pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielzink

Celery_Strat

a soBer Newt

This is an old amp that i took out of a reel to reel that was not longer working using 2 of the 3 12ax7 the output tube is a 6AQ5A. Still need to replace the filter cap but it works and sounds great maxed.

HOTTUBES

To all who have posted there custom work on this thread !!!

A tip of the Hat to you all !!   Your work is just Incredible !     :o

MikeH

Lots o' fireflies in here... here's mine:

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

tasos

Quote from: MikeH on April 08, 2011, 10:54:28 PM

great!red tolex is so sexy!aren't you going to put a handle on it? :icon_razz:

p_wats

Might be small, and might be solid state, but it's still a guitar amp...and 20 watts too!

It's Taylor's Tiny Giant Amp from musicpcb.com. Great sounding little guy:

MikeH

Quote from: tasos on April 09, 2011, 04:31:52 AM
Quote from: MikeH on April 08, 2011, 10:54:28 PM

great!red tolex is so sexy!aren't you going to put a handle on it? :icon_razz:

I was, but then I thought "I'll never take it out of my house, and it probably weighs about 5 lbs... anywhere I need to move it to, I'll just pick it up and carry it."  And thats what I do.

And that's actually not tolex; it's some vinyl 'marine' fabric I got at the fabric store.  The look is similar, but it's softer to the touch.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: p_wats on October 14, 2010, 11:52:16 AM

Can someone tell me what is the name of this particular type of PCB/board?

Not the name of the circuit but, the actual name of the board style/material. Its not vero, or regular PCB. It has the posts on the sides of the board to solder point-to-point.

Thanks  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

G. Hoffman

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 10, 2011, 04:15:01 PM
Quote from: p_wats on October 14, 2010, 11:52:16 AM

Can someone tell me what is the name of this particular type of PCB/board?

Not the name of the circuit but, the actual name of the board style/material. Its not vero, or regular PCB. It has the posts on the sides of the board to solder point-to-point.

Thanks  ;D

It's a turret board.

Gabriel

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: G. Hoffman on April 10, 2011, 04:45:26 PM
It's a turret board.

Thanks Gabriel. I dont use them personally but, I recently came across a few brand new TURRET BOARDS and had no idea what they were  :icon_redface:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

p_wats

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 10, 2011, 05:35:24 PM
Quote from: G. Hoffman on April 10, 2011, 04:45:26 PM
It's a turret board.

Thanks Gabriel. I dont use them personally but, I recently came across a few brand new TURRET BOARDS and had no idea what they were  :icon_redface:

It's a homemade turret board using plexi-glass (I think) and rivets. Does the job really well!

I'm trying terminal strips for the next one though...

Thomeeque

Hi, my Vox V212BN, freshly comboized :)

Find more pics here..

Cheers, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

John Lyons

Can we get some better pics Thomeeque?  :D (a joke)
Nice work!! Can you tell us more about the amplifier in there?
What is it actually?

Great job.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Thomeeque

Quote from: John Lyons on May 15, 2011, 02:36:31 AM
Can we get some better pics Thomeeque?  :D (a joke)
Nice work!! Can you tell us more about the amplifier in there?
What is it actually?

Great job.

Thanks, John!!

Conceptually it is one channel solid state 35W/16Ω (50W/8Ω) guitar amp with guitar level input, Bright boost switch, 3-band EQ, Gain and (Master) Volume controls and very simple "tube-amp modelling" (just simple soft-clipping applied at the pre-amp out). There is only "Standby" (Mute) switch, no power switch (it significantly simplifies lethal wiring and first tests show no drawbacks so far, quiescent load from mains is cca 6W), dual-color LED indicates actual state (RED = standby, GREEN = on).

Primary goal was to get transparent PA for the signal already completely cooked by my pedalboard, but it is able to be overdriven to blues/rock kind of distortion in simple guitar->cable->amp configuration.

As an pre-amp I have used just very slightly modified Rod Elliott's pre-amp from his 100W Guitar Amplifier Mk II project (I have removed R2, LO in, VR4, R10 and whole output buffer and I have replaced R12 by A100k "GAIN" pot.. and bridged Bright switch by 100k resistor to make it's switching popless.. and used 7815/7915 pair for ±15VDC regulation).

As an power amp I have used LM3886 based kit.

There are few threads related:

LM3886: Vs = ±35VDC, Load = 16Ω, Pout = 35W - right?
Solid-state guitar combo amp: using speaker-forced airflow for cooling heatsink
optimal toroidal transformer mounting
Old CPU-cooler as an LM3886 heat-sink

I'm still testing it (my biggest concerns are LM3886 cooling and danger of parasite sound effects caused by stuff added inside), so far I've used it only at one rehearsal and it seemed OK (but it was a cool day and I could not go to the highest volume levels), today is next rehearsal and at Wednesday we have a gig (and that's where it all will go wrong :icon_mrgreen:  .. but I'll have some backup there).

Cheers, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

John Lyons

Very nice, thanks for the details.  :icon_wink:

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Unkn0wn Art1st

my first amp :3

Inspired by old soviet solid state transformer design. Totally recycled btw

some guts:

now working on power supply, more pics soon.

Taylor

terminalgs

5E3 circuit in an old webcor cabinet.   10" weber alnico.
point to point with tag strips, two chassis's, (upper
and lower),   hand made.