worst commercial stompbox design

Started by knealebrown, March 28, 2010, 07:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosapotamus

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 31, 2010, 03:02:12 PM
...but if it won't fit on my pedal board without making huge sacrifices, it's not even up for consideration for me.

Ditto! And the biggest design factor that most often keeps a pedal from making it to my pedal board is the horizontal space requirement.

I try to design all the pedals I build with a vertical orientation with all the jacks on the top. It makes routing all the wires very straightforward and IMHO is the most efficient use of space. A 1590B oriented horizontally with the jacks on the sides (a la zvex) takes up practically as much horizontal real estate as a 1590BB oriented horizontally with the jacks on the sides. So, in my mind, there is no benefit to using the smaller 1590B in a horizontal orientation like that unless all the jacks are on top.

I like the new EHX pedals in the die cast aluminum enclosures, too. But there is still so much space inside those larger enclosures, like the new bass micro synth, for example. Why the hell couldn't they have put the jacks on the top? With the jacks on the sides, they end up taking up as much horizontal pedalboard space as the old folded steel enclosures. ???

Also, if a pedal can't run on a 9VDC power supply, it's not very likely to stay on my board. I use a small board, usually with no more than 4 or 5 pedals (sometimes less) and power it with a daisy chain. Works for me. Using a Voodoo Labs or similar PSU that can supply multiple different voltages takes up too much additional space.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Hides-His-Eyes

The HOG gets away with it a bit  i guess because

a) NOTHING else does freeze-gliss

and

b) It's an all in one octaver/harmonizer/filter with expression control and presets.

I find it funny that electro harmonix use enclosure size as an 'excuse' to go to SMD in XO pedals when you can easily fit a standard muff in a BB case...

Paul Marossy

Quote from: moosapotamus on March 31, 2010, 03:45:33 PM
Also, if a pedal can't run on a 9VDC power supply, it's not very likely to stay on my board. I use a small board, usually with no more than 4 or 5 pedals (sometimes less) and power it with a daisy chain. Works for me. Using a Voodoo Labs or similar PSU that can supply multiple different voltages takes up too much additional space.

Yeah, I could say the same thing.

Taylor

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on March 31, 2010, 03:48:08 PM
The HOG gets away with it a bit  i guess because

a) NOTHING else does freeze-gliss

and

b) It's an all in one octaver/harmonizer/filter with expression control and presets.

I find it funny that electro harmonix use enclosure size as an 'excuse' to go to SMD in XO pedals when you can easily fit a standard muff in a BB case...

I agree here. There's just so much happening in a HOG, that IMO it's reasonable for it to take up that much space. But I'm not a gigging musician, so my opinion in such a matter is not worth much. I'll always take more knobs and features instead of smaller size.

jacobyjd

From what I've seen of the HOG, it almost DOES make itself the keystone of your sound. I don't know many people that have a HOG that don't use it to the fullest extent. I could justify its size there.

I don't have to put my jacks on the top of the enclosure (especially if I'm using a B-size box), but I definitely try to avoid it with a sideways-oriented BB. I can't see the value in the Zvex-style setup either.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Taylor

I'm surprised more people aren't turned off by the ZVex stomp-to-knob proximity. I haven't owned any ZVex gear, but I would imagine it would be tough for a moderately animated rock guitarist wearing Doc Martins to stomp the bypass without moving the knobs. But I haven't heard much complaint about this.

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: jacobyjd on March 31, 2010, 06:41:35 PM
From what I've seen of the HOG, it almost DOES make itself the keystone of your sound. I don't know many people that have a HOG that don't use it to the fullest extent. I could justify its size there.

I don't have to put my jacks on the top of the enclosure (especially if I'm using a B-size box), but I definitely try to avoid it with a sideways-oriented BB. I can't see the value in the Zvex-style setup either.

Call me tin foil hat man, but here's my theory:

Zvex KNOWS that it's a bad setup; in fact, it's such a bad idea that nobody else would be stupid enough to do it. So they don't, not the DIYers, not other pedal builders, just zack TM.

All of a sudden, everybody recognises those 'sideways pedals with the cool paint' as zvex, and his brand awareness is 10x less of a struggle.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Taylor on March 31, 2010, 06:53:40 PM
I'm surprised more people aren't turned off by the ZVex stomp-to-knob proximity. I haven't owned any ZVex gear, but I would imagine it would be tough for a moderately animated rock guitarist wearing Doc Martins to stomp the bypass without moving the knobs. But I haven't heard much complaint about this.

