Geo parapedal project op-amp

Started by numpty, March 13, 2010, 05:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

numpty

What is the recommended op-amp for this project please? :icon_question:

Paul Marossy

You can use a pair of any low noise dual opamps - TL072, NE5532, etc.

numpty

Thanks for that Paul, :icon_biggrin: the next question is: what is the capacitance of C3? as I have just noticed that it doesn't appear on the layout, neither does the type of diode which is D1. :icon_question:

Paul Marossy

The exact value of C3 is still unknown, AFAIK. I used a 0.01uF cap in mine based on something I remember being told about (by RG, I think). It's been a while since I built it.

D1 is just a polarity protection diode. A 1N4148 or 1N4001 could be used for that.

numpty

Thanks, I'll try that then, BTW were you happy with the results?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: numpty on March 14, 2010, 02:48:37 PM
Thanks, I'll try that then, BTW were you happy with the results?

Yeah, I think it sounds great. I need to break it out and start using it again.

numpty

Paul Marossy

danielzink

Funny - I just finished one of these up re: RG's layout - I think I even PM'd Paul about some values - I used a .01 for C3 and 4558's

Dan

joegagan

beautiful! in and out.  ;D

not too sure how that dual gang will hold up, please let us know.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on March 15, 2010, 08:17:54 PM

+1

numpty

This might seem an obvious question but are the cap values in nanofarads on RG's schematic, as I noticed that the C1 is 10n on the posted interior photo of the PCB but 103 on the schematic?

MarcoMike

the dual pot should work... I made an expression pedal with one of those and it works great, for almost 1 year now.

numpty, 103 is the "secret code" for capacitors. means 10x10^3 pF, which is 10n
many caps are marked that way... it took me ages to understand them... I was never sure (maybe even now, I am wrong... )

I really would like to build this pedal as well...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

danielzink

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 16, 2010, 12:04:55 AM
Quote from: joegagan on March 15, 2010, 08:17:54 PM

+1

It's actually the same pot that Chicago Iron uses in their Parapedal kits. I bought one of those kits ages ago and did something silly to the pot (can't quite remember what....probably hysterical memory loss......     :D     ) - anyhow - I called them and they were like "just run up to Radio Shack and get a blah-blah-blah pot......it's what we use...."

Dan

flintstoned

I need one of those -blah-blah pots! Radio crack? Hows that pinion stay on? Flat sided pot?
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

numpty

The capacitor  has a capacitance of 103 (10 x 1000 pF = 0.01 µF). So C5 is 0.1uf . It's little a bit confusing though, you might expect to see this printed on a cap but not normally in a schematic. I usually test small caps to be sure.

danielzink

Quote from: flintstoned on March 16, 2010, 07:33:59 AM
I need one of those -blah-blah pots! Radio crack? Hows that pinion stay on? Flat sided pot?

Yup Radio Shack - if you go into the store I think it's the only dual gang they carry - 100k maybe ? (can't quite remember).

The pinion gear is the "standard" flatted circle gear. I  carefully dremeled out most of the flat so that there was still a bit of flat and was a good press fit on the shaft (that's what she said.....)

Dan

joegagan

oh, ok , i recall that part being for sale at radio shack, it was stocked as a fader for stereo speakers if i recall correctly. i have a few of those laying around.

the newest radio shacks that have opened here do not have any electronic parts. they are closing the old ones gradually and replacing them.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on March 16, 2010, 09:43:41 AM
the newest radio shacks that have opened here do not have any electronic parts. they are closing the old ones gradually and replacing them.

Yeah, I don't even bother with them anymore. Only for special circumstances will I go to a RadioShack these days.

Anyway, those dual pots will last a while. But you'll have to replace them once in a while if you use your pedal a lot. They won't last like one of those Dunlop "Hot Potz II" pots will.

numpty