Mylar/poly/metal film caps

Started by MmmPedals, March 12, 2010, 10:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gritz

Endlessly speculating about esoteric stuff is a lot easier than e.g. learning to interpret numbers on a datasheet*, or buying test gear and learning how to use it. Dressing up speculation as fact is probably here with us to stay as well.  :icon_lol:

Hint: there is more than one type of ceramic dielectric used in ceramic capacitors.

mistahead

Which has the mojo though?   :icon_wink:

gritz

Quote from: mistahead on August 06, 2013, 06:56:44 AM
Which has the mojo though?   :icon_wink:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

"That depends on which grade of mojo that Sir is looking for."

stallik

Quote from: R.G. on March 13, 2010, 09:24:13 AM
I wonder if we should count the number of times that the question "which kind of capacitor sounds better?" or "which kind of capacitor should I use?" has appeared.

I can't count that high
But to add my tuppence worth, for me the best capacitor to use is the one I've got. That way I can complete a project.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

induction

Quote from: mistahead on August 06, 2013, 02:56:53 AM
Observation not of the quoted member, however here I was thinking it was trolling by 1 post new accounts, on tombstoned threads, concurrently to other threads on the same topic in which a low post count individual was stirring up the troubles.

I can only assume you are talking about me, but I have no idea what you're accusing me of.  Does expressing an opinion different from yours count as 'stirring up the troubles'?  What does my post count have to do with whether my arguments make any sense?

duck_arse

I never even try to make sense.

I have a funny feeling the search function here never turns up what the searcher is looking for. either that, or they aren't using it .........
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

mistahead

Quote from: induction on August 06, 2013, 11:56:09 AM
Quote from: mistahead on August 06, 2013, 02:56:53 AM
Observation not of the quoted member, however here I was thinking it was trolling by 1 post new accounts, on tombstoned threads, concurrently to other threads on the same topic in which a low post count individual was stirring up the troubles.

I can only assume you are talking about me, but I have no idea what you're accusing me of.  Does expressing an opinion different from yours count as 'stirring up the troubles'?  What does my post count have to do with whether my arguments make any sense?

'stirring up the troubles' - little bit of tongue in cheek mate, its just the internet - sprinkle a little cement on the morning latte.

gritz

Quote from: duck_arse on August 06, 2013, 12:20:58 PM
I never even try to make sense.

I have a funny feeling the search function here never turns up what the searcher is looking for. either that, or they aren't using it .........

To be fair, the forum search function is far from foolproof.

I just typed "engineer's thumb" into the search box and it came up empty. Any fule kno that the engineer's thumb is a compressor that has it's own thread here. Searching with the keyword "thumb" seems to work though. One day computers will be as smart as the average fruitfly.

mistahead

They're too smart... or in this case not forgiving enough of "human stupidity", after all we will treat ENGINEERS and ENGINEER'S the same despite their huge semantic difference.

Throw in some wildcards and a little bit "matching" logic and the search here is not too bad, use advanced and avoid using quote marks or other special characters...

I just took a break from writing some SQL in VBA to post that comment though, so maybe I'm not thebest person to ask lol.

gritz

Quote from: mistahead on August 06, 2013, 09:40:34 PM
They're too smart... or in this case not forgiving enough of "human stupidity", after all we will treat ENGINEERS and ENGINEER'S the same despite their huge semantic difference.

Throw in some wildcards and a little bit "matching" logic and the search here is not too bad, use advanced and avoid using quote marks or other special characters...

I just took a break from writing some SQL in VBA to post that comment though, so maybe I'm not thebest person to ask lol.

Computers aren't smart - they're just very good at following instructions. That said I just asked mine to make me a cup of tea and it didn't have the faintest idea what to do. Smart computers are like flying cars - promises from our childhood that ain't never gonna happen!

mistahead

Did I rub you the wrong way Gritz?

There's a large number of what has been generally referred to as "Expert Systems" - this are highly intelligent in the sense that they have been able to trick humans via the Turing Test, are more effective at some forms of psychology than trained psychologists, and make independant decisions as to HOW to approach problems as well as following less prescriptive and more intuitive methodologies for applying those approaches.

They are smarter than most people - especially someone who asks their computer in a foreign language (to it) to get up and make food...  :icon_wink:

Human's aren't that different - just playing out the instruction sets that someone taught you, whether or not we realise it.

Flying cars are also happening now - just outside the affordability range of most people (and limited in altitude due to licensing), thankfully, until cars are driven by expert systems I don't want to throw a whole extra dimension into the mix for the average muppet behind the wheel.

duck_arse

QuoteAny fule kno that the engineer's thumb is a compressor

any fule kno that the electronik brane mkVII will be superior in all aspeks, if it ever released, chiz.

I often think this shyte innernets connection has turned this laptop into a turing halting machine at the end of a run.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

thelonious

Quote from: gritz on August 06, 2013, 09:25:36 PM
To be fair, the forum search function is far from foolproof.

Whenever I have trouble with it I google site:diystompboxes.com search term here. That usually works quite well.

gritz

Quote from: mistahead on August 06, 2013, 10:36:44 PM
Did I rub you the wrong way Gritz?

Heck no! Sarcasm is what passes for humour here in the UK, so maybe I didn't express myself properly. Apologies. :)

Computers have infuriated me for most of my life - I was at school when the ZX81 appeared and my response was something like "wake me up when it does something interesting". My punishment was Z80 ASM (and a bit of machine code) at college. I now use PCs extensively for creative and analysis purposes, but while their raw speed has increased by orders of magnitude, the software that runs on them tends to be as intuitive and proactive as a bag of cat turds, perhaps because the majority of people in the computer industry understand computers far better than they understand people. Folks who design phones and $5 apps tend to "get it", so why not the desktop crowd?

Any inferences that I may have made re. using "mojo" capacitors as a substitute for learning how to bias a transistor properly or buying a half decent power supply still stand too. ;)