Help with TonePad Range Master/Treble Boost Build

Started by Lizard King, July 24, 2013, 10:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizard King

This is probably the easiest build out there but I seem to have done it again.  The unit works - it even sounds trebley but it is about half volume.  The level pot takes it from nothing to full boost, but full boost is around half of what I get when I switch it out.

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=83

Changes:
I didn't use any of the Millennium Bypass stuff.
I didn't have a 2N5087 so I used a cheapo 2N5088.  Is there a transistor that would give more gain?
I didn't have a 120K resistor so I used 110K for R2.  I was going to add a 10K in series but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Voltages:
E=5.5
B=6.1
C=7.6

Thanks.

Govmnt_Lacky

2N5087 is a PNP transistor

2N5088 is an NPN transistor

If the circuit calls for a PNP transistor then you need to use a PNP. Probably causing your problems  ;)

ALWAYS check component datasheets if you are not familiar with it  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Lizard King

D'OH!   :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: That has to be it.  I thought I read somewhere 5087 & 5088's were direct replacements.......
Is 5087 the best transistor for this application?

LucifersTrip

the best would probably be a germanium, but that layout calls for 2N5087, so if you're going silicon, no reason to screw with a working layout from a good company. of course, you can try any pnp si you have on hand to hear what's best for you. make notes on the C voltage when you're experimenting.
always think outside the box

PRR

2N5086 2N5087 are similar, both PNP; the '87 bin gets the higher-gain parts. In many circuits, either will work.

2N5088 2N5089 are similar, both NPN; the '89 bin gets the higher-gain parts. In many circuits, either will work.

But you normally can't get a NPN to work in a PNP job.
  • SUPPORTER