMI wonder why polystyrene isn't used much in pedals and such, they used to be considered a "superior" type of cap at one time.  Is it because of how they sound or because you can't find them in a lot of values?
Expensive & large size/footprint.

I hadn't thought of that.  I have been thinking about trying some polystyrene caps in one of my guitars for the tone caps, if for no other reason that I've never heard of anyone doing it (although I'm sure someone has).

I've also considered using a tantalum in place of the 4.7uf electro in a wah, I wonder if it would have any affect on the sound in that position?

As far as the tantalums in a TS808, maybe the "unpleasant" aspect of them is part of the vintage sound there.  I know I've seen a lot of tantalums in Japanese pedals, even in MXR's, as I recall.

Al

zyxwyvu

This page may be useful: http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench102/caps.html

It has oscilloscope traces showing how linear different capacitors are. Only a few seem to be noticeably non-linear (and would thus add distortion).

jacobyjd

Just buck all the trends and start using monolithic ceramics :)

Any differences the crowd hears between caps will only really be in values and tolerances. Nobody else matters.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

mikemaddux

nice post.  we were talking about this at work today....all the different variables that go into an electronic sound design like an amp or a pedal........my older buddy just stormed off and said "just use your fu*king ears!!!!!"

lol ;D ;D ;D
Completed Builds: A lot...

IvIark

Quote from: zombiwoof on March 12, 2010, 10:41:37 PM
As far as the tantalums in a TS808, maybe the "unpleasant" aspect of them is part of the vintage sound there.  I know I've seen a lot of tantalums in Japanese pedals, even in MXR's, as I recall.

I think you've come up with the most important aspect of component selection in guitar effects.  What someone doesn't like in a DIY audio application may be fantastic in a comparatively lofi guitar effect.  I've heard ceramic caps called gritty before but they go to make terrific Big Muffs, so maybe any grittiness they impart just works well with some dirt pedals.

Ed G.

Polystyrene sounds very nice in the BSIAB, in the 470pf cap (mine is a 560 pf) cap that parallels the 470k resistor.
Very clear tone.

R.G.

I wonder if we should count the number of times that the question "which kind of capacitor sounds better?" or "which kind of capacitor should I use?" has appeared.

Writing it up and putting it in a FAQ doesn't seem to help.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

IvIark

Maybe some people just like to talk about it and exchange their opinions rather than taking an FAQ as being everything you ever need to know.  That's what forums are all about.

knealebrown

they are used in the ts 808 an ts9 plus the stratoblaster. all pretty successful designs in my opinion. plus they look cool and organic  :icon_smile:
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

alex frias

The use of tantalum caps on TS's and the Harmonic percolator has some real impact to the resulting sound, but it's not exactly where I would call it the "audio pathway" in both projects.
Pagan and happy!

benjamin_izzo

omg... R.G. and IvIark...

your comments on this subject are hilarious!
My face hurts from laughing.

thanks for the frank comments
and for giving so much to the DIY community.
you both have helped me out so much in the past few months
sincerely,
ben

mistahead

Quote from: IvIark on March 13, 2010, 10:09:42 AM
Maybe some people just like to talk about it and exchange their opinions rather than taking an FAQ as being everything you ever need to know.  That's what forums are all about.

Observation not of the quoted member, however here I was thinking it was trolling by 1 post new accounts, on tombstoned threads, concurrently to other threads on the same topic in which a low post count individual was stirring up the troubles.

Use ceramic across the board in dirt boxes, more dirt that way.