Tuning an OD to an Amp?

Started by pedalpusher, September 09, 2011, 10:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalpusher

I've thought about this. I have a Bugera V22 that I like a lot but most TS type OD's I've been through sound better through my HRDx. It seems like the mids are different and the top end on The V22 is brighter. Of course I just turn down the tone control but there's no way to revoice the mids w/o changing a few parts. Can someone point a novice to some info on how to play with the midrange voicing on a TS type OD? I'd be happy to breadboard it and build the circuit when it's dialed in.

slacker

Have a read of this http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm it explains what everything does in a TS type circuit.

petemoore

Tube Reamer shows the fragments 'critical' to the distortions, sounds a bit more 'lively by reports, hasn't the buffer/switching circuits for in/out, and can easily be experimented with by doing re-voice mods.
   Popular posts include TS mods like open up the bass and revoice the circuit, obviously messing with the diode configurations / thresholds and the input drive/preboost ? buffer ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

pedalpusher

Quote from: petemoore on September 10, 2011, 12:39:47 PM
  Tube Reamer shows the fragments 'critical' to the distortions, sounds a bit more 'lively by reports, hasn't the buffer/switching circuits for in/out, and can easily be experimented with by doing re-voice mods.
   Popular posts include TS mods like open up the bass and revoice the circuit, obviously messing with the diode configurations / thresholds and the input drive/preboost ? buffer ?

Yeah I read that after posting this. Good read. I think I'd build a "Son of a Screamer" and play with the values around the clipping stage first.