News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

A Firefly is born....

Started by therecordingart, March 17, 2010, 09:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therecordingart

I'm only unhappy about three aspects of this build...

-My bit that drilled the pilot holes for the tubes to pass through must've wandered leaving them off center. I can't put a shield over the middle tube (I'll need to widen the hole).
-Mouser has a backorder on the switch used for "Boost" so I had to sub a Rat Shack switch
-I lost one of the standoffs for the PCB which leaves an open hole in the chassis

But this thing sounds great! I work at a commercial recording studio part time and will have sound clips soon...

John Lyons

Cool!
No need to shield the tube.
For audio applications it doesn't do much if anything.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

DougH

Looks nice! Love the graphic!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

jacobyjd

LOVE it. I'm so dying to build an amp--too many repair projects sitting around :(
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

therecordingart

Thank you all.

The graphic I got from "Googling" firefly and looked through some clipart. This was my first time using waterslide decals and building tube gear. Now I'm not so intimidated by either. The sound that comes out of this thing really exceeded my expectations...especially running it direct. I'm using a Behringer GI-100 with a 100w/8 ohm dummy load that I got from Parts Express. The cab emulation on the Behringer unit isn't bad at all.

I think I have a new addiction....tubes!

punkin

Snatch up the PCB while you can...they're going out of production from what I'm hearing.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

therecordingart

Quote from: punkin on March 19, 2010, 05:02:39 PM
Snatch up the PCB while you can...they're going out of production from what I'm hearing.

The upside is that John made the .pcb file available if you choose to mod the layout or order direct from Express PCB. I'm sure it'd be pretty expensive ordering in single quantities though.

John Lyons

Many have been made without the PCB. Mine included. It's a simple amp to build.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

punkin

Yep...that's how I built mine...mostly because I wanted to make some mods...added a switchable tone stack, line out and a master volume control. Very rewarding build and a great sounding little amplifier. I also went with a torroidal power transformer...cheaper and no worries about placement. I think everyone should give this build a try.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

Brymus

Yeah thats nice,I so want to build one.
What toriodal did you use,I see a hammond in the pics?
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

chrisrbr

Nice Job.
I built one of these a few years ago into a Champ cab--love it.  Use it for most of my practicing at home.  Don't need to unpack my gigging amp.