How do you identify small capacitors with tiny markings?

Started by jasonled75, March 23, 2010, 02:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonled75

I was just looking through the parts that came with my next project, and I cant read the markings on some of the small capacitors. Does anyone know of an easy way to check these? I usually do it by the actual size but some of these are pretty close and it makes it hard to tell.
Thanks
:)

jkokura

If you have a DMM that measures capacitance, that could do it.

Also, if there's markings, see if you can use a magnifying glass...

Jacob

jasonled75

Thanks man I forgot my DMM had a capacitance setting DUH! I got them all identified but the two smallest and I cant see them with a magnifying glass either. According to the materails list these two should be a 0.0033ųF and a 0.047ųF I tried them on all 3 capacitance settings but they wouldnt read (200 2k and 20k MFD). Maybe they are just to small for my meter. Anyway I think I have them figured out by size. Thanks again for the help.

Oh and I wanted to share a tip for anyone who gets a grab bag of parts. Once you get them Identified you can write them on the back of a styrofoam plate then poke the part in there so you dont forget what they are. I do this cause I have terminal CRS (cant remeber sh*t) and bad eyesight.Im sure Im not the first person to do this, just wanted to share what works for me.

Thanks again
J

Paul Marossy

That's one reason why I keep a magnifying glass at my workbench.  :icon_wink:

Mark Hammer

I usually scrape any tarnish off the leads of caps that I try to measure with my meter.  Some sockets on meters don't grip the leads of caps particularly tight, so you need all the help you can get.