I personally don't like how that bypass switch is so close to the knobs, either. But I haven't ever owned a real Z Vex pedal, so I can't say whether it's a bad thing or not.

Taylor

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on March 31, 2010, 07:09:31 PM

Zvex KNOWS that it's a bad setup; in fact, it's such a bad idea that nobody else would be stupid enough to do it. So they don't, not the DIYers, not other pedal builders, just zack TM.

All of a sudden, everybody recognises those 'sideways pedals with the cool paint' as zvex, and his brand awareness is 10x less of a struggle.

I think you're pretty much right. I actually don't think that's why he did that - I think he just thought it was an impressive showcase of his skills to cram things into the smallest box he could. However, I do think that that weird setup which is kind of awkward, as well as the SHO crackle, are some of the reasons that his stuff has taken off so well. People see these weird things which are memorable and quirky, and that sticks in their minds more than more generic stuff that's designed "better" (better here is the engineering kind of better, which means more functional, efficient, sensible from a Vulcan perspective).

dschwartz

hey c´mon, i feel insulted, i design my pedals to fit on a 1590b enclosure with 2 stomps and as much knobs i can fit in there because:
- i don´t like waiste of space
- they look "cute"
- it´s technically challenging, i.e rewarding
- it saves pedalboard space
- EH uses all the big enclosures there are...

i spend a lot of time thinking how to fit a versatile circuit into a small box..please dont call me stupid..
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: dschwartz on March 31, 2010, 07:36:33 PM

hey c´mon, i feel insulted, i design my pedals to fit on a 1590b enclosure with 2 stomps and as much knobs i can fit in there because:
- they look "cute"

i spend a lot of time thinking how to fit a versatile circuit into a small box..please dont call me stupid..

Do you put the pedals horizontally with side jacks, or vertically with side jacks like a normal person?

It's not the enclosure size, it's the layout which annoys.

jacobyjd

- they look "cute"

Haha--it's kinda funny--I love your Texas Brownie design, but the only thing I'd change is to put it in a larger enclosure. I don't think your builds are unimpressive--the form factor is just undesirable for me, given my shoe size any my uncanny ability to step on pots :)

Some people seem to like that form factor, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as a live musician to go that route. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's stupid, though.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Hides-His-Eyes

I didn't mean to insult anybody! If there's one thing we learn from music gear it's the value of subjectivity.

Sorry to anyone who thinks I was trying to call them stupid, no offense was meant...  :icon_redface:

philbinator1

what do you guys think of the newer (i think) mxr stuff?  the 'blowtorch' comes to mind, it's actually in the shape of a shoe! 
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

philbinator1

Quote from: philbinator1 on March 31, 2010, 10:06:27 PM
what do you guys think of the newer (i think) mxr stuff?  the 'blowtorch' comes to mind, it's actually in the shape of a shoe! 

edie - i mean, the pots are.   ;D
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

dschwartz

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on March 31, 2010, 07:44:23 PM

- they look "cute"

Do you put the pedals horizontally with side jacks, or vertically with side jacks like a normal person?

It's not the enclosure size, it's the layout which annoys.
i put the pedals horizontally but with the jacks on the top..saves a lot of space on the pedal board since you can put other pedals right beside them..tough fit though!
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Kearns892

Maybe, but I don't think it's such a bad idea. The past 2-3 pages of this thread have been full of many peoples concerns on "Realty". Sideways boxes allow for more controls to be positioned in a well spaced out, semi-ergonomic fashion. I think a size-able share of the pedal consumer market would take sideways pedals over slightly more bulky pedals even if they have to have more controlled stomps. Still I see the value in your point. To each his own I guess; that's probably why the modern world makes several dozen brands of practically identical things, and that's not just Overdrives  :icon_rolleyes:

philbinator1

Re: RG's idea about jacks on the bottom, just thought you could put the dc jack on the bottom too.  nothin' but pedals!   :icon_idea:

Taylor

Yep, then the next evolution of that idea is to have a pedalboard with I/O and power plugs sticking out of it, so your pedals pop into place like an NES cartridge.

walker