A new 6n16b preamp

Started by gtudoran, March 14, 2010, 01:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtudoran

Hello guys,

I've designed a tube preamp using the Russian 6n16b double triode. Is a miniature triode with a maximum anode voltage of 100v. The heaters eat abou 400mA @6.3v (is the standard heater voltage). I used about 80v for anode voltage.
The design has 1 gain stage and 1 cathode follower to drive a marshall like tone stack. The voltage devider was designed for 30Vpp input level and for 2Vpp output level,
  The scematic and the BOM:

Capacitors C1 10uF
Capacitors C2  C5  C6 0.022
Capacitors C3 0.001
Capacitors C4 680p
Capacitors C7 47uF / 100v
Resistors R1  R5 1M
Resistors R10 50k
Resistors R11 200k
Resistors R12 15k
Resistors R13 500k Log.
Resistors R14 100
Resistors R2 250
Resistors R3  R6 20k
Resistors R4   1M
Resistors R7 56k
Resistors R8 250k
Resistors R9 500k
Tubes VA1  VA2 6N16B

You could also use 6N17b as  a substitute for 6n16b (6n17b have much more gain then 6n16b but the maximum anode voltage is 200v).
6n16b and 16n17b are submini double triodes.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

PS: The schematic is verified to work as described. Audio samples soon.

sean k

Very Nice there Gabriel!!! I'd imagine it's more of a boost than a distortion with a nice helping of 1st order harmonics. Cool!
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

punkin

Have you experimented with using the plate of VA2 as the output for the second stage for a little more gain? Just currious...not familiar with those sub-mini's.

Was thinking cascaded something like this; http://audio.ring.lt/pre/pre2.gif
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

bancika

IIRC those are similar to 6111 and 6n17b is similar to 6112
cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

gtudoran

Hello guys,
Thank you for your intrest. There will be a second stage with one more double triode. The scope of this preamp was to provide a solution for let's say hook up a guitar to a sound card. I would like to try a little more gain and maybe optain a good distorsion for hard and heavy :). A clean MOSFET booster could be a solution to provide more gain in actual configuration.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

PS: The overall gain is good and i've managed to obtain a good and heavy overdrive sound from a 5w amplifier (Analog Sound Little Devil) with 1 x 6n1p and 1x6p14p (el84).

sean k

I was just wondering if R11 and R12 are around the wrong way....?
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

gtudoran

Hmmm ... why do you think that ... is a simple voltage devider.

Littlekid

I get some 6N16B from my friend and want to build this amp.
How many watts the transformer needs to bring enough power for B+ ?
Just wonder what if the B+ is 33Vdc, if the circuit still work?
I'm new (totally new) in Tube, is it possible to post the design theory and calculation of this amp? or suggest any reading material for low voltage tube amp design for reference?

MetalGuy

QuoteIIRC those are similar to 6111 and 6n17b is similar to 6112

6N16B's maximum Ua (B+) voltage is 200V, 6N17's is 250V.
When heavily overdriven 6N16B will start to distort in a very unpleasant way unlike 6N17B which can be used even for high gain stuff.

QuoteJust wonder what if the B+ is 33Vdc, if the circuit still work?

Yes it will, but you'll need to change some part values.

Zapp Brannigan

Quote from: gtudoran on March 14, 2010, 01:03:44 PM
Hello guys,

I've designed a tube preamp using the Russian 6n16b double triode. Is a miniature triode with a maximum anode voltage of 100v. The heaters eat abou 400mA @6.3v (is the standard heater voltage). I used about 80v for anode voltage.
You could also use 6N17b as  a substitute for 6n16b (6n17b have much more gain then 6n16b but the maximum anode voltage is 200v).
6n16b and 16n17b are submini double triodes...
Actually these tubes can work with higher voltages. If you measure voltage where R3 and C2 are connected to the plate, you'll see that plate voltage is much lower than the voltage from your power supply. 6n16b and 6n17b maximum plate voltages are almost the same as 6n1p or 6n2p (12ax7) have, so make a conclusion.... :icon_biggrin:

Littlekid

Hello,

I'm new in Tube and new in this forum.

I get a circuit of buffer amp using 6N16B with B+ 37V but the cathode resistor is connect to a CCS to -37V instead of ground.

I want to post the circuit but I don't know how to make it.

Would someone help me to analysis the charateristic ? what is the performance difference if remove the CCS ?