Need a tester for the new Neovibe-in-a-wah-shell layout

Started by R.G., March 14, 2010, 07:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

I have a layout of a Neovibe-in-a-wah-shell variant that needs tested. I simply don't have time to do this, so I'd like to get a volunteer or two to make one up and provide me with feedback about whether it's forum ready or not.

The board is designed to drop right into a Crybaby shell of the vintage that had the board connected to a ten-position connector which connected the board to the jacks, pot, etc. Some reworking of the wiring is needed, but the connector is probably salvageable. It can also be wired in with soldered-in wires instead of the connector.

It's a tight layout as DIY boards go, although pretty mundane as the industry sees PCBs. The design rules are 0.012 trace and space - that's smallest traces 0.012" wide and 0.012" spaces between any two isolated conductors. This puts it at the very edge of what toner transfer can do. UV/photo would be much better and should be a walk in the park if you do this process with any regularity.

This layout is NOT a beginner project, even when you get the board etched. It requires good soldering skills to complete, even with a perfect PCB, and you simply have to find the right parts, not be salvaging parts out of old toasters and microwave ovens to complete it well. I did make sure Mouser current stocks the right parts, so this should not be an issue, but then I have seen some odd things happen when people go looking for parts over the years.

So - men, this is probably a suicide mission. Whoever goes may never come back. Do I have any volunteers?

:icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

zeeman

RG,

If someone makes a PCB for me (John Lyons? I'll even pay for it), and if I can easily get the parts (I do not want to order from 10 different places), I will build it.

Can you send me a schematic and/or BOM? I already have PLENTY of parts on hand so I would be interested to see what I do not have.

zeeman

smallbearelec

Hi R. G.--

Please drop me a B.O.M. so that I can be sure that I have everything needed for this one. Does it use the same photocells as the Neo? If so, please note that Silonex has agreed to make me a bunch of NSL-7530, but Not hermetically sealed. So they will have the good resistance curve but will be less expensive.

R.G.

Quote from: smallbearelec on March 14, 2010, 11:22:31 PM
Please drop me a B.O.M. so that I can be sure that I have everything needed for this one. Does it use the same photocells as the Neo? If so, please note that Silonex has agreed to make me a bunch of NSL-7530, but Not hermetically sealed. So they will have the good resistance curve but will be less expensive.
I can do that, but the parts changes are quite minimal. Yes, it uses the same LDRs. Same everything, in fact, with the exceptions that:
- all transistors except the first three are integrated darlingtons, like MPSA13/14, and there is one more than the stock list of darlingtons
- it uses a VT5C3/2 centertapped opto module to replace the dual pot
- it has trimmers for the mix adjust and DC bias on the bulb  on board, same footprint as the Bourns 3306 trimmers.
- film caps are stock values, but in the 0.2" pin spacing box film package
- 1uF electros are 4mm diameter package.
- there's another 1K resistor 8-)
- a ten-position right angle pin header will make it compatible with the connector in a Crybaby; alas, the wires will have to be rescrambled, I couldn't keep the same pin definitions without giving up vibe function.

There's not a lot of change over the stock neovibe circuit. Maybe you need to stock VT5C3/2, header and trimmer values, but I suspect that you already have everything else.

Hmm. You might want to stock the other parts for replacing a stock wah shell, minus the PCB assembly. I assumed that there would be a donor Dunlop GCB-95 rocker with everything in it but the wah PCB.

But probably you should wait until we get it verified.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

smallbearelec

Quote from: R.G. on March 15, 2010, 12:04:35 AM
There's not a lot of change over the stock neovibe circuit. Maybe you need to stock VT5C3/2, header and trimmer values...might want to stock the other parts for replacing a stock wah shell, minus the PCB assembly...But probably you should wait until we get it verified.

So I am in pretty good shape, because I have the opto and can get the other bits. The Eleca shell, my SKU 2600, has proven a good sub for the GCB-95 chassis. But, yes, I will await the OK from your "guinea pig(s)."

Auke Haarsma

RG, I volunteer. Please drop me a PM or contact me at my email (aukehaarsma at gmail dot com).

I' ve got a bunch of wah shells lying around, I am considering building another vibe anyway, so this fits quite perfectly. I have recently switched to Photo/UV, so that should be no problem either.

zeeman

RG,

I built a Univibe from your layout 13/14 years ago and I still have parts left over from then including the LDRs from Mouser.

Yes, it uses the same LDRs.

As mentioned above, I still have LDRs from my build way back when. I also have some other LDRs.

- all transistors except the first three are integrated darlingtons, like MPSA13/14, and there is one more than the stock list of darlingtons

I only have three (3) MPSA13's on hand, but I can very easily get more.

- it uses a VT5C3/2 centertapped opto module to replace the dual pot

I think you meant VTL5C3/2? If so, have four (4) on hand but like the MPSA13's, I can easily get more if needed.

I have bunch left over from when I built my Univibe.

- it has trimmers for the mix adjust and DC bias on the bulb  on board, same footprint as the Bourns 3306 trimmers.

I am a little short on trimmers these days - what values would I need? I may already have them.

- film caps are stock values, but in the 0.2" pin spacing box film package

I have plenty of Panasonic ECQ-V (50V) and ECQ-B (50V). I will have to go look to see if these are 0.2" spacing.

- a ten-position right angle pin header will make it compatible with the connector in a Crybaby; alas, the wires will have to be rescrambled, I couldn't keep the same pin definitions without giving up vibe function.

... a stock wah shell, minus the PCB assembly. I assumed that there would be a donor Dunlop GCB-95 rocker with everything in it but the wah PCB.

I do not have a wah shell with the ten-position right angle pin connector. Maybe some one is willing to sell me one?

zeeman

MikeH

Is this smaller than the typical 1uFs sold by smallbear?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